By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo Infinite delayed to 2021

I think it was ultimately the right decision. I guess we could say this will hurt SX sales a little bit at launch, and that would be a fair assumption, but I think a disappointing Halo would have hurt it just as much if not even more.

What I don't understand is why they seem so fixated in releasing both Single and MP campaigns at the same time. I mean, if the MP is going to be free, then I don't see what would be the problem in releasing that first.

Another thing I don't understand is why some Sony fans seem more upset about MS delaying a game than Sony doing it. I mean, you would think that a delay of a game they actually had plans to play would affect them more. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

All I know is that its in MS's best interest to have games on GP that'll keep people engaged over a long period of time. They've already turned Halo into a GAAS, so it wouldn't surprise me if we'll see the same thing happen to Fable and Avowed. 

According to this job listing, Fable is super early in development. My guess is that'll come out in 2025 or later, or they will be releasing it in pieces. My bet is the later, just like we've seen with Grounded. 

This is an exceptional opportunity to join a team and project at an early stage, giving you the rare chance to shape the future of an exciting, large-scale AAA title from the outset.  It will provide exciting new challenges for any experienced developer looking to further their career and create world class games.

https://www.playground-games.com/careers/oqxO4fwz/

Good thing Xbox is better suited to first party multiplayer games. A perfect match for a service like Game Pass. It’s like you look down on games with multiplayer...I got news for you. People like playing with other people. There is definitely a market for single player games but I wouldn’t dismiss the latter. 

Your Fable comment is expert trolling I must say, like a fine wine. Something I might say if CGI didn’t break me in like a wild horse in these past months lol. The best troll is subtle with a surface appearance of being genuine.

Case in point: saying Fable is a 5 year dev cycle is ludicrous and implying a AAA game being released in “pieces” is even more offensive. 

Given the Avowed leaks the only multiplayer I can see happening is optional Coop. Which I wouldn’t think would damper the experience, only enhance it. 

Don`t know how Fable will be done, but for me RPGs are the least offensive episodic games besides racing/fighting. You can make a very good arc with like 12h of play each month and in a year would be a big RPG. As longs as the archs are self-contained and interesting enough it can be done fine.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

chakkra said:

I think it was ultimately the right decision. I guess we could say this will hurt SX sales a little bit at launch, and that would be a fair assumption, but I think a disappointing Halo would have hurt it just as much if not even more.

What I don't understand is why they seem so fixated in releasing both Single and MP campaigns at the same time. I mean, if the MP is going to be free, then I don't see what would be the problem in releasing that first.

Another thing I don't understand is why some Sony fans seem more upset about MS delaying a game than Sony doing it. I mean, you would think that a delay of a game they actually had plans to play would affect them more. 

Yeah it is weird but concern trolling Xbox is one of the favorite past times on Chartz.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/242157/the-last-of-us-part-ii-and-marvels-iron-man-vr-delayed-until-further-notice/

There is the thread for two Sony titles being delayed including its biggest, and it barely cracked 60 replies and has no negativity. Also has zero presence from Xbox fans outside of sales, who said nothing negative about the delay. In the case of LoU2 the delay is "acceptable", a "good thing", and "expected" thanks to COVID. In the case of Infinite it's the end of the world and MS must be lying about the COVID part. Makes sense.

Also I agree about the disappointing Halo hurting more than no Halo at launch.

Maybe that delay is a good idea after all. The trailer looks really good (except for a few flaws), but I'm pretty sure they can do better.

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Sony has the advantage period. A Spiderman expansion doesn't move the needle much more in my opinion. Espeically if its very much like the last game. But its something.

Like I said, MS could push Gamepass and stress it has content that utilizes Series X. Then 3rd party games could get a big marketing push. Last, the Series S could be appealing for next gen gaming at a lower price. I think the best thing to do is compare Series S to 8th gen consoles, as it will look like a significant upgrade.

Sure agree Spiderman won't really move the needle. Launch window will be mostly on inventory size, price (not that much) and hype, Spiderman could contribute (but I don't say it does since it so far looks like a crossgen standalone expansion, that sure should have a PS4 version).

Well I don't see the marketing deal helping much the sales of Series X (and not to the same extension Halo Infinite could), but also as said before launch don't really depend on that. But sure I could be wrong and GP with strong 3rd party marketing deals could push a lot of Series X consoles.

We won't know for sure before release, and won't even be able to correctly estimate before price points.

If the Spiderman game doesen't come to PS4, that could be millions of sales lost this holiday. Lets be frank, not everybody is going to upgrade. Maybe it will be timed, perhaps the PS4 could come a few months later.

I wasn't suggesting marketing deals being as good as a new Halo, but it helps. Cyberpunk seems to be the game for MS to lean on but I doubt it will launch on time. Maybe they have other plans already.

