By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does PS5 have a good chance to win the launch season?

Will PS5 sell a lot more than the rival this Christmas?

Yes 95 71.97%

Not sure yet 18 13.64%

No 19 14.39%

Total:132

With how MS has fumbled their launch, again, I'd say it's a given. I don't think price will matter, since Sony isn't going to repeat the $200 entry price difference of the PS3 and 360 gen.

I think we're going to see a pricing model like this:
XSS -$299-$349
PS5 DE - $399
PS5 - $449-$499
XSX - $499-$549

With an equal, maybe even better price, than the XSX, and a much more hyped launch, PS5 seems to be in for an easy win this holiday.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
eva01beserk said:

I think that 10m shiped was meant for 2020, so just for the hollidays, not fiscal year in march. but now im not sure. but 10 in 2 months does sound a bit crazzy. So im gona agree with it being fiscal year. 

Yep, the way that new was posted seemed like 10M in holidays and I agree it seemed crazily high. But I would love that, would be for sure a sight to behold and price would need to be really aggressive and hardly would lack HW to buy.

while i dont belive they can ship it, if they where available i see it quite possible that 10m would sell in 2020. theres just to much momentum. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, the way that new was posted seemed like 10M in holidays and I agree it seemed crazily high. But I would love that, would be for sure a sight to behold and price would need to be really aggressive and hardly would lack HW to buy.

while i dont belive they can ship it, if they where available i see it quite possible that 10m would sell in 2020. theres just to much momentum. 

Yep it could happen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It really is crazy how we are half way through august without a price for either console

MasonADC said:
It really is crazy how we are half way through august without a price for either console

It's crazy they haven't released prices yet. June 10th is when they announced the price of the PS4. If they still release it in November they are going over two months. MS and Sony are really trying to play a serious game of chicken. At this point we wont know the price until you actually go to the store and try to buy one.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:
Nautilus said:

It has everything to do with the topic.

Maybe I will closer to the holidays, but that still won't stop me from bringing my own opinion and the facts wherever I think it's relevant.

So according to you it is impossible to create a thread comparing 2 discreet, clearly defined items? I can never create a thread asking which will sell better Game A or Game B. What you are doing is the equivalent of coming in and saying it doesn't matter because GTA V will outsell them both. It has nothing to do with the topic and is obvious.

You can, you just can't strongarm people into discussing what you want, when the points those "misfits" bring to the table are valid and on topic.

Because if it was really off topic what I was saying, I would have gotten a warning by now.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

the-pi-guy said:
Nautilus said:

Simple: Nintendo is also a hardware manufacturer, and thus a direct competitor to Sony and MS. The same it would have been stupid to not factor the PS4 and X One when the Switch launched, it would be stupid not to include the Switch into the equation, because it WILL be stealing sales away from MS and Sony.

It's like asking which kind of chocolate is better, but leaving milk chocolate out of the question for reasons.

The thread itself is a tad ambiguous, but considering the poll specifically says "the rival" in the OP, it should be pretty clear that he means the console that is directly launching with it.  

Technically the OP is asking about the launching season, and the Switch is already an established console.  If an OP was asking about two brand new kinds of chocolate, which would end up being more popular, and insisting that it doesn't matter because milk chocolate is clearly better, that person would frankly be going off topic.  

Personally I would say your comments are a bit off topic.  

Personally I don't think it's off topic.

Let's say there is three products in the market: A, B and C. They are all sweets, so thus in theory, they compete for the same market. So when it's asked the question: " Given the limited amount of money people have, and the attractiveness of each sweet, who will sell more, A or B?", the question/discussion is already born faulty, because all calculations, estipulations and speculations are done with the wrong premise, because they don't take into account the ammount of sales that C will take from A and B. If the question was about A and B qualities in and of itself, then there would be no problem, because C performance on the market is largely irrelevant for how the sweet tastes(at least at first). But that's not the case.

I'm not spamming, I'm giving my honest opinion with data that is relevant to the discussion. Sorry if people can't handle it, I only ever give my opinion in threads that I find interesting or in posts that I believe I have something to add. I'm sorry if you or anyone thinks it's derailing in some way, but this is something I will not back down from.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

the-pi-guy said:
Nautilus said:

Personally I don't think it's off topic.

Let's say there is three products in the market: A, B and C. They are all sweets, so thus in theory, they compete for the same market. So when it's asked the question: " Given the limited amount of money people have, and the attractiveness of each sweet, who will sell more, A or B?", the question/discussion is already born faulty, because all calculations, estipulations and speculations are done with the wrong premise, because they don't take into account the ammount of sales that C will take from A and B. If the question was about A and B qualities in and of itself, then there would be no problem, because C performance on the market is largely irrelevant for how the sweet tastes(at least at first). But that's not the case.

