By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August NPD 2020: Switch 504k, PS4 197k, XBO 45k

Are people really surprised LoU2 is front loaded? Most big games are, especially those without MP. It's already on sale.

Switch performance is just stupid. I don't follow LTD stuff, how close is it to PS4? It is all but guaranteed to pass PS4 eventually now?

Around the Network

Ridiculous Switch sales for August.

PS4 isn't even down YoY... What is up with this year.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Are people really surprised LoU2 is front loaded? Most big games are, especially those without MP. It's already on sale.

Switch performance is just stupid. I don't follow LTD stuff, how close is it to PS4? It is all but guaranteed to pass PS4 eventually now?

It's not guaranteed but launch aligned VgChartz has the Switch almost 5 millions over the PS4 and it's about to enter the holiday season while the PS4 is entering the summer. So Switch should keep a good lead for the next year atleast. 

LudicrousSpeed said:

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/445316/switch-vs-ps4-sales-comparison-switch-lead-nears-5-million-in-august-2020/

SilenceDeadly said:

Ps4 also a monster, insane year once again. 120-130M LT without major price cut, if they cut to 149$ it could easily sell to Fifa/Cod crowd during the next 2/3 years in the millions, so 140M+ could be in play. 

That doesn't seem to be the route Sony is taking.

With their statement about wanting to transition to next gen faster than in the past, and the fact PS4 is still $300 as it nears replacement, it just doesn't seem like they're planning to push PS4 in the way you describe.

Around the Network
SilenceDeadly said:

Ps4 also a monster, insane year once again. 120-130M LT without major price cut, if they cut to 149$ it could easily sell to Fifa/Cod crowd during the next 2/3 years in the millions, so 140M+ could be in play. 

They can but they won’t do it, the max  they will do is $199 and get rid of the pro.

At the moment, sales for 2020 are tracking around 3 million units more ahead compare to what the PS3 was doing in 2013 before getting replace it, So who knows if they ever going to cut the price. 

If that's how much the Switch did in August with no major new releases.

Imagine what September will be like with Mario 3D All Stars...

What's the all time NPD record for console sales in the month of September?

PAOerfulone said:

Wii in 2008 sold 687k. Switch will probably break it as long as Nintendo ships enough.

And this is happening while Nintendo is still trying to keep up with producing and shipping stock..
What did people say again in regards to a price cut this year?

And with the recent announcements, Nintendo is poised for another solid holiday season even against new next-gen consoles.
Its pretty insane.

p0isonparadise said:
PAOerfulone said:

Wii in 2008 sold 687k. Switch will probably break it as long as Nintendo ships enough.

That's the catch-22, ain't it?

I'm sure they will. This IS Mario we're talking about. He's Mr. Nintendo. I'm sure they had a lot of shipments planned in advance, even before the Covid-outbreak, in anticipation for this release.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 14 September 2020