By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple removes Fortnite from app store, cant connect to servers. Epic Games Sues.

Immersiveunreality said:

Apple is such a trash company , one of the upper class worst.

(outside of their need to control for profit they are also very inhumane behind all the pretence )

Can think of worse.

Around the Network

Has Sony released a statement on the situation yet?

It'd be interesting to know their stance given they have a minority stake in Epic.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Ka-pi96 said:
S.Peelman said:

All this talk in here about companies having their own stores.

I hope not, it's bad enough on PC as it is, on consoles and mobile a plethora of stores and launchers would be one royal mess and the opposite of 'consumer friendly' to my experience. I want all my stuff in one place d*mnit.

That depends though. If you have companies buying up exclusives for their store/launcher *cough* Epic *cough* then it's not consumer friendly. However if it doesn't mean things are restricted to certain places only then it would actually be better for the consumer. More choice is a good thing.

But that never happens, it's always like the former.

https://wccftech.com/google-follows-apple-and-removes-fortnite-from-the-google-play-store/

Excuse me while I just

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Ryuu96 said:

Conflicted...

I dislike Apple and Epic almost equally.

I do want some of Apple's app store policies to change, however, Epic will almost certainly lose this lawsuit, legally I don't see how Apple did anything wrong, they have a ToS, which Epic broke, it's as simple as that.

I'd rather Epic worked with EU on an antitrust against Apple to try to change some of their store policies because that is honestly the only way Apple is going to change, they will likely win the lawsuit Epic has filed against them and they won't really give a crap about angry Fortnite users when they continue being one of the richest companies in the world.

I also really don't like how Epic is essentially doing a "Gamers Rise Up" with it's fanbase, it feels wrong and kinda fucked up, Epic is basically setting attack dogs in the form of gamers against companies they have a disagreement with, bunch of angry rabid fans will not really help anything, settle it in the courts.

Imagine Epic having a disagreement with Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft, no matter how small and thus they set their fanbase on them, it's a pretty shitty tactic.

Ngl the whole thing is pretty funny though, both companies suck, Android is probably loving it, I still think only EU will change Apple so let Apple/Epic have their little fight, won't really change much I don't think, both companies suck but I hope Apple changes some policies.

I'm gonna have to repeat myself alot of times, but here goes: Epic knows they are breaching Apples ToS. They also did this knowing this would happen, and were prepared to go to court. They will obviously not argue that they are not breaching Apples ToS - they will argue that Apples ToS are illegal. They are also obviously aware of the EU's anti-trust investigation into Apple's practices, and they will certainly help as much as they can with info, but that case is the EU vs Apple, not EU + other companies vs Apple.

To be clear, I don't know where this lawsuit will go, but it's not as simple as "Epic breached Apple's ToS, they are legally in the wrong".

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

I think they actually lowered the ingame prices on the microtransactions (ei. passed on the saveings, they wouldnt be paying apple, onto the end users).

Also, its not a matter of "they will pay the same as before".
Its now a matter of, "I cannot play fornite on my phone anymore" for iphone users (apple removed it from store, and made it so it cannot connect to servers).

If they lowered the prices of the microtransactions, then that's just a temporary sale to garner mindshare. Once Epic has succeeded in breaking free from royalty fees, they are bound to return the prices to their original values.

This entire situation is caused by Epic's deliberate breach of contract, but Epic is doing what they can to frame it as the fault of Apple. Why? Because Epic wants more money.

Of course it's about money. You of all people should know and shouldn't really care. It IS about money for Epic, but if Apple was forced to allow competing storefronts on iOS, it would still be good for consumers

shikamaru317 said:

This is an interesting dilemma . On the one hand, Epic is clearly in the wrong here, you can't just circumvent a store to avoid paying the store that is hosting your game whatever percentage they ask for, imagine if a developer did this on Xbox Store or Playstation Store. On the other hand though, the 30% cut that Apple charges is ridiculous, Epic themselves charge 12% on their PC store (which is less than Valve charges on Steam), while Microsoft takes I think between 5 and 15% depending on how many sales/downloads.

If Apple would allow you to download apps from other sources it would be fine. Microtransactions for downloads through the app store? Apple gets their cut. If you wanna publish your app elsewhere and not pay Apple (but also not get the visibility from being on the App store, that should be fine. If people buy games through PS Store or Xbox Store, sure microtransactions should also go through there, and they could get their cut. But why shouldn't other storefronts be allowed on consoles? It's completely arbitrary and the only reason to be against it is through force of habit or some strange financial loyalty to console makers.

Ryuu96 said:

I don't see how they have a case Tbh.

Apple has very clear ToS which Epic would have had to agree to, Epic broke the ToS, Apple removed the app for the violation.

I feel like this lawsuit is going to be a waste of time and Epic will lose.

