By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or RTX 3080 (Lol update)

What would be wisest?

PS5 54 44.26%

RTX 3080 49 40.16%

Neither, you don't need a... 19 15.57%

Total:122
eva01beserk said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Yep.

And I will be buying a PS5 still, just unlikely to be at launch considering the exclusives just won't be there to justify £500 or whatever it will be when I could get a massive boost to what I'll be playing on 90% of the time :) 

I dont know man, sony is claiming bigest launch ever. Just looking at the games possibly coming at launch, neaar launch or its first year, its looking like right off the start its a good time to get a ps5. 

From memory, there's Godfall, Spiderman Miles Morales, and in the launch window there's Ratchet and Clank so I'm going to assume that means March next year. 
Any other I've missed? 

Other excited games like Kena are coming to PC, I'll probably jump in for the new horizon game and pick up spiderman and ratchet and clank and others at the same time (at that lower price)

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
eva01beserk said:

I dont know man, sony is claiming bigest launch ever. Just looking at the games possibly coming at launch, neaar launch or its first year, its looking like right off the start its a good time to get a ps5. 

From memory, there's Godfall, Spiderman Miles Morales, and in the launch window there's Ratchet and Clank so I'm going to assume that means March next year. 
Any other I've missed? 

Other excited games like Kena are coming to PC, I'll probably jump in for the new horizon game and pick up spiderman and ratchet and clank and others at the same time (at that lower price)

Demons soul, sack boy and grand turismo are aiming for launch window, horizon 2 near summer, and project athia who knows. Im only mentioning big games cuz thouse most likely people to buy a console for, but they have plenty of smaller to medium third party exclusives.

Its quite a bit. Again, they could all miss the target launch or just be terrible games, but theres no doubt the number planed is at least more impresive than what the ps4 ans x1 had combined in the first year. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Any other I've missed? 

Demons soul, sack boy and grand turismo are aiming for launch window, horizon 2 near summer, and project athia who knows. Im only mentioning big games cuz thouse most likely people to buy a console for, but they have plenty of smaller to medium third party exclusives.

Its quite a bit. Again, they could all miss the target launch or just be terrible games, but theres no doubt the number planed is at least more impresive than what the ps4 ans x1 had combined in the first year. 

If this time next year I can play Horizon, Gran Turismo, Ratchet etc then I'll get a PS5 holiday next year (because buying it now when things can still be delayed as that's just what happens these days wouldn't feel wise)

Oct 7th rumor for AMD presentation, which tells me they will land between the 3070-3080. But I guess Nvidia fans would always skip them anyway.

Pemalite said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Yeah but obviously that requires more money, plus you're talking about future tech that doesn't exist today so you could make an argument "Well a PS7 could run 8K so there aren't constraints" but it doesn't exist yet and we don't even have the display bandwidth standards to do higher than 8k60fps.

Indeed.
However, Multi-monitor gaming is a thing which allows you to take 6x displays and "stitch them together" which gets around the single display bandwidth issue for 16k and higher resolutions.

ArchangelMadzz said:

1440p is the best resolution for PC in a value sense, but now that it's possible to play games at max settings 4k60fps the people that do want to do that can

Don't get me wrong, if that is what someone wants to do, go full hog.

Random_Matt said:

Unless they combat GDDR6X with HBM, then I would simply skip it. They will probably release a card between the 3080 and 3070, AMD are MIA at the mo and probably crying.

Wish they sell the GPU business to Samsung or something, their division is so low on cash it shows everytime.

The big issue with GDDR6X is actually DRAM density... We only have 8gbit chips. Aka. 8 bits in a byte equates to 1GB memory chips.
So a GPU with 16GB of memory has 16x of those memory chips but will need to run it in clamshell mode, so two memory chips per bus interface.

It's not really an economical approach... There are developments for 16gbit chips, but I think that will take some time... So AMD will possibly stick with vanilla GDDR6 to take advantage of capacity and cost.