I would hope MS is taking a risk with the Series S to get a very competitive price. It be could be $400, but I hope maybe $300 and perhaps exclude the disc drive. That way they could rely on digital sales. A discless console would also get less criticism given Sony has a discless PS5.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
hinch said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Sony has the advantage period. A Spiderman expansion doesn't move the needle much more in my opinion. Espeically if its very much like the last game. But its something.

Like I said, MS could push Gamepass and stress it has content that utilizes Series X. Then 3rd party games could get a big marketing push. Last, the Series S could be appealing for next gen gaming at a lower price. I think the best thing to do is compare Series S to 8th gen consoles, as it will look like a significant upgrade.

Man, honestly not trying to be funny but Xbox gamers liike yourself shouldn't be so complacent with Microsoft. This is a monumental fuck up for them and the fact that the suits thought the game looked okay even for today's current gen standard just shows how out of touch the top execs are when it comes to gaming, and what direction they want to take Xbox in. Other that take the easy way that the industry is going with GaaS - get players invested and locked in with more subscriptions, DLC and services.

Its okay to be critical every once in a while, and this is time to do so. Game Pass is good and all but it shouldn't be the main selling factor in a brand new console. When you have MS preparing everyone to wait a couple of years for their big games and trying to sell you more on GP and xpac doesn't that give you a big red flag.

Its the next generation, they should have some content ready for launch window as they winded down support for Xbox One during the last couple of years. You shouldnt just excuse them constantly. Things improve with criticism, like with Infinite now.

I'm confused by your logic. I feel Halo 5 was a big fuck up for various reasons. My feeling on Halo Infinite was simply it looks fine and I hope its good. If I needed some great graphics to jerk off to, well I would go elsewhere. Last I checked many highly active games don't have great graphics. Perhaps the next Halo game could really push graphics, but a game developed with X1 in mind might not.

I don't feel I really need to be critical, I predicted the game wouldn't make launch. I actually feel MS made a good decision if the game isn't ready or you're a person that wants a more next gen presentation. It seems like they avoided a fuck up to me, the series doesn't need another product that feels half baked at launch. I can't help but think there could be shake up at 343 for fucking this up with significant time to work on it. Maybe they need to get a second studio working on Halo games.

People are suggesting MS has nothing for the Series X launch now that Halo Infinite is delayed, even though its not an actual exclusive for Series X. I suggested MS needs to fill that void by stressing Gamepass which is a service that pushes 1st party content, numerous titles should benefit from Series X. On top of that, MS should also market the 3rd party content coming to the platform.

I don't really feel Microsoft or Sony really has significant content ready for the next gen launch. Spiderman is notable, but it seems like a crossgen game. Horizon looks good, but no release date.

If Halo Infinite launched on time I would have gladly played it. However, since I was really skeptical about the game being ready I'm fine with the delay.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

zero129 said:
goopy20 said:

Err.. weren't you the one who kept saying Halo Infinite would be natively designed for Series X? For months I've been saying what would happen when they finally revealed Halo gameplay and nobody believed me. People had too much faith in the things Phil was saying about scalability and were convinced they could just press a magical scale down button on the Xbox One.

Now, of course, all engines are scalable but that becomes irrelevant when MS is aiming for parity across all platforms. With Spider Man MM its a different situation as they don't have to think about parity, or any other platform for that matter. So yes, its using the same engine (no doubt tweaked for the ps5), but that doesn't mean they won't be able to push the engine much further. There are plenty of amazing UE4 tech demo's that arguably look even better than the UE5 demo. Its because they were designed specifically for high-end hardware and weren't designed to scale. We'll have to wait and see but it seems like it'll be the same case with MM.

No ive said like im still saying Halo could be pushed much farther if they wanted to. The is no parity that MS has to keep with XB1, This isnt the XB1X its the Series X, MS didnt have to keep parity with any of their cross gen 360 games so why do you keep trying to say they do now?.

And once again they cant push Spider man much farther its already set, its release date is set, its level design is set. If it was a whole new game then they could do more. But look what Ray Tracing, higher poly character models, higher res textures etc alone can do for a last gen game. This is the point thats been made to you all along, you can fully embrace the fact that a lastgen game like spiderman can look nextgen with better lighting and textures but cant seem to come to the conslusion anything on MS platform can. And like i said dont use parity as MS have never once stated that any cross gen game has to have parity with XB1.

I know they could push Halo much further if they wanted to, that they DON'T want to is the whole problem. The Series X is an amazing piece of hardware and they've already shown what the engine can do with that kind of hardware. The only reason why it failed to deliver is parity. If they are aiming for parity with Xone, its obviously going to seriously limit what they can do on Series X, that's why those games will be running in 120fps on there.

