By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or RTX 3080 (Lol update)

What would be wisest?

PS5 54 44.26%

RTX 3080 49 40.16%

Neither, you don't need a... 19 15.57%

Total:122

Voted ps5 because you said

"I'm currently running a 2070 Super which is literally perfectly fine"

May as well get the one that expands your access to more games first.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Kristof81 said:
I don't understand, why people attempt to make purchase decisions, knowing so little about the products themselves. Don't fall into that marketing trap and just wait until everything's released and properly benchmarked, including Big Navi.

Unless they combat GDDR6X with HBM, then I would simply skip it. They will probably release a card between the 3080 and 3070, AMD are MIA at the mo and probably crying.

Wish they sell the GPU business to Samsung or something, their division is so low on cash it shows everytime.

The RTX 3080 is a planned obsolescence card. 10GB VRAM is not enough for next gen. Even consoles have more than that.

I would not buy a GPU(AMD or NVIDIA) with anything less than 16GB VRAM this gen.

Console have 16gb or RAM that is shared between CPU and GPU and its using 13,5gb for games (10 for GPU and 3,5 as System memory)for games. So 10gb is going to be enough for all next gen games.

ViktorBKK said:
The RTX 3080 is a planned obsolescence card. 10GB VRAM is not enough for next gen. Even consoles have more than that.

I would not buy a GPU(AMD or NVIDIA) with anything less than 16GB VRAM this gen.

Unless you play at 4K, you will be fine. Death stranding using DLSS knocks off 2GB usage.

Around the Network
Srex117 said:
Console have 16gb or RAM that is shared between CPU and GPU and its using 13,5gb for games (10 for GPU and 3,5 as System memory)for games. So 10gb is going to be enough for all next gen games.

Consoles don't target Ultra Settings, that's the point.

Do you find it regular that the next model up the line up has 24GB? More than twice as much.

There are games today that will use more than 8GB. Doom Eternal is a good example, and there are worse offenders, right now, not in 2 years from now.

10gb won't be even be enough for the end of 2021.

ViktorBKK said:

Consoles share their ram between the system and the GPU. So it's apples to oranges.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Random_Matt said:
ViktorBKK said:

Unless you play at 4K, you will be fine. Death stranding using DLSS knocks off 2GB usage.

I thought the point of spending 700 dollars is to play at 4K. For 1440p, you can get away with a lot less.

ViktorBKK said:
Random_Matt said:

I thought the point of spending 700 dollars is to play at 4K. For 1440p, you can get away with a lot less.

That's entirely on the individual, 144 FPS is a requirement for plenty of people.

Random_Matt said:
ViktorBKK said:

That's entirely on the individual, 144 FPS is a requirement for plenty of people.

Sure for 1440/144fps, you don't even need a 10GB buffer, even 8GB would be enough.

But aren't there cheaper cards today, that are good enough for 1440 / 144fps ?