It's going to be very interesting either way, AMD typically adopts newer DRAM technologies faster than nVidia in order to try and gain any advantage they can, but that isn't happening this time around.
Case in point... AMD adopted GDDR5 before nVidia which gave the Radeon 4870 the performance edge who was still stuck using GDDR3 and thus needed twice the memory bus width to match... AMD could thus undercut nVidia significantly on price which made the Radeon 4870 the GPU to have.

ViktorBKK said:
The RTX 3080 is a planned obsolescence card. 10GB VRAM is not enough for next gen. Even consoles have more than that.

I would not buy a GPU(AMD or NVIDIA) with anything less than 16GB VRAM this gen.

Not an apples to apples comparison.

A PC GPU is not a Console.
A PC GPU can dedicate 100% of it's memory to graphics duties... And also has a heap of System memory to fall back onto... Your average mid-range desktop PC sold in 2020 has usually got 8GB of graphics memory and 16GB of system memory or 24GB in total.

A console on the other hand... A % of it's memory needs to be used for background/OS tasks rather than games, the PS4/Xbox One for example had 8GB of Ram, but 3Gb (Give or take as it changed over time) of that was reserved for non-gaming duties... Or 37.5% of total memory couldn't be used for gaming.

The remaining 62.5% of console memory then needed to be split up between graphics duties and other game-related content...

In the end a PC with a 2GB GDDR5 GPU like the Radeon 7870 was pretty much able to provide an equivalent experience to the base Playstation 4 all generation long... No 8GB of GDDR5 was needed, most PC's with a 7870 would have had 8GB~ of system memory as well.

The RTX 3080 will absolutely provide a better experience than the next-gen consoles... The next-gen consoles cannot use all of that 16GB of VRAM for graphics duties anyway... And will certainly rely heavily on the SSD and I/O in order to make that tiny amount of memory go as far as possible.

ViktorBKK said:

10gb won't be even be enough for the end of 2021.

Bit of an assertion... Got any evidence to back that up?

Good morning!

Of course you are correct that consoles & PCs are "apples and oranges". The point is not to make a direct comparison but to get a general idea of what is the standard for each industry and where we are headed in general. If you look at the PS4 era, GPUs at the beginning of this generation had 2-3GB video ram. At the end of this generation 8GB of GPU memory has become the standard. Even the RX480, a mid-range card from 2017, had 8GB of video ram.

Now console memory is not directly comparable to PC memory. Consoles however, do dictate games development, and they have just doubled their memory.

Do you honestly believe that a mere +2GB from what has been the mid-range standard since 2017, will last you the next generation ?

And last but not least, nVidia has a criminal track record for this kind of behavior. They have repeatedly gimped their cards on memory to render them obsolete a couple of years down the road, so you have to buy the next model. Fermi, Kepler and the "60" class cards for both Pascal & Turing are prime examples.

If I was in the market for a high end GPU this season, 16GB is where I would set the bar. Nothing less.

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Pemalite said:

Indeed.
However, Multi-monitor gaming is a thing which allows you to take 6x displays and "stitch them together" which gets around the single display bandwidth issue for 16k and higher resolutions.

True, it's just not a good user experience to configure, Like at all ahaha

I used to run triple monitor years ago. 3x 2560x1440 panels for a 7680x1440 resolution.
It was actually really seamless with Eyefinity. (Which arguable is better than Surround Vision from nVidia.)

Either way, the PC has no limits, only your wallet. Haha

ViktorBKK said:

Good morning!

Of course you are correct that consoles & PCs are "apples and oranges". The point is not to make a direct comparison but to get a general idea of what is the standard for each industry and where we are headed in general. If you look at the PS4 era, GPUs at the beginning of this generation had 2-3GB video ram. At the end of this generation 8GB of GPU memory has become the standard. Even the RX480, a mid-range card from 2017, had 8GB of video ram.

A Radeon RX 480 is going to give you a far better experience in gaming than a base Playstation 4, it's more aligned to an Xbox One X if anything.

A Radeon 7870 will give you a similar experience to a base Playstation 4, some games will be better on the 7870, some will be worst, but that is the general ballpark.

