By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why I'm not buying a PS5, or any of Sony's games, until they are heavily discounted on PC.

Damn, anyway...

Think of the PS5 as the Theatrical release, and the PC port the blu-ray release that comes later. Just that in the PS case later here is like 2+ years later or so. They would NEVE release there IP day 1on the PC. Doing so would completely make actually having a PS console irrelevant. They probably wouldn't even release more than 50% of their IPs on PC.

You wanna play PS IPs 18 -24 months earlier? Jut by a PS5. It would cost less than a GPU you will need to run the same game at 4K on the PC anyway.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
This aint it boo

A consoles worth should not be decided by the amount games not found on other consoles, but the breath of attractive content available to you. I would much rather have a console that shared most of its library, than have a console that was only worth its exclusives and nothing else.... like N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U ya know? Sounds like something only a fool would do.

Sony doesn't have a 3rd party support issue, so I don't see how that's related.

P.S. GameCube had just as good 3rd party support as Xbox

I can understand the TC.
Exclusives are the reason why I decide to buy a specific system instead of another.
Making those exclusive available to other systems means that the customer basicly got scammed.

But there are 3 types of gamers to differenciate
o those who buy the system regardless of exclusives
o those who have no interest in the system, no matter how many exclusives it has
o and those who buy specifically because of the exclusives and would have most likely not bought the system if the game was available elsewhere
It's only the last category which is affected and only those who already bought it. What I would recommend to that group is to not buy the system anymore.

The reason microsoft releases its games on other systems is because microsoft is on its way to leave the HC market, so they purposely destroy their own system.
I doubt sony wants to do the same.
Right now, the impact of their decisions may not be noticable yet.
But if sony continues to release first party games on pc (or other systems), hardware sales of future generations will take a substancial hit.
And with them royalties from software sales will decline and the money from their pc games wont be enough to cover for that.

In my opinion,
... 1st party games from a console manufacturer should always be exclusive.
... 3rd party games from other developers should never be exclusive (if it's not necessary).

Last edited by GamingRabbit - on 30 August 2020

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

Cerebralbore101 said:
Xxain said:
This aint it boo

A consoles worth should not be decided by the amount games not found on other consoles, but the breath of attractive content available to you. I would much rather have a console that shared most of its library, than have a console that was only worth its exclusives and nothing else.... like N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U ya know? Sounds like something only a fool would do.

Did you forget that you infer that everyone who buys a PS5 is fool for wanting something that has no exclusive content? The people who can go out and consoles without all the stupid walls are superior to those who put them up. You owned a Wii U as a primary console and all that was, was exclusive content; how'd that work out?  You would think the difference between Wii U and Switch would be an eye opener in regards to how the market feels about exclusives. Remember Switch is in a Dark Abyss right now because Nintendo may or may not have exclusive content out this whole yea but switch just did 300k units. 

It is only recently that PS has established a strong first party brand. PS has always been defined by .. the biggest libraries, exclusive or not. 1st party, 3rd party? Who cares cares. Just more games.

Exclusives not remaining exclusive is not a new thing. It was like that back in the day too; CAPCOM 5 ring a bell? Point is exclusives are not the defining factor of a console. PS2 sold a shit ton for being a cheap dvd player. c'mon

GamingRabbit said:

In my opinion,
... 3rd party games from other developers should never be exclusive.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Sometimes developers simply do not have the resources to develop a game for multiple platforms and they have to choose just one, and many of those times they actually reach out to publishers for funds. If either Sony, MS or Nintendo fund the development of a game, of course they're going to require exclusivity of the game. Why wouldn't they?

Around the Network
Xxain said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Did you forget that you infer that everyone who buys a PS5 is fool for wanting something that has no exclusive content? The people who can go out and consoles without all the stupid walls are superior to those who put them up. You owned a Wii U as a primary console and all that was, was exclusive content; how'd that work out?  You would think the difference between Wii U and Switch would be an eye opener in regards to how the market feels about exclusives. Remember Switch is in a Dark Abyss right now because Nintendo may or may not have exclusive content out this whole yea but switch just did 300k units. 

It is only recently that PS has established a strong first party brand. PS has always been defined by .. the biggest libraries, exclusive or not. 1st party, 3rd party? Who cares cares. Just more games.

