By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or RTX 3080 (Lol update)

What would be wisest?

PS5 54 44.26%

RTX 3080 49 40.16%

Neither, you don't need a... 19 15.57%

Total:122
KratosLives said:
are there anygameplay examples of ray tracing advanced on the 3000 series ? I'd wait till the 3000 drops in price, get if something huge comes out on pc that will blow away anything else on market.

I guess this is only video so far that shows what's possible with it (1440p@30fps):

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
KratosLives said:
are there anygameplay examples of ray tracing advanced on the 3000 series ? I'd wait till the 3000 drops in price, get if something huge comes out on pc that will blow away anything else on market.

I guess this is only video so far that shows what's possible with it (1440p@30fps):

It should be noted, that the whole scene is using raytracing. There is nothing prebaked. So, shadows, global illumination, reflections, lights and so on, only done by raytracing in realtime. Most games do only one of those things, be it reflection (BF5) or just shadows (Shadow of the Tomb Raider). Some do a bit more like Control.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Pemalite said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I've yet to play any uncharted game on PC, or killzone, or god of war.. I think saying all come to PC is too soon.

An emulator called "RPCS3" will allow you to play Uncharted 1,2 and 3, The Last of Us on PC. - And improvements are happening rapidly.

Here is Killzone as well.

And here is God of War.

ArchangelMadzz said:

I said in the OP there's nothing wrong with my card and it performs great. But.. given the price of these cards I want to start playing games in 4k without compromising on visuals and frame rate (2070s is more akin to PS5/XSX and will make big sacrifices to do 4k 60fps nevermind RT), which atm is only realistic on the 3000 series cards (that's been announced).

You could push DLSS to tie you over, but if you feel you don't wish to sacrifice any visuals, then perhaps the 3080 is what the doctor ordered.
I mean you are going to get a PS5 either way.

ArchangelMadzz said:

I'm sure the 3090 demo was 8k 60fps but you're probably joking anyway aha. 

Point I was making is that the PC isn't tied to console constraints, you can take things further than 8k for example.
16k? Doable. 32k? Also yes.

In all honesty, I think 1440P is probably the best resolution for PC at the moment, it allows you to drive up temporal resolution. (I.E. 120-360hz) and visual settings.
The PC is also not consoles, we sit and perceive our displays allot differently than what a console gamer would on a television... Super sampled 1440P is pretty damn good.

Oh right I see, I wasn't really considering emulators, it's not really my kind of thing. 

The better the base resolution the better DLSS looks. 1440p ai upscaled to 4k > 1080p ai upscaled to 4k. Plus general graphics settings that demand more VRAM running better anyway. 

Yeah but obviously that requires more money, plus you're talking about future tech that doesn't exist today so you could make an argument "Well a PS7 could run 8K so there aren't constraints" but it doesn't exist yet and we don't even have the display bandwidth standards to do higher than 8k60fps.

1440p is the best resolution for PC in a value sense, but now that it's possible to play games at max settings 4k60fps the people that do want to do that can

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Immersiveunreality said:
A few people mistake this thread for being anti Sony and continue the same rhetoric seen in other threads recent weeks.

So many people just read the title and completely skipped past the part in the OP that said that I'm still getting a PS5, just waiting for the exclusive library to grow first. 

Kristof81 said:
I don't understand, why people attempt to make purchase decisions, knowing so little about the products themselves. Don't fall into that marketing trap and just wait until everything's released and properly benchmarked, including Big Navi.

Well... you can't really buy it until it's released and by then there will be reviews. Also there are benchmarks done by DF where you're not only seeing nvidia's advertised RT improvements, but also their advertised Ras improvements as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWD01yUQdVA&t=537s

Cerebralbore101 said:
4K is completely overrated.

no

Srex117 said:
I rly think, buying console, it is a waste of money no matter if its ps5 or series X. We all know Sony will start transition to PC this gen and you should expect Sony Store for PC in next few years with all ps5 games releasing, at first after 1 or 2 years and then maybe even at the same time on PC. MS is already there. Only blind ppl (or should we call them fanboys?) dont see that. RTX 3080 will get you throught whole gen easily and its better choice then any console. I will buy 3070 to replace 1660Ti because i dont care about 4k, as long as i can play all games 1080p/60 with everything at max i am good and i rly think 3070 will be able to do that,

3060 might be the better option for you when that gets announced. It's overkill and bad value to get a 3070 to play 1080/60. 

Unless you do plan on upgrading to 1440p

Around the Network

Yep 3060 should be great value but i want something that will get me through whole generation. 3070 should be great for 1440p in next 2-3 years and then 1080p for the rest of gen. I have 4k desplay i am just saying that as long as i can do 1080/60 i am happy with gpu and 3070should be able to do that longer the 3060, hell i even think that 1660ti should be great for medium/high 1080p/60 for next 2-3 years

Srex117 said:
Yep 3060 should be great value but i want something that will get me through whole generation. 3070 should be great for 1440p in next 2-3 years and then 1080p for the rest of gen. I have 4k desplay i am just saying that as long as i can do 1080/60 i am happy with gpu and 3070should be able to do that longer the 3060, hell i even think that 1660ti should be great for medium/high 1080p/60 for next 2-3 years

If you got a 4k display, wouldn't it look blurry if you use lower resolutions? 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I'm exactly in the same boat. I was decided on getting a PS5 since I've skipped the the current gen, and there are a ton of PS4 exclusives that I want to play. But the giant leap NVIDIA has presented us with the 3000 series is making me have second thoughts, and if I do so, I'll be upgrading from a 970, so it will be a HUGE improvement. Since Sony is now porting games to PC, I guess I'll end up adopting a 3080.

Diogo said:
I'm exactly in the same boat. I was decided on getting a PS5 since I've skipped the the current gen, and there are a ton of PS4 exclusives that I want to play. But the giant leap NVIDIA has presented us with the 3000 series is making me have second thoughts, and if I do so, I'll be upgrading from a 970, so it will be a HUGE improvement. Since Sony is now porting games to PC, I guess I'll end up adopting a 3080.

970 to 3080 is massive, enjoy!

I'd definitely recommend either getting a PS5 later or picking up a PS4 on the cheap to play the exclusives, it has years of some really fantastic games 

Peh said:

If you got a 4k display, wouldn't it look blurry if you use lower resolutions? 

I dont play anything on monitor, i use TV for ps4, Xbox Switch PC and Wii U with the 7th gen consoles waithing their turn when i want to play something on them.