By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does PS5 have a good chance to win the launch season?

Will PS5 sell a lot more than the rival this Christmas?

Yes 95 71.97%

Not sure yet 18 13.64%

No 19 14.39%

Total:132

Stock and fanbase loyalty are great arguments.

We just need to keep in mind that certain fans can convince themselves to hold their buying if they truly believe it's not worth buying it day one. I have a friend, huge xbox fan, that said that will not buy day one. He sees no point at the moment. A bad release strategy can make even loyal fans hold it, particularly in the case of microsoft with this "no generations any more" argument.

I think halo is one example. Halo fans were over the moon until they saw the graphics and delay. I wouldn't be surprised if microsoft had already lost significant loyal sales because of that.

Wii U is another remote example. They couldn't convince even most of its own incredibly loyal Japanese fanbase to jump into it. (of course, Wii U is kinda too gross as an example, but it counts)

Sony is not immune to that either. A bad price can change fan's minds a lot.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
I think some are putting to much stock on sony getting greedy and overconfident and thinking they will have a crazzy price disparity. Or MS willing to eat a giant loss per box. Thouse kind of things just dont happen anymore. I expect both to eat a small loss. Like if it cost $520 to make, ship and all that they would round down to $500. Or the nearest $50.

But there are rumors going around that one is cheaper than the other. If MS console is the expensive one to make I do believe they will eat the loss to match the ps5, but I really dont think they will go beyond. If its sony thats the most expensive, I see them taking a small loss and they will most likely anounce first so then MS will have a chance to undercut them a bit.But I dont see a $100 cut like some are sugesting. I could even see the same price but bundle in gamepass for a few months.

Just fans being fans. 

MS is a business. And Xbox as a division cannot be losing money forever. But if you listen to fans, you would be forgiven to think that MS is running charity ith the Xbox.

Gamepass, will be losing them money. Until they at least have up to like 30M subscribers to the service. And I am not talking about the people that pay for like two months, play all they can or want to play then unsub for the next 3-6 months, then when next there are a number f games they want to play, sub again for another two to three months. Which is how a lot of people will use the service. I am talking about full-time subscribers. The service, and services like that, are typically loss leading. Heavily. For it to grow, it has to get a lot more than older titles and first-party titles, it has to get the big third-party titles to. And that will cost money. Lots of it.

MS can't afford to lose too much money on hardware either. They have two SKUs coming out and are primed to be losing on both a $499 XSX and a $299 XSS. But they have a platform that doesn't even encourage people to actually pay for games. So where are the profits going to be coming from??

Sony is in with regards to all of the above, at least in a better position. But even they can't afford to lose too much on hardware. But we can at least see why they are doing certain things. A digital PS5 means that hey stand to make more from anyone that owns that SKU, and actual game sales will remain their bread and butter. Granted, if MS has a digital SKU this applies to them too, but its not the same when MS is running service that basically is saying, "hey, you don't have to buy games". They are also making the DS mandatory for PS5 games, which means they at least stand to make more from peripheral sales than MS would.

Either way, neither company can afford to be throwing money away.

hinch said:
DonFerrari said:

Series X being stronger than PS5 and having a disc would be a very strong match and better proposition for anyone that isn`t a fan of Sony first party titles, and Lockhart being a full 200 cheaper and still offering next gen game (with PS4 at the same price). Would be a big mistake from Sony, and I believe after PS3 they saw that they are strong, but aren`t alone in the market.

If we go by previous consoles, most users do not care for the differences. Microsoft's Xbox range have had the advantage in more performant hardware in a couple of generations (another if you count the One X). But this almost never translates to sales. The most important factor has been and will always be about the games and price. And Sony have at least one game that can sell the console at launch - Spiderman: Miles Morales. Xbox doesn't have any system sellers now that are exclusive at launch and nothing to really keep momentum after.

Another is marketshare and mind-share which Sony has on lock with Playstation, globally. Will be interesting though will be an uphill battle for Microsoft after all the blunders these last few months. I still think even with a much cheaper Series S out people are just willing to spend something more on a PS5, just because its either they are already invested in PS ecosystem and gamers are just not swayed on Xbox, as they were not with Xbox One.

Well don't get me wrong, PS4 being 50 cheaper or even same price it will win no question asked. But I was replying to someone suggesting Sony charge 100 more for a weaker system. That would likely put us on a PS3situation of near tie.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:
eva01beserk said:
I think some are putting to much stock on sony getting greedy and overconfident and thinking they will have a crazzy price disparity. Or MS willing to eat a giant loss per box. Thouse kind of things just dont happen anymore. I expect both to eat a small loss. Like if it cost $520 to make, ship and all that they would round down to $500. Or the nearest $50.

But there are rumors going around that one is cheaper than the other. If MS console is the expensive one to make I do believe they will eat the loss to match the ps5, but I really dont think they will go beyond. If its sony thats the most expensive, I see them taking a small loss and they will most likely anounce first so then MS will have a chance to undercut them a bit.But I dont see a $100 cut like some are sugesting. I could even see the same price but bundle in gamepass for a few months.

Just fans being fans. 

MS is a business. And Xbox as a division cannot be losing money forever. But if you listen to fans, you would be forgiven to think that MS is running charity ith the Xbox.