I'm not spamming, I'm giving my honest opinion with data that is relevant to the discussion. Sorry if people can't handle it, I only ever give my opinion in threads that I find interesting or in posts that I believe I have something to add. I'm sorry if you or anyone thinks it's derailing in some way, but this is something I will not back down from.

C wouldn't be relevant because that wasn't the question being asked.  

There are lots of related questions that are all valid.  The OP is specifically asking about two nearly identical products, launching at a nearly identical time.  (Which means they are selling to the same market, and neither of them have an established manufacturing and shipping schedule like a console that has been on the market for several years)

It is just as valid to compare the Switch's launch period.  It is just as valid to compare the three product's selling this holiday season.  But neither of those questions are what the OP is asking here.  

You are being off topic.  Either answer the question comparing the two products releasing this holiday season or don't post.  

This is an official warning.  

So if I made a topic about politics, and I asked if politic A would win politic B, but ignored politic C altogether(with politic C being a very popular choice, let's say Joe Biden), would you also say the same to all those users who would go "off topic" as you said to me? That that wasn't the question being asked? Like all those millions of people moderated for doing the same thing to any politically charged topic is created in VGC that we get on a daily basis, and somehow it turns into a " It's all Trumps fault" or " Its all Biden fault"?

Please.

I will repeat this once again: In my opinion, Nintendo is completely relevant in a sales-related discussion. And thus, I will post whenever I feel it's relevant. I'm not spamming, I'm not baiting anyone here, and whenever I write an post, I do give my all to give an honest and sincere answer.

So yeah, if you and the other mods have discussed amongs yourselfs and reached the conclusion that this is innapropriate, go ahead and ban me, because I find that censoring actual conversation points in a topic that is completely relevant to what is being discussed, without insulting anyone, is an absurd. With all due respect.

Thread banned by the-pi-guy

I just want to be clear here, there's nothing wrong with having the discussion comparing the Switch with the new consoles, but that isn't the discussion that is being had in this thread.

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 13 August 2020

Nautilus said:
Signalstar said:

So according to you it is impossible to create a thread comparing 2 discreet, clearly defined items? I can never create a thread asking which will sell better Game A or Game B. What you are doing is the equivalent of coming in and saying it doesn't matter because GTA V will outsell them both. It has nothing to do with the topic and is obvious.

You can, you just can't strongarm people into discussing what you want, when the points those "misfits" bring to the table are valid and on topic.

Because if it was really off topic what I was saying, I would have gotten a warning by now.

Nautilus said:
the-pi-guy said:

C wouldn't be relevant because that wasn't the question being asked.  

There are lots of related questions that are all valid.  The OP is specifically asking about two nearly identical products, launching at a nearly identical time.  (Which means they are selling to the same market, and neither of them have an established manufacturing and shipping schedule like a console that has been on the market for several years)

It is just as valid to compare the Switch's launch period.  It is just as valid to compare the three product's selling this holiday season.  But neither of those questions are what the OP is asking here.  

You are being off topic.  Either answer the question comparing the two products releasing this holiday season or don't post.  

This is an official warning.  

So if I made a topic about politics, and I asked if politic A would win politic B, but ignored politic C altogether(with politic C being a very popular choice, let's say Joe Biden), would you also say the same to all those users who would go "off topic" as you said to me? That that wasn't the question being asked? Like all those millions of people moderated for doing the same thing to any politically charged topic is created in VGC that we get on a daily basis, and somehow it turns into a " It's all Trumps fault" or " Its all Biden fault"?

Please.

I will repeat this once again: In my opinion, Nintendo is completely relevant in a sales-related discussion. And thus, I will post whenever I feel it's relevant. I'm not spamming, I'm not baiting anyone here, and whenever I write an post, I do give my all to give an honest and sincere answer.

So yeah, if you and the other mods have discussed amongs yourselfs and reached the conclusion that this is innapropriate, go ahead and ban me, because I find that censoring actual conversation points in a topic that is completely relevant to what is being discussed, without insulting anyone, is an absurd. With all due respect.

Honor what you said in the other quoted reply. You got warned, don`t accept and keep trying to derail the topic. Own it.

Your try out is the same as you asking if Metroid or Castlevania is the better game and I go there and say it doesn`t matter, TLOU2 is much better because it sold more, had better score and will win more GOTY. And I could use your same excuse that they all compete because they are all games. But that wasn`t the topic and would only serve to derail the thread, which was in effect what you done here because you not only posted your point but kept insisting it even though everyone else in the thread was talking about the specific question asked except when telling you that you are off-topic which just make more derailing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

On Topic:

There is no denying that the loss of Halo as a launch title this fall is a major blow to Microsoft. Even with Halo Infinite I would have given the PS5 launch the edge.

However there are still too many unknown variables to say anything with certainty. These unknown variables include price, skus, launch lineups, launch dates, manufacturing or shipping disruptions caused by COVID, economic situation due to COVID etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.