Fair enough if they attacked Apple's ToS and tried to get them to change them, I feel like the only way that is happening is with EU though, I genuinely believe the only way Apple will change is from an antitrust from EU.

This little fight though? Apple will live, they'll move on, they rolled in money before Fortnite, they'll continue to do after and I want Apple's policies to change but eh...I'm not sure this is the best way to do it.

See my previous reply to you. Breaching the ToS is unimportant if the ToS are illegal.

twintail said:

How is it bad practice? No store front is under obligation to allow your content if I violates said stores rules.

Unless under misinterpreted your question.

It's fine to not allow content on your store if it violates the rules. The problem is that Apple won't allow you to make your own store (with your own rules) either. The physical analogy would be if you want to sell something, but Apple doesn't allow you to sell it from their physical locations. Okay, fine, I'll make my own shop you think. But Apple also owns all the real-estate there is and won't allow you to make a shop anywhere.

Around the Network
Chazore said:

https://wccftech.com/google-follows-apple-and-removes-fortnite-from-the-google-play-store/

Excuse me while I just

Yeah, I imagined this would happen as well.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

JRPGfan said:
RolStoppable said:

Yeah, right.

I'd love to see the likes of EA and Ubisoft (Origin and UPlay or whatever their stores are called) try to pull this stunt on PlayStation and then see what you have to say about it. Something tells me that you wouldn't side with EA and Ubisoft.

If Epic games wins this, and it also applies to consoles.
Good, it means cheaper games for the consumer.

If your willing to buy games from which ever storefront is currently cheaper.
The guestion becomes if EA is willing to make a storefront for consoles? and what this means to online play, do they need to host their own servers?
If their willing, and have better prices than Sony or MS, why not?

Cheaper games (from more competition from stores) = better for the consumer.

That’s a fantasy land you’re describing. The price of a commodity to the consumer is dependent on the max profitability of the producer, not its cost to manufacture. You literally have to get governments to step in to regulate markets to make it anything but, and corporations fight this tooth and nail - even buying political speech to fight for their right to screw their customers as hard as the market allows. This is especially true for industries with low intrinsic value relative to the cost - such as data, 50 USD for something that literally costs pennies? This includes live services where the justification for a product’s existence is generally based on the size of corporate ROIs it benefits to the corporation as a whole, not whether or not it’s profitable.

In other words, this contention Epic has is NOT motivated by the price to the consumer, but their cut of the revenue share on Apple and Google platforms. In the wider scope of things, Epic is not going to suddenly become benevolent toward its consumer base simply because they’ve increased their ROIs, this violates the basic nature of Liberal economics that’s been true since before it was outlined in Wealth of Nations and Das Kapital. Benevolence such as “player first” is all marketing and appearance, the corporations spend up to billions of dollars a year to push out positivity toward their brand. I can’t imagine a CEO being hired for their benevolent nature - they are hired for one reason, maximization of ROIs to the shareholders; and this probably includes you, as I doubt the main thing you look for in your statements is how companies treat their consumers, it’s how much money you’ve made on your investments.

We have a whole system set up to remove the guilt disincentive to investors. It’s a system that basically creates a psychopathic collective entity without its participants realizing their greed or hypocrisy. The only thing about consumers investors care about are what the they (the consumers) are willing to pay - and the investors don’t even have to be aware of that to drive it. Think of it this way, its likely true that you don’t look much deeper into your investments beyond the ROI statements. You might, out of curiosity find a way to see what entities you’re invested in, but I doubt you’d go any further than that - to dig into secondary and tertiary levels of investment because what really matters is the bottom line: money made. The advocates for investors hire boards to ensure corporations maximize their profits, and the market determines the secondary and tertiary sources those products come from. This economic culture is so ingrained in our society that we’ve literally fought wars over it, killed millions, justified the destruction of vast amounts of our own planet, and even justified near-slavery conditions around third world. All of this while allowing the investors to criticize these situations as harshly as they want and ignore the fact that they’re the ones driving the massacres, the near-slavery, and destruction of the planet. And that’s no hyperbole, that’s the depth of the system.

In the end, this it breaks down to some capitalists vs. other capitalists. The interests of the consumers are not the interests of Epic, Google, or Apple - their investors only care about the bottom line.

It’s interesting how you only seem to be blaming Apple for this and praise Google despite identical actions. You believe Epic has consumer rights in mind and ignore the fact that they are the ones guilty of this breakdown of service. I am guessing your anti-Apple sentiment is a result of being pro-Android. You feel this way because you’ve bought into the marketing.

If Epic, or anyone, was interested in you having cheaper games, their products would be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than they currently are. The proof is that the cost to be on the platform is a percentage, not a flat rate, and Epic already makes substantial profits.