Exclusives not remaining exclusive is not a new thing. It was like that back in the day too; CAPCOM 5 ring a bell? Point is exclusives are not the defining factor of a console. PS2 sold a shit ton for being a cheap dvd player. c'mon

Your first sentence is a non-sequitur. 3rd party support =/= exclusive 1st party content. 

Your second sentence makes no grammatical sense. Could you rephrase your 2nd sentence in a way that makes more sense? Possible typo in that sentence?

Wii U was never my primary console. When I bought the Wii U, PS3 was my primary console. It stayed that way until I bought a PS4 in 2015. 

On average Nintendo has released four high quality 1st or 2nd party exclusives to the Switch per year. Switch is selling on the strength of its 1st party back catalog right now. That, and Animal Crossing is the biggest hit Nintendo has had since, well ever. Expect Mario Kart to be dethroned as the top selling 1st party IP with legs. AC is going to quickly blow the Mario Kart series away in that regard. Switch *is* in a horrible drought right now for 1st party content. Luckily this drought came after the torrential downpour that was 2019, and most Switch customers are drinking from the massive back-catalog lake that formed. 

PS has been about strong 1st party since at least 2010. 

There's a huge difference between 3rd party games no longer being exclusive to a console that sold badly, vs 1st party games being ported to another platform, despite the home console selling very well. 

its a win win for every1 i guess...
as long as they dont do day 1 ps4 exclusive release haha!

Cerebralbore101 said:
Xxain said:

Your first sentence is a non-sequitur. 3rd party support =/= exclusive 1st party content. 

Your second sentence makes no grammatical sense. Could you rephrase your 2nd sentence in a way that makes more sense? Possible typo in that sentence?

Wii U was never my primary console. When I bought the Wii U, PS3 was my primary console. It stayed that way until I bought a PS4 in 2015. 

On average Nintendo has released four high quality 1st or 2nd party exclusives to the Switch per year. Switch is selling on the strength of its 1st party back catalog right now. That, and Animal Crossing is the biggest hit Nintendo has had since, well ever. Expect Mario Kart to be dethroned as the top selling 1st party IP with legs. AC is going to quickly blow the Mario Kart series away in that regard. Switch *is* in a horrible drought right now for 1st party content. Luckily this drought came after the torrential downpour that was 2019, and most Switch customers are drinking from the massive back-catalog lake that formed. 

PS has been about strong 1st party since at least 2010. 

There's a huge difference between 3rd party games no longer being exclusive to a console that sold badly, vs 1st party games being ported to another platform, despite the home console selling very well. 

I'm on phone right now and trying my best to keep answers short. This will be put hold till later. I just don't feel like doing this right now.

chakkra said:
GamingRabbit said:

In my opinion,
... 3rd party games from other developers should never be exclusive.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Sometimes developers simply do not have the resources to develop a game for multiple platforms and they have to choose just one, and many of those times they actually reach out to publishers for funds. If either Sony, MS or Nintendo fund the development of a game, of course they're going to require exclusivity of the game. Why wouldn't they?

You took it too literal.

Those are some pretty extreme cases you described and yes, in those it is justifyable to have it exclusive to whatever platform.

But I'm not talking about those.

I am talking about these games where the developer has sufficient resources to provide a version for all systems where it makes financial sense.

Not giving system xy a version, even though they would have no problem in doing so just because company ab gave them a pile of money is

reprehensible and should never be accepted.

So no purchased exclusivity, be it forever or limited in time. If a developer is able to release a game on many systems they should.

I edited my post to make it clearer what I mean.

Last edited by GamingRabbit - on 30 August 2020

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

GamingRabbit said:
chakkra said:

You took it too literal.

Those are some pretty extreme cases you described and yes, in those it is justifyable to have it exclusive to whatever platform.

But I'm not talking about those.

I am talking about these games where the developer has sufficient resources to provide a version for all systems where it makes financial sense.

Not giving system xy a version, even though they would have no problem in doing so just because company ab gave them a pile of money is

reprehensible and should never be accepted.

So no purchased exclusivity, be it forever or limited in time. If a developer is able to release a game on many systems they should.

I edited my post to make it clearer what I mean.

I understand your point better now, but sadly I will still have to disagree. I mean, I know it is distasteful to us as consumers but at the end of the day, it is their property and it is their work; they get to choose where to put it and when to put it. All we can do as consumers is vote with our wallets and voice our opinions on the matter, but ultimately they have the right to do as they please with their property.