By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why I'm not buying a PS5, or any of Sony's games, until they are heavily discounted on PC.

Cerebralbore101 said:

If Sony wants to go full on 3rd party, then they should just release their games on PC day 1, and be done with it. They way they are going about it now is a slap in the face to both PC and PS5 users. It used to be that you would buy a console knowing that it's worth it, because all the exclusives would stay exclusive for the entire generation. But now that we know Sony is planning on releasing their exclusive content to PC, buying a PS5 isn't worth it. Now, the obvious solution to this is to just stick to PC gaming. After all, only a fool would buy a console that lacks exclusive content, or a functionality that sets it apart from a PC (Switch's portability for example). But Sony wants to go ahead and charge nearly full price for their three year old games on PC (See Horizon Zero Dawn's $50 price tag).

Well, I'm not going to pay full price for a digital version of a three year old game. Sure, I've payed $60 double dipping on Bayo 2, and Tropical Freeze. But I already had the Wii U versions of those games, which I sold to cover 1/3rd of the $60 price tag. Also those are physical games, that go into my collection and have a monetary worth to them. Digital games have no real world monetary value.

So I guess, I'll just be throwing Sony's games on my Steam wishlist, and then playing the ultra-long waiting game for them to be discounted at $50% off. Anything else is just giving in to their greed.

Welcome to the club Brother!

Waiting for games until they are 80-90% off just makes total sense; although, I do understand the younger gamer's mindset in wanting everything ASAP. Can't blame them, as we are all trained to be very good thoughtless consumers since we were young. I pick up $5 to $10 games on GOG and Steam every so often and never spend more than $20 dollars a month. If no game interesting me that month, I loose those $20 dollars (it happens). It has saved me hundreds, if not thousands dollars over the years, and I still have a huge back-log of games that I have yet to play, let alone finish.

But... I am still pre-ordering the ps5 (If I am allowed) because I have this funny feeling the USD will not be worth very much soon the way the FED has been printing money for the past few years. I might as well get it now that they accept my currency for foreign made products, Plus I need to play the huge back-log of PS4 games I have that I bought for cheap in Playstation sales events. I don't own a PS4, I gave it to my cousins who live outside the USA, and I am not buying a PS4 Pro; that thing is stupid loud.

Mind you I own a decent 1700x/1060GTX/16GBDDR4/NVMe custom self-assembled PC, and I would still will prefer to buy a $500-600 PS5 to upgrading my video card. The console is just a better consumer decision than buying a video card for the foreseeable future. The Ray-Tracing Hype is pushing prices to crazy levels, and my Anti-Hype Shield is holding strong for that shit, until we know which way Ray-tracing method will be truly implement on future games, it's best just to watch the fireworks from a far, and have a good laugh.

Anyway, I digress and would like to congratulate you for leveling up your "Anti-Hype Shield" for every piece of media that comes out. It comes in very handy in real life.

As for not wanting to let Sony make more money of old media, I just think that's selfish. They should totally try to get a much as possible from old software to invest in new hardware and software. 

Cheers!

Around the Network

I don't think they will release their exclusives on PC from day one, though. The games will be made for ps5 first and foremost and will no doubt take full advantage of the new hardware. If they then want to port some of their exclusives to PC years later, I don't see any harm in that.

It would be a different story if they'd go the Series X route, though. MS is releasing all their exclusives on PC day one and are making them so they can also run on mid-range PCs. Sure, they will run in 4k/120fps on Series X, but imo that's why those games lack that next gen wow factor compared to the stuff Sony has shown so far.

---

User was moderated for this post

~tads12

Last edited by trasharmdsister12 - on 30 August 2020

Cerebralbore101 said:
ironmanDX said:
You measure your consoles worth by how many games it locks other people out of playing... Then call them giving options to consumers greed.

Alright mate. You might have to explain your stance a bit further.

No, I measure a consoles worth by how many more games it allows me to play. And if it allows me to play zero more games then it is worthless to me. I'm not buying a PS5 for the exact same reason I never bought a Vita. I could play Vita games on PS4. I can play PS5 games on PC. It's not giving options that I'm calling greed. It's trying to charge nearly full price for a three year old, shoddy, digital version of a game, that I'm calling greed.

If Sony would just release their games onto PC day 1, I'd be fine with it. Instead I'm forced to choose between two equally stupid options. Either dump $500 into a machine that will ultimately be purposeless in a few years, or pay $50 for a digital version of a three year old game.

You could play Vita games on PS4? How does that work?

So.... if I am reading this right.... If Sony release a game on both PS5 and PC you won't buy it on either platform. You will buy a game if it's a "lifetime exclusive" to either PC or PS5, though.

Hmm.. most people just buy games that interest them on whatever platform... :)

I play the long waiting game on everything but Nintendo games and one or two other titles I can't bear to wait on. With the speed at which Sony titles get to $20, there is no reason to pay full price.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
d21lewis said:

That's refering to the Vita games that got ported to the PS4.

Was gonna make a joke about remote play and that the PS4 was playable on Vita but I couldn't get the wording right. The moment has passed.

I'll just say that enough of the Vita's good games were exclusive to Vita. Uncharted, Killzone, Unit 13, etc. playable on the go. There's a ton of reasons not to buy a Vita but I don't think "I could play the same games on PS4" is one of them. I WISH I could play certain Vita games on a TV but even with a PSTV, I couldn't.

Where's OP gone?

d21lewis said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

No, I measure a consoles worth by how many more games it allows me to play. And if it allows me to play zero more games then it is worthless to me. I'm not buying a PS5 for the exact same reason I never bought a Vita. I could play Vita games on PS4. I can play PS5 games on PC. It's not giving options that I'm calling greed. It's trying to charge nearly full price for a three year old, shoddy, digital version of a game, that I'm calling greed.

If Sony would just release their games onto PC day 1, I'd be fine with it. Instead I'm forced to choose between two equally stupid options. Either dump $500 into a machine that will ultimately be purposeless in a few years, or pay $50 for a digital version of a three year old game.

Pretty much every worthwhile Vita game got ported to PS4.

Random_Matt said:
Where's OP gone?

It's called sleep. Posted at 1030pm my time, and went to bed for 8 hours. Like a normal human.

Can you overreact more to the word "exploring"?

Hynad said:
Can you overreact more to the word "exploring"?

Good post my man if i werent on mobile i would upvotr

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.