By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple removes Fortnite from app store, cant connect to servers. Epic Games Sues.

The real winners from all this will be lawyers.

Here are some videos from people with legal experience.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Conflicted...

I dislike Apple and Epic almost equally.

I do want some of Apple's app store policies to change, however, Epic will almost certainly lose this lawsuit, legally I don't see how Apple did anything wrong, they have a ToS, which Epic broke, it's as simple as that.

I'd rather Epic worked with EU on an antitrust against Apple to try to change some of their store policies because that is honestly the only way Apple is going to change, they will likely win the lawsuit Epic has filed against them and they won't really give a crap about angry Fortnite users when they continue being one of the richest companies in the world.

I also really don't like how Epic is essentially doing a "Gamers Rise Up" with it's fanbase, it feels wrong and kinda fucked up, Epic is basically setting attack dogs in the form of gamers against companies they have a disagreement with, bunch of angry rabid fans will not really help anything, settle it in the courts.

Imagine Epic having a disagreement with Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft, no matter how small and thus they set their fanbase on them, it's a pretty shitty tactic.

Ngl the whole thing is pretty funny though, both companies suck, Android is probably loving it, I still think only EU will change Apple so let Apple/Epic have their little fight, won't really change much I don't think, both companies suck but I hope Apple changes some policies.

Neither company are exactly on my favorites list either.

But this horse is the one I will back depending on which outcome benefits us the consumer... And that is Epic, if they win, the consumer gets more choice.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I fail to see the logic of the people here that say it matters what epic does themselves is in anyway relevant.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Darwinianevolution said:
So Epic is suing Apple for their monopolistic business model. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Question for you, how does that invalidate the point epic makes?

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Rol why do you care its not like nintendo has a big stake i mean switch 3rd parties comon bro

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Chazore said:

They already tried to take a stab at Google, but they never took them on with a court case like this. Some are suggesting they should have taken Google on this way first, with a possible win making it easier to then take on Apple, but imo, they would have lost regardless.

Their case is stronger against apple.

On adroid phones, they get to try be their own storefront now (ei, not be on google store) and have to be installed as their own thing.
On iphones, there is no other option, effectively killing their ability to compete.

If they cant win against apple, they sure as hell cant win against google.

It's still not going to bode well for them, especially with the intent they've now shown with that FN trailer they made, during the current court case, which shows intent of defamation and Apple can actually sue for that. Intent for weaponizing an audience should also be taken into account when they decide to counter sue.

Apple has it's own brand, it's own products. It's their rules and Epic doesn't have to bother with Apple, just like how they are telling devs not to bother with GoG or Steam and even paying them to do so. They hardly have any high ground.

I've seen this tactic before, play things off like you're for everyone, but really you just want to weaken your competition so you can build yourself up into an empire (like how they are targeting movies now with their UE tech). They've called anyone bigger or richer than them a "monopoly", because those big fish are playing by standard rules or their own, and Epic wants absolutely everyone to adhere to their own rule-set, which is akin to trying to control an entire market/industry, and well, that should never be allowed. We saw what happened more than 60-70 years ago, when Disney almost had control of the movie industry, laws had to be put in place to prevent them from taking it over completely. Tim's trying to play a long game similar to that, but in a passive aggressive manner and trying to skid past the usual laws and regulations that everyone else has to adhere to (like following Apple's ToS, which they also denied for Android, as they do not firmly believe in any other ToS but their own). 

As much as I hate Apple, I hope they do not win, because that's going to set up for them basically toppling everyone and themselves climbing to the top. I know their intent and I think it's abhorrent and disgusting how some people are letting it slide. They aren't some mom & pop brand, they are a big brand with an insanely popular engine and video game. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 14 August 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

kirby007 said:
Darwinianevolution said:
So Epic is suing Apple for their monopolistic business model. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Question for you, how does that invalidate the point epic makes?

It doesn't, that's the thing. This is a monopolistic company denouncing another one for being even more monopolistic. Neither one is fully in the right, though. Epic can't just ignore or play around the platform's rules because they consider them bad, and Apple (and Google as well I assume, I imagine this extra paying system must be on Android as well) can't just push their weight around everyone else and don't expect anti-trust measures.

I feel like Apple has the legal upper hand in this, while Epic has the better point, but again, pot and kettle.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

All this talk in here about companies having their own stores.

I hope not, it's bad enough on PC as it is, on consoles and mobile a plethora of stores and launchers would be one royal mess and the opposite of 'consumer friendly' to my experience. I want all my stuff in one place d*mnit.

Apple is such a trash company , one of the upper class worst.

(outside of their need to control for profit they are also very inhumane behind all the pretence )

Darwinianevolution said:

It doesn't, that's the thing. This is a monopolistic company denouncing another one for being even more monopolistic. Neither one is fully in the right, though. Epic can't just ignore or play around the platform's rules because they consider them bad, and Apple (and Google as well I assume, I imagine this extra paying system must be on Android as well) can't just push their weight around everyone else and don't expect anti-trust measures.

I feel like Apple has the legal upper hand in this, while Epic has the better point, but again, pot and kettle.

Going by the words from lawyers on Youtube, I'd say Apple has the right to even counter-sue, and win. 

I seriously hope those in favour of Epic look at what lawyers are saying, because so far they are making a far better case than some rando on a gaming forum.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"