By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or RTX 3080 (Lol update)

What would be wisest?

PS5 54 44.26%

RTX 3080 49 40.16%

Neither, you don't need a... 19 15.57%

Total:122
Random_Matt said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Seeing real world numbers on digital foundry helped decided but I'm not pre ordering until reviews and they're benchmarks come out obviously. But at this point it's a formality

Probably best, Nvidia cherry pick benchmarks.

I will say however that Borderlands 3, Doom eternal, Control and Shadow of the Tomb Raider all showed 70-90% improvements over the 2080 and they all use different game engines. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

4 days active, 160 replies thread and the amazingly hilarious conclusion is......

I'm not buying either of them this year.
I've decided to save up for a car, buy a PS5 next holiday season and get a 4080 in 2022.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

ArchangelMadzz said:
4 days active, 160 replies thread and the amazingly hilarious conclusion is......

I've decided to save up for a car, buy a PS5 next holiday season and get a 4080 in 2022.

He played us like a damn fiddle!

Good choice. I'd pick a car over both any day of the week. Ps5 over 3080 next year is also a good choice since you already have a 2070 Super and DLSS should be able to carry it through for a few more years at least. Plus RTX IO is also compatible with 2000 series.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Good choice. I'd pick a car over both any day of the week. Ps5 over 3080 next year is also a good choice since you already have a 2070 Super and DLSS should be able to carry it through for a few more years at least. Plus RTX IO is also compatible with 2000 series.

Yeah it makes no sense to upgrade to a 3080 a year from now when the 4000 series would likely be out the following year. 

I wasn't aware of RTX IO being compatible, I might gonna treat myself to a 2TB Gen 3 nvme SSD on black friday if it is.

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yeah it makes no sense to upgrade to a 3080 a year from now when the 4000 series would likely be out the following year. 

I wasn't aware of RTX IO being compatible, I might gonna treat myself to a 2TB Gen 3 nvme SSD on black friday if it is.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/

You do have to go down to the comments but it is an official statement by Nvidia.

"Hi. RTX IO is supported on all GeForce RTX Turing and NVIDIA Ampere-architecture GPUs."

The thing to be aware of is that DirectStorage is not gonna be released until next year so you won't see any RTX IO benefits until then. It is gonna be in beta next year so official release could be either next year or the year after.

Personally I am gonna buy a 3000 series GPU assuming RDNA 2 doesn't have an answer to Raster/RayTracing/DLSS combo since my 1080 doesn't have those either. But your GPU already has those things, just slower but DLSS can make up a lot of ground. Wouldn't be surprised if 2070 Super with DLSS can perform like a 3080 native in a lot of games.

Edit: I will still get a ps5 as well unless the MSRP of the disc version is $600 USD

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 10 September 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

ArchangelMadzz said:

Hah yea. I got a car last year. I mean thinking about it, with that kinda money i could buy 30 of 3080's and play Minecraft. 

Enjoy the car purchase. 

Captain_Yuri said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/

You do have to go down to the comments but it is an official statement by Nvidia.

"Hi. RTX IO is supported on all GeForce RTX Turing and NVIDIA Ampere-architecture GPUs."

The thing to be aware of is that DirectStorage is not gonna be released until next year so you won't see any RTX IO benefits until then. It is gonna be in beta next year so official release could be either next year or the year after.

Personally I am gonna buy a 3000 series GPU assuming RDNA 2 doesn't have an answer to Raster/RayTracing/DLSS combo since my 1080 doesn't have those either. But your GPU already has those things, just slower but DLSS can make up a lot of ground. Wouldn't be surprised if 2070 Super with DLSS can perform like a 3080 native in a lot of games.

Edit: I will still get a ps5 as well unless the MSRP of the disc version is $600 USD

Oh fantastic.

Well I wont upgrade from my sata SSD now then. The longer I wait the cheaper flash memory gets. It's just the guessing game of will black friday sale flash memory > standard flash memory 6 months from now. 

Yeah I'm planning on taking advantage of DLSS 2.0 for cyberpunk to max out 1440p 60fps with all the works. We'll see how that goes. 

green_sky said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Hah yea. I got a car last year. I mean thinking about it, with that kinda money i could buy 30 of 3080's and play Minecraft. 

Enjoy the car purchase. 

Won't be until January-April but I can't afford to sink the price of a Console/GPU and a 4K monitor to take advantage of it and still be able to get a car for when I need it.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Oh fantastic.

Well I wont upgrade from my sata SSD now then. The longer I wait the cheaper flash memory gets. It's just the guessing game of will black friday sale flash memory > standard flash memory 6 months from now. 

Yeah I'm planning on taking advantage of DLSS 2.0 for cyberpunk to max out 1440p 60fps with all the works. We'll see how that goes. 

I'm in the same boat with ps5. I wont fill the 825 in a year. So I'll wait untill next black Friday to expand.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.