By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or RTX 3080 (Lol update)

What would be wisest?

PS5 54 44.26%

RTX 3080 49 40.16%

Neither, you don't need a... 19 15.57%

Total:122
ViktorBKK said:
Random_Matt said:

That's entirely on the individual, 144 FPS is a requirement for plenty of people.

Sure for 1440/144fps, you don't even need a 10GB buffer, even 8GB would be enough.

But aren't there cheaper cards today, that are good enough for 1440 / 144fps ?

Not really, a 2080 TI may get closest. But no point in buying one of those.

Around the Network

I'm running a 1660Ti right now. Gonna upgrade to a 3080, myself, when it fits into my budget.

I 100% also want a PS5, particularly because I skipped the PS4, but also agree that at launch isn't the most appropriate time for that.

SW-5120-1900-6153

ArchangelMadzz said:

Yeah but obviously that requires more money, plus you're talking about future tech that doesn't exist today so you could make an argument "Well a PS7 could run 8K so there aren't constraints" but it doesn't exist yet and we don't even have the display bandwidth standards to do higher than 8k60fps.

Indeed.
However, Multi-monitor gaming is a thing which allows you to take 6x displays and "stitch them together" which gets around the single display bandwidth issue for 16k and higher resolutions.

ArchangelMadzz said:

1440p is the best resolution for PC in a value sense, but now that it's possible to play games at max settings 4k60fps the people that do want to do that can

Don't get me wrong, if that is what someone wants to do, go full hog.

Random_Matt said:
Kristof81 said:
I don't understand, why people attempt to make purchase decisions, knowing so little about the products themselves. Don't fall into that marketing trap and just wait until everything's released and properly benchmarked, including Big Navi.

Unless they combat GDDR6X with HBM, then I would simply skip it. They will probably release a card between the 3080 and 3070, AMD are MIA at the mo and probably crying.

Wish they sell the GPU business to Samsung or something, their division is so low on cash it shows everytime.

The big issue with GDDR6X is actually DRAM density... We only have 8gbit chips. Aka. 8 bits in a byte equates to 1GB memory chips.
So a GPU with 16GB of memory has 16x of those memory chips but will need to run it in clamshell mode, so two memory chips per bus interface.

It's not really an economical approach... There are developments for 16gbit chips, but I think that will take some time... So AMD will possibly stick with vanilla GDDR6 to take advantage of capacity and cost.

It's going to be very interesting either way, AMD typically adopts newer DRAM technologies faster than nVidia in order to try and gain any advantage they can, but that isn't happening this time around.
Case in point... AMD adopted GDDR5 before nVidia which gave the Radeon 4870 the performance edge who was still stuck using GDDR3 and thus needed twice the memory bus width to match... AMD could thus undercut nVidia significantly on price which made the Radeon 4870 the GPU to have.

ViktorBKK said:
The RTX 3080 is a planned obsolescence card. 10GB VRAM is not enough for next gen. Even consoles have more than that.

I would not buy a GPU(AMD or NVIDIA) with anything less than 16GB VRAM this gen.

Not an apples to apples comparison.

A PC GPU is not a Console.
A PC GPU can dedicate 100% of it's memory to graphics duties... And also has a heap of System memory to fall back onto... Your average mid-range desktop PC sold in 2020 has usually got 8GB of graphics memory and 16GB of system memory or 24GB in total.

A console on the other hand... A % of it's memory needs to be used for background/OS tasks rather than games, the PS4/Xbox One for example had 8GB of Ram, but 3Gb (Give or take as it changed over time) of that was reserved for non-gaming duties... Or 37.5% of total memory couldn't be used for gaming.

The remaining 62.5% of console memory then needed to be split up between graphics duties and other game-related content...

In the end a PC with a 2GB GDDR5 GPU like the Radeon 7870 was pretty much able to provide an equivalent experience to the base Playstation 4 all generation long... No 8GB of GDDR5 was needed, most PC's with a 7870 would have had 8GB~ of system memory as well.

The RTX 3080 will absolutely provide a better experience than the next-gen consoles... The next-gen consoles cannot use all of that 16GB of VRAM for graphics duties anyway... And will certainly rely heavily on the SSD and I/O in order to make that tiny amount of memory go as far as possible.

ViktorBKK said:

10gb won't be even be enough for the end of 2021.

Bit of an assertion... Got any evidence to back that up?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

RTX imo, but maybe both? Very possible I may skip PS5/XSX and just get Switch Pro and this gen of graphics card. These 3000 series are huge upgrades for price, seems like an ideal time to upgrade. It really depends how long the exclusives on PS5 will last and how good they are. If most exclusives are a year like FF7r and a couple good near launch then I will probably get PS5 as well. This announcement if anything hurt the xbox more since you can play almost everything on pc and in games pass.

Pemalite said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Yeah but obviously that requires more money, plus you're talking about future tech that doesn't exist today so you could make an argument "Well a PS7 could run 8K so there aren't constraints" but it doesn't exist yet and we don't even have the display bandwidth standards to do higher than 8k60fps.

Indeed.
However, Multi-monitor gaming is a thing which allows you to take 6x displays and "stitch them together" which gets around the single display bandwidth issue for 16k and higher resolutions.

True, it's just not a good user experience to configure, Like at all ahaha

Last edited by ArchangelMadzz - on 03 September 2020

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Getting a Ps5 will allow you to have access to more games since you can play exclusives where as a 3080 will significantly enhance your existing games and upcoming multi-platform games.

Personally speaking though, as my main interest is in Ratchet and Clank, I would delay my purchase for the ps5 until then if I had to choose.

How does a PS5 allow you to play more games? Exclusives or no exclusives the PC has by far the biggest library of games to choose from, and has more exclusives than consoles.

Sogreblute said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Getting a Ps5 will allow you to have access to more games since you can play exclusives where as a 3080 will significantly enhance your existing games and upcoming multi-platform games.

Personally speaking though, as my main interest is in Ratchet and Clank, I would delay my purchase for the ps5 until then if I had to choose.

How does a PS5 allow you to play more games? Exclusives or no exclusives the PC has by far the biggest library of games to choose from, and has more exclusives than consoles.

The OP says he already has a gaming PC with a 2070 Super so he already has access to the "biggest library of games." Getting a PS5 would allow him to access more games because then he can play PS5 Exclusives in addition to his PC library.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Sogreblute said:

The OP says he already has a gaming PC with a 2070 Super so he already has access to the "biggest library of games." Getting a PS5 would allow him to access more games because then he can play PS5 Exclusives in addition to his PC library.

Yep.

And I will be buying a PS5 still, just unlikely to be at launch considering the exclusives just won't be there to justify £500 or whatever it will be when I could get a massive boost to what I'll be playing on 90% of the time :) 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

PS5

ArchangelMadzz said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yep.

And I will be buying a PS5 still, just unlikely to be at launch considering the exclusives just won't be there to justify £500 or whatever it will be when I could get a massive boost to what I'll be playing on 90% of the time :) 

I dont know man, sony is claiming bigest launch ever. Just looking at the games possibly coming at launch, neaar launch or its first year, its looking like right off the start its a good time to get a ps5. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.