By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple removes Fortnite from app store, cant connect to servers. Epic Games Sues.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

So does PUBG sue Apple or Epic?

Maybe Apple will allow UE on iOS on condition Epic no longer gets royalties.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Captain_Yuri said:

Apple removed Fortnite from the App Store and has informed Epic that on Friday, August 28 Apple will terminate all their developer accounts and cut Epic off from iOS and Mac development tools.

Wow Apple going full fuck you mode

Wow.... at first I was like.... will this hurt console games? how can they even do that?
Then I realised its just them being petty, at games on their own store that make use of unreal engine.

Thats messed up though, mobile phone devs are gonna suffer because of this, even if they had no shoe in the fight.
The long term effects of apple just banning anyone from useing unreal engine on their platform.... thats so messed up too.

Epic may be doing this for self serving reasons but this could have a positive affect on smaller developers if Apple takes less royalties than they are currently. Let's be honest taking 30% is just insane, it's just impossible to justify them taking this much. They could take a quarter of that and still make billions.

Around the Network

I hope Epic wins... and it then bites them in the ass because the games within the epic store all start bypassing the store, too...

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Wow.... at first I was like.... will this hurt console games? how can they even do that?
Then I realised its just them being petty, at games on their own store that make use of unreal engine.

Thats messed up though, mobile phone devs are gonna suffer because of this, even if they had no shoe in the fight.
The long term effects of apple just banning anyone from useing unreal engine on their platform.... thats so messed up too.

All because of Epic's greed.

This is clearly a "wrong" move by apple.
Two wrongs dont might a right type of thing.

Apple should get sued, if they had allowed mobile devs to make games for iOS but now are just getting banned because they used unreal engine.
Without any valid reason given to them. Broken contracts, or even just the legality of dictating to devs, what tools they can and cannot use.
That could be a legal battle in itself for apple.

Also if your trying not to look like some evil overlord thats a monopoly.... this is not how you do it.

So Fortnite isn't on Android or iOS, Epic clearly overplayed their hand. Watch them come back crawling or fade into irrelevance into the smartphone space. Don't get it twisted, every major app developer knows that they need to be on smartphones/tablets or they'll get replaced. Remember the days when Photoshop and MS Office were a dream on iOS? Alternatives popped up everywhere and Adobe caved. 

lol@"Androod haz alternative storez", even the successful alternatives aren't as generous as you make them out to be, Amazon app store takes a 30% cut for example, just like Apple and Google do. Not to mention, a game like fortnite relies on a huge community to continue to succeed. You're either too naive or too blinded by your bias to pretend that Fornite unavailability on the Play store is a non-issue, come off it. 

Overall, Google and Apple stores are equally important to both companies, Google timing makes me believe that the move against Epic was coordinated. Swift. 

Tim getting schooled pretty nicely.

The part where the guy talks about the weaponizing of children to fight your wars thing is most certainly going to become a bigger issue for Tim/Epic in the future, because once parents start catching on, you're well and truly in for a world of hurt (rightfully so).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

We need to keep in mind that Epic runs it's own "App Store" but specialized towards video games, so whatever push they make in the industry for change, will have consequences upon themselves as well, especially as they are growing rather significantly on PC.

Epic has long been very vocal about the 30% cuts platform holders demand, regardless if it's Apple, Valve or whatever... They actually only charge a 12% fee for games sold on their store and Unreal Engine itself is only 5%.

If Epic is successful, it could mean some very positive change for the entire industry and some actual benefits for the consumer, it will be interesting to see what will happen going forth...
I would personally not be against the idea for profit cuts down towards 15-20% for consoles, mobile and PC all around and have more money funneled into developers, that way we there will be less of a need to increase game costs to make up rising development costs.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--