This has nothing to do with the consumer and won’t result in cheaper games under any outcome.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Pretty good take I would say, especially in regards to the dumb-as-fudge '1984' reference.

Darwinianevolution said:

Yeah, I imagined this would happen as well.

It was inevitable that this would happen. Both companies are now just going to tag team against Epic, because well, Epic has been going around hitting every one of them, demanding they adhere to their bullshit, and now both are tired of it. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Teeqoz said:
Ryuu96 said:

Conflicted...

I dislike Apple and Epic almost equally.

I do want some of Apple's app store policies to change, however, Epic will almost certainly lose this lawsuit, legally I don't see how Apple did anything wrong, they have a ToS, which Epic broke, it's as simple as that.

I'd rather Epic worked with EU on an antitrust against Apple to try to change some of their store policies because that is honestly the only way Apple is going to change, they will likely win the lawsuit Epic has filed against them and they won't really give a crap about angry Fortnite users when they continue being one of the richest companies in the world.

I also really don't like how Epic is essentially doing a "Gamers Rise Up" with it's fanbase, it feels wrong and kinda fucked up, Epic is basically setting attack dogs in the form of gamers against companies they have a disagreement with, bunch of angry rabid fans will not really help anything, settle it in the courts.

Imagine Epic having a disagreement with Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft, no matter how small and thus they set their fanbase on them, it's a pretty shitty tactic.

Ngl the whole thing is pretty funny though, both companies suck, Android is probably loving it, I still think only EU will change Apple so let Apple/Epic have their little fight, won't really change much I don't think, both companies suck but I hope Apple changes some policies.

I'm gonna have to repeat myself alot of times, but here goes: Epic knows they are breaching Apples ToS. They also did this knowing this would happen, and were prepared to go to court. They will obviously not argue that they are not breaching Apples ToS - they will argue that Apples ToS are illegal. They are also obviously aware of the EU's anti-trust investigation into Apple's practices, and they will certainly help as much as they can with info, but that case is the EU vs Apple, not EU + other companies vs Apple.

To be clear, I don't know where this lawsuit will go, but it's not as simple as "Epic breached Apple's ToS, they are legally in the wrong".

RolStoppable said:

If they lowered the prices of the microtransactions, then that's just a temporary sale to garner mindshare. Once Epic has succeeded in breaking free from royalty fees, they are bound to return the prices to their original values.

This entire situation is caused by Epic's deliberate breach of contract, but Epic is doing what they can to frame it as the fault of Apple. Why? Because Epic wants more money.

Of course it's about money. You of all people should know and shouldn't really care. It IS about money for Epic, but if Apple was forced to allow competing storefronts on iOS, it would still be good for consumers

shikamaru317 said:

This is an interesting dilemma . On the one hand, Epic is clearly in the wrong here, you can't just circumvent a store to avoid paying the store that is hosting your game whatever percentage they ask for, imagine if a developer did this on Xbox Store or Playstation Store. On the other hand though, the 30% cut that Apple charges is ridiculous, Epic themselves charge 12% on their PC store (which is less than Valve charges on Steam), while Microsoft takes I think between 5 and 15% depending on how many sales/downloads.

If Apple would allow you to download apps from other sources it would be fine. Microtransactions for downloads through the app store? Apple gets their cut. If you wanna publish your app elsewhere and not pay Apple (but also not get the visibility from being on the App store, that should be fine. If people buy games through PS Store or Xbox Store, sure microtransactions should also go through there, and they could get their cut. But why shouldn't other storefronts be allowed on consoles? It's completely arbitrary and the only reason to be against it is through force of habit or some strange financial loyalty to console makers.

Ryuu96 said:

I don't see how they have a case Tbh.

Apple has very clear ToS which Epic would have had to agree to, Epic broke the ToS, Apple removed the app for the violation.

I feel like this lawsuit is going to be a waste of time and Epic will lose.

Fair enough if they attacked Apple's ToS and tried to get them to change them, I feel like the only way that is happening is with EU though, I genuinely believe the only way Apple will change is from an antitrust from EU.

This little fight though? Apple will live, they'll move on, they rolled in money before Fortnite, they'll continue to do after and I want Apple's policies to change but eh...I'm not sure this is the best way to do it.

See my previous reply to you. Breaching the ToS is unimportant if the ToS are illegal.

twintail said:

How is it bad practice? No store front is under obligation to allow your content if I violates said stores rules.

Unless under misinterpreted your question.

It's fine to not allow content on your store if it violates the rules. The problem is that Apple won't allow you to make your own store (with your own rules) either. The physical analogy would be if you want to sell something, but Apple doesn't allow you to sell it from their physical locations. Okay, fine, I'll make my own shop you think. But Apple also owns all the real-estate there is and won't allow you to make a shop anywhere.

Post of the year right here!

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.