Gamepass, will be losing them money. Until they at least have up to like 30M subscribers to the service. And I am not talking about the people that pay for like two months, play all they can or want to play then unsub for the next 3-6 months, then when next there are a number f games they want to play, sub again for another two to three months. Which is how a lot of people will use the service. I am talking about full-time subscribers. The service, and services like that, are typically loss leading. Heavily. For it to grow, it has to get a lot more than older titles and first-party titles, it has to get the big third-party titles to. And that will cost money. Lots of it.

MS can't afford to lose too much money on hardware either. They have two SKUs coming out and are primed to be losing on both a $499 XSX and a $299 XSS. But they have a platform that doesn't even encourage people to actually pay for games. So where are the profits going to be coming from??

Sony is in with regards to all of the above, at least in a better position. But even they can't afford to lose too much on hardware. But we can at least see why they are doing certain things. A digital PS5 means that hey stand to make more from anyone that owns that SKU, and actual game sales will remain their bread and butter. Granted, if MS has a digital SKU this applies to them too, but its not the same when MS is running service that basically is saying, "hey, you don't have to buy games". They are also making the DS mandatory for PS5 games, which means they at least stand to make more from peripheral sales than MS would.

Either way, neither company can afford to be throwing money away.

I sometimes forget what kind of site im on :p

I also want to add that I really dont see the xss being a thing like most are saying. It just dosent make sense to realease a console that entry level laptops are getting near in power and by next year when ddr5 arrives, apu's on laptops are gona match it or surpass it. And lets be real here, everyone has a laptop. Gamers, non gamers, buisness people, students. I just dont see anybody picking a xss for like $300 when they probably will just need to upgrade their work/school/everday laptop for entry price of about $500-600 next year and be set. Not to mentioon those who can aford it and have better right now.

There where rumors going around that the series x is a MS surface laptop and I 100% belive it. If thats the case then the home console market is gona lean so heavy towards the ps5 that we could be looking at another ps2 here. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

DonFerrari said:

Well don't get me wrong, PS4 being 50 cheaper or even same price it will win no question asked. But I was replying to someone suggesting Sony charge 100 more for a weaker system. That would likely put us on a PS3situation of near tie.

Yeah we can't rule out the possibility. The Series S/X will do well in the US at launch and may keep up with PS5. I just have my doubts elsewhere.

I don't see it happening PS3 situation ever happening again. Reason being that Microsoft had a whole year ahead with the 360. It was a cheaper console and had a much bigger launch lineup within its first year. On top of that they money-hatted a lot of third parties to keep momentum going. Lets just say, hypothetically, if there is $100 advantage for the Series X, verses the PS5 (base model)and $200 different for the Series S > PS5 DE. I can't see PS gamers moving to Xbox, and most of the early adopters would be more knowledgeable of the launch lineup.

Around the Network
hinch said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah we can't rule out the possibility. The Series S/X will do well in the US at launch and may keep up with PS5. I just have my doubts elsewhere.

I don't see it happening PS3 situation ever happening again. Reason being that Microsoft had a whole year ahead with the 360. It was a cheaper console and had a much bigger launch lineup within its first year. On top of that they money-hatted a lot of third parties to keep momentum going. Lets just say, hypothetically, if there is $100 advantage for the Series X, verses the PS5 (base model)and $200 different for the Series S > PS5 DE. I can't see PS gamers moving to Xbox, and most of the early adopters would be more knowledgeable of the launch lineup.

Yes even with the 100 advantage the other advantages X360 had over PS3 won't exist. But I doubt Sony would make such a mistake of overpricing. If they were to do that they would have already released the price, instead they probably want to undercut Series X and with discless accept up to 100USD in loss to not leave much room for Series S.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Yeah its just a cat and mouse game at this point. One needs to go first of we're gonna end up not knowing prices until November lol

At $399 and $499 its very much likely.

hinch said:
Yeah its just a cat and mouse game at this point. One needs to go first of we're gonna end up not knowing prices until November lol

Yep. If Sony was really wanting to bite the bullet on loss they would probably have already announced PS5 discless 400 or even 350 and PS5 with disc for 500 or even 450, and that would basically mean there would basically be no way that MS could make Sony prices look bad. But they are probably wanting to be 50 or less cheaper than XSX with minimum loss possible.

DonFerrari said:
hinch said:

Yep. If Sony was really wanting to bite the bullet on loss they would probably have already announced PS5 discless 400 or even 350 and PS5 with disc for 500 or even 450, and that would basically mean there would basically be no way that MS could make Sony prices look bad. But they are probably wanting to be 50 or less cheaper than XSX with minimum loss possible.

Sony is definitely fixed on their price ranges, but I can see why they are waiting for MS.

For starters, MS has to announce the XSS eventually, and will probably be announcing price at that point. They can't say during their announcement "we have the cheapest console on the market" when sony hasn't said anything yet.

Then there's the actual price(s) in question.MS can price the XSSanywhere from $299 - $349. @$299 XSS, sony will have to price the PS5 DE at $399. But if MS comes in at $349, sony can then price the PS5 DE at $449. I this that's what this is all about.

Sony is probably willing to go as low as $399 for the PS5 DE, but only if they absolutely have to. So the best thing to do is wait and see where MS is at, sony probably knows its a bad idea to have a $150 price delta between the cheapest PS5 and cheapest Xbox.

MS on the other hand probably wants sony to go first so they can undercut them no matter what.