By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct

hunter_alien said:
Limited time offer? I get why they are doing this for the physical copies, but why on the digital platform? Honestly, this is kind off shitty towards anyone who is going to buy a switch after the time ends... you are literally buying a system with an inferior game collection than the ones who bought it before you.

Probably because they're going to release an updated All-Stars with Galaxy 2 next year. Then, those with the original get it as a free update. The original is then fully de-listed and replaced entirely with the new one.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

After the Limited time sale period I'm expecting them to sell each game at a separate price and add in Galaxy 2 for those who already have it then launch another physical copy with all 4 games included and refresh the digital listing.

trunkswd said:
I am looking forward to 3D All-Stars, but why isn't Galaxy 2 part of it? Seems strange. Everything else shown off doesn't interest me.

Probably not ready to release Galaxy 2. Was likely planned as part of it but COVID slowed it down and they had to get out what they could. Most likely they'll do a DLC update - hopefully free! - that includes Galaxy 2, and at the same time, de-list the original while releasing the updated All-Stars+ with Galaxy included from the start.

SW-5120-1900-6153

This is weird...I really didn't like that direct. That's super weird because I am going to be picking up two of the games shown for certain. I guess the persistent leaks giving it away really limited my ability to get hyped.

Super Mario 3D Land + Bowser's thingie is...yeah! cool! I liked this game a lot on WiiU, and it'll be nice to play it on Switch. The new area/dungeon/mode vaguely looks cool so I approve (looks like a single open-world level). And it comes out right before my birthday.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars is also another game I'm going to get, but the lack of Galaxy 2 has me wondering what's going on there. Plus I was genuinely expecting Mario 64 to have the DS upgrades and maybe a graphical upgrade to Sunshine levels. Super disappointing, but still a good game pack.

The rest was a whole lot of 'hey, that's a cool idea that I don't care about'. Mario Bros on a Game and Watch? why? Mario Kart Live in your living room? Alright I guess, I bet that'd be cool for like 30 minutes. That Mario Runner Battle royale? Yeah, just another online thingie that I'll never play like Tetris 99. Not a bad concept, to be sure, but it'd be far better if it was literally anything other than Mario Bros 1 (I hate that game's physics and have since Mario Bros 3 came out and outdid it in literally every way). Super Mario All-Stars coming out on the Switch Online thing? yeah that was a given, wasn't it?

Very little of this felt like news. I'll still play the games for sure, but man I was underwhelmed. 4/10.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

thetonestarr said:
hunter_alien said:
Limited time offer? I get why they are doing this for the physical copies, but why on the digital platform? Honestly, this is kind off shitty towards anyone who is going to buy a switch after the time ends... you are literally buying a system with an inferior game collection than the ones who bought it before you.

Probably because they're going to release an updated All-Stars with Galaxy 2 next year. Then, those with the original get it as a free update. The original is then fully de-listed and replaced entirely with the new one.

If only we all had your positivity.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

I'm hoping right now that maybe they also include SM64DS as an add-on too. I appreciate getting the original SM64 but I DO also like the content additions from the DS version.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Just Preordered. Atleast a 15 day wait isn’t that bad

UnderwaterFunktown said:
thetonestarr said:

If only we all had your positivity.

Given COVID's impact on their dev times, it makes sense that they wanted to include SMG2 but just couldn't meet the deadline. That combined with the *digital* limited release makes this the only really logical conclusion.

Granted, yes, Nintendo likes to do illogical all the time ($60 for SM3DW+? I'm buying it used and Nintendo is getting none of my money for that), but at least *logically*, my prediction makes the best sense. Nintendo may decide to charge for the Galaxy 2 update, but really I'm not expecting it.

SW-5120-1900-6153

trunkswd said:
thetonestarr said:

Probably not ready to release Galaxy 2. Was likely planned as part of it but COVID slowed it down and they had to get out what they could. Most likely they'll do a DLC update - hopefully free! - that includes Galaxy 2, and at the same time, de-list the original while releasing the updated All-Stars+ with Galaxy included from the start.

If it is free than I've got no problem with it coming out later. Could explain why it is a limited release. Though knowing Nintendo they will still charge people money for it. Though $60 for 3 of the best Mario games isn't a complete rip-off. Mario 64 is my favorite Mario game of all time followed by Odyssey than the 2 Galaxy games.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to actually charge for the update, but I'm not expecting it. If they do, it'll be $15 or $20 most likely (leaning towards $20), but because I believe they honestly intended to include it as a pack-in for 3D All-Stars from the start, I think it'll be a free update. 

The one thing I am fully certain of, though, is that the Galaxy 2 inclusion is 100% why this version of the game is a limited run.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I'm absolutely amazed by how many times Nintendo is able to fuck up in 2 minutes.

- No graphical or technical improvements besides the bump in resolution
- Mario 64 runs at 24fps 24 years after its release
- Mario Sunshine runs at 30fps 18 years after its release
- Mario Galaxy 2 apparently never existed. It was just a dream
- Limited physical copies
- Limited time to purchase it digitally
- It costs 60 dolars. 60 dolars. And then you have Spyro Reignited or Crash N'Sane for 40 bucks.

Seriously... fuck Nintendo. The fucked up things that I wasn't even aware they could do wrong (limited copies? digital sales on a timer? WTF).

I'm not buying this. I really want Galaxy and Sunshine on my Switch, but not like this.