ViktorBKK said:

Now console memory is not directly comparable to PC memory. Consoles however, do dictate games development, and they have just doubled their memory.

The PC has a different memory set-up to consoles... And games are typically developed on PC and thus developers keep the different memory configurations in mind.

In short, memory has never really been an issue on PC because the PC is a memory rich environment compared to consoles or mobile.

ViktorBKK said:

Do you honestly believe that a mere +2GB from what has been the mid-range standard since 2017, will last you the next generation ?

I never asserted that.

ViktorBKK said:

And last but not least, nVidia has a criminal track record for this kind of behavior. They have repeatedly gimped their cards on memory to render them obsolete a couple of years down the road, so you have to buy the next model. Fermi, Kepler and the "60" class cards for both Pascal & Turing are prime examples.

This isn't an instance where nVidia has "cheaped out" on memory capacity, GDDR6X has a massive bandwidth advantage over GDDR6, however it's currently only available in 1GB chips with 2GB chips coming later, when that occurs nVidia can take advantage of that.

ViktorBKK said:

If I was in the market for a high end GPU this season, 16GB is where I would set the bar. Nothing less.

Or... Simply buy the best you can afford at the time.

An 8GB GPU is perfectly adequate, the PC isn't a console, 16GB GPU's aren't required yet.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Well, I did vote for the 3080, mostly because you've already decided in your mind you need one of these fancy gadgets this year.

The wisest choice should obviously be just to wait a year for both to have real world testing, see how the landscape changes, and then wait another year or two for the other. As you already have a capable PC.

But on your point, the PS5 is unlikely to have a whole lot going for it early in it's first year, and the details are all rather murky, which is why the Console Warrior arguments are all based on hypotheticals about how good they believe PS5 could/should be in year one.

The argument of having access to more games with a PS5, just means you'll be forcing yourself to play more games you usually wouldn't, trying to justify your choice of buying this expensive hardware earlier than you should've, and telling yourself "'X game' isn't as bad as most people say".

With the 3080 you already know what you'll be getting and exactly what you'll be using it for. Nvidia managed to shock the world with both the technological leap and power-to-price ratio for this new line. So they've made it an easy choice.

By holidays next year, you'll have a much better idea about what the PS5 is, and there'll be much better deals/bundles available.

I need to upgrade my PC in order to take advantage of that hefty card. It is getting really old and many of the components is sub par.
For me it is going to be the PS5. Skipped the PS4 this generation so I will probably play some of the gems of this generation until something great drops for the PS5.
Also like to have that 4K blu ray player for movies as well.

But I gotta say, the visuals that the RTX 3080 can provide is gorgeous.

Shaunodon said:

Well, I did vote for the 3080, mostly because you've already decided in your mind you need one of these fancy gadgets this year.

The wisest choice should obviously be just to wait a year for both to have real world testing, see how the landscape changes, and then wait another year or two for the other. As you already have a capable PC.

But on your point, the PS5 is unlikely to have a whole lot going for it early in it's first year, and the details are all rather murky, which is why the Console Warrior arguments are all based on hypotheticals about how good they believe PS5 could/should be in year one.

The argument of having access to more games with a PS5, just means you'll be forcing yourself to play more games you usually wouldn't, trying to justify your choice of buying this expensive hardware earlier than you should've, and telling yourself "'X game' isn't as bad as most people say".

With the 3080 you already know what you'll be getting and exactly what you'll be using it for. Nvidia managed to shock the world with both the technological leap and power-to-price ratio for this new line. So they've made it an easy choice.

By holidays next year, you'll have a much better idea about what the PS5 is, and there'll be much better deals/bundles available.

Seeing real world numbers on digital foundry helped decided but I'm not pre ordering until reviews and they're benchmarks come out obviously. But at this point it's a formality

ArchangelMadzz said:
Shaunodon said:

Seeing real world numbers on digital foundry helped decided but I'm not pre ordering until reviews and they're benchmarks come out obviously. But at this point it's a formality

Probably best, Nvidia cherry pick benchmarks.