By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple removes Fortnite from app store, cant connect to servers. Epic Games Sues.

People its treating this as if the consumer has no options. When you buy a console you know which exclusives you can play in each console and you. When you buy a phone you know if you want an open system or a closed system, even if you are not entirely happy with your choice because you are missing out some features. This drives the competition between companies to offer better thing to convince the consumer to chose them. Also it allows companies to operate their companies as they want. If Google and Apple are the companies they are know it’s because the consumers chose them and help them become what they are.

If Epic wins the legal battle this is going to have ripple effect and it wont help the consumer as much as people think. Epic build their own game store to compete against steam, and the prices of game in steam are the same as in Epic, if you don’t take consider sales. So even if they are charging less the consumer hasn’t seen any benefit from it.

Right now its not that people doesn’t have enough option to choose, actually the problem is the opposite that you have so many options that its hard to figure out crappy and unsafe options from good options and people are being scammed and ripped off because off that, with little liability by the companies.

Around the Network

The more I read about this, the more I think Epic is in the wrong, which is amazing because they are opposing Google and Apple. Seriously, when was the last time you heard something positive and/or consumer friendly from either company? How do you make Apple look reasonable?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:

I'm gonna have to repeat myself alot of times, but here goes: Epic knows they are breaching Apples ToS. They also did this knowing this would happen, and were prepared to go to court. They will obviously not argue that they are not breaching Apples ToS - they will argue that Apples ToS are illegal. They are also obviously aware of the EU's anti-trust investigation into Apple's practices, and they will certainly help as much as they can with info, but that case is the EU vs Apple, not EU + other companies vs Apple.

To be clear, I don't know where this lawsuit will go, but it's not as simple as "Epic breached Apple's ToS, they are legally in the wrong".

Of course it's about money. You of all people should know and shouldn't really care. It IS about money for Epic, but if Apple was forced to allow competing storefronts on iOS, it would still be good for consumers

Doesn't look like a coherent strategy to go for "Apple's ToS is illegal" when Epic treated Google the exact same way despite Android allowing competing storefronts to exist.

Cant really call those offical can you aside those from the phonemanufacturer 

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Darwinianevolution said:
The more I read about this, the more I think Epic is in the wrong, which is amazing because they are opposing Google and Apple. Seriously, when was the last time you heard something positive and/or consumer friendly from either company? How do you make Apple look reasonable?

They are in the wrong, because we all know they are just about making more money, just like all the other big fish, but they want the big fish to play by their rules and make them an exception to making more money, by having them lower their barriers. It's insane how people can even think this is a good fight or one for charitable reasons, this is purely for their own benefit.

When Google and Apple, two vastly different companies with different mindsets and goals band together towards one company, you know something big is going down. They likely know Epic has their whole network ideal, as well as payment processing plans, and I'd hazard a guess that they don't like that, because it'd involve them having to bend to Epic's way of doing things, and we all know that when it comes to crossplay, Epic likes to be the one to be in control.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I foresee Epic having a very difficult time in court on this one. Especially against Google since they previously sold this game for Android outside of Google Play, and then decided to bring it into Google Play.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:

I'm gonna have to repeat myself alot of times, but here goes: Epic knows they are breaching Apples ToS. They also did this knowing this would happen, and were prepared to go to court. They will obviously not argue that they are not breaching Apples ToS - they will argue that Apples ToS are illegal. They are also obviously aware of the EU's anti-trust investigation into Apple's practices, and they will certainly help as much as they can with info, but that case is the EU vs Apple, not EU + other companies vs Apple.

To be clear, I don't know where this lawsuit will go, but it's not as simple as "Epic breached Apple's ToS, they are legally in the wrong".

Of course it's about money. You of all people should know and shouldn't really care. It IS about money for Epic, but if Apple was forced to allow competing storefronts on iOS, it would still be good for consumers

Doesn't look like a coherent strategy to go for "Apple's ToS is illegal" when Epic treated Google the exact same way despite Android allowing competing storefronts to exist.

One of the largest antitrust cases of the 21st century, which nearly saw Microsoft split into two separate companies centered around Microsoft making it too difficult and cumbersome to download and/or use another internet browser. Abusing the power of defaults can certainly be grounds for a lawsuit, even if users aren't actually forced to use that default. Of course, Google has a better argument than Apple in that other options at least exist, but that doesn't absolve them from anti-competetive behaviour.

forest-spirit said:

Pretty good take I would say, especially in regards to the dumb-as-fudge '1984' reference.

Brilliant take... I mean, I'm biased because it's basically the same conclusion as my post, though FAR more coherent and less anti-capitalist! =P

To be fair to Jim, he does go into anti-capitalism, just doesn't dive into the mechanics that explain why these corporations are driven by greed - just acknowledges the axiom that they ARE greedy to absolute ends.

The main point is that Epic is sleazy for mobilizing a campaign to get naive gamers to do battle against Apple for them so that one mega rich corporation can get a bit more money than another mega rich corporation, and it has nothing to do with the benefit for consumers because capitalism maintains that corporations will try as hard as they can to get as much money out of the consumer base as they can. He notes how they already had their "Nine-teen-eighty-Fortnight" campaign ready to go moments after Apple's response - indicating that they knew what the result would be and pre-planned it in a way to make them (Epic) look like the victim in order to manipulate its players into protesting on their behalf.

Don't be duped and manipulated by Epic.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 15 August 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Breaking news: two large soulless companies want more money and will do anything to get it! Tune in now!

Apple removed Fortnite from the App Store and has informed Epic that on Friday, August 28 Apple will terminate all their developer accounts and cut Epic off from iOS and Mac development tools.

Wow Apple going full fuck you mode

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

This is Epics faceturn, loving it!! this only proves they were spot on with their previous diss

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.