MS did seem to have changed their tune somewhat and they did show games that will be skipping Xone. But all of them are years away or are "console exclusives" that still have to deal with parity - maybe not with the ancient Xone but with mid-range pc specs. Like I said, I don't need to upgrade my pc as I'm hitting the recommended pc requirements already for all of the Series X console exclusives.

Spider Man MM isn't a skinned remaster of the ps4 game, its a smaller, stand alone game, specifically designed for the ps5. I agree that we need to see more before we can draw any conclusions, but in theory they should be able to push the engine much further than what they were able to do on ps4. They can, because they don't have to design the game with parity in mind and they could very well turn it into a tech showcase for the ps5. Hell, they used Spider Man to demonstrate the SSD tech, so it makes sense that they will be making good use of it with MM. 

Mr Puggsly said:
hinch said:

Man, honestly not trying to be funny but Xbox gamers liike yourself shouldn't be so complacent with Microsoft. This is a monumental fuck up for them and the fact that the suits thought the game looked okay even for today's current gen standard just shows how out of touch the top execs are when it comes to gaming, and what direction they want to take Xbox in. Other that take the easy way that the industry is going with GaaS - get players invested and locked in with more subscriptions, DLC and services.

Its okay to be critical every once in a while, and this is time to do so. Game Pass is good and all but it shouldn't be the main selling factor in a brand new console. When you have MS preparing everyone to wait a couple of years for their big games and trying to sell you more on GP and xpac doesn't that give you a big red flag.

Its the next generation, they should have some content ready for launch window as they winded down support for Xbox One during the last couple of years. You shouldnt just excuse them constantly. Things improve with criticism, like with Infinite now.

I'm confused by your logic. I feel Halo 5 was a big fuck up for various reasons. My feeling on Halo Infinite was simply it looks fine and I hope its good. If I needed some great graphics to jerk off to, well I would go elsewhere. Last I checked many highly active games don't have great graphics. Perhaps the next Halo game could really push graphics, but a game developed with X1 in mind might not.

I don't feel I really need to be critical, I predicted the game wouldn't make launch. I actually feel MS made a good decision if the game isn't ready or you're a person that wants a more next gen presentation. It seems like they avoided a fuck up to me, the series doesn't need another product that feels half baked at launch. I can't help but think there could be shake up at 343 for fucking this up with significant time to work on it. Maybe they need to get a second studio working on Halo games.

People are suggesting MS has nothing for the Series X launch now that Halo Infinite is delayed, even though its not an actual exclusive for Series X. I suggested MS needs to fill that void by stressing Gamepass which is a service that pushes 1st party content, numerous titles should benefit from Series X. On top of that, MS should also market the 3rd party content coming to the platform.

I don't really feel Microsoft or Sony really has significant content ready for the next gen launch. Spiderman is notable, but it seems like a crossgen game. Horizon looks good, but no release date.

If Halo Infinite launched on time I would have gladly played it. However, since I was really skeptical about the game being ready I'm fine with the delay.

"People are suggesting MS has nothing for the Series X launch now that Halo Infinite is delayed, even though its not an actual exclusive for Series X."

Your right, Halo Infinate was never a exclusive at all (it was on windows/xbox one's as well).
The Medium is supposedly only Series X (ei. cannot play it on xbox one/s, or xbox one X), its set for 2020.

So atleast series X, has 1 exclusive at or near launch of the console.

"Spiderman is notable, but it seems like a crossgen game."

This is wrong, Miles Morales, is a stand alone game, and its only on PS5.
It supposedly has a new engine. It takes full advantage of the dualsense, the temptest (3d audio) engine with raytraced sound, 3D spartial sound, ... and the game has raytraceing (they just released a picture showcaseing it).

PS4:

PS5:

These are real-time running on a PS5 ingame (highly likely actual gameplay) screenshots/clips.

"Horizon looks good, but no release date."

Its a 2021 game.

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

All I know is that its in MS's best interest to have games on GP that'll keep people engaged over a long period of time. They've already turned Halo into a GAAS, so it wouldn't surprise me if we'll see the same thing happen to Fable and Avowed. 

According to this job listing, Fable is super early in development. My guess is that'll come out in 2025 or later, or they will be releasing it in pieces. My bet is the later, just like we've seen with Grounded. 

This is an exceptional opportunity to join a team and project at an early stage, giving you the rare chance to shape the future of an exciting, large-scale AAA title from the outset.  It will provide exciting new challenges for any experienced developer looking to further their career and create world class games.

https://www.playground-games.com/careers/oqxO4fwz/

2025 or later, lol. I see you’re still as optimistic as always when it comes to Xbox.

Fable hasn't even hired a lead writer or game designer yet. Lets face it, that game isn't coming out soon.

Fable Job Listings Seem to Indicate That Release is Still Far Of

https://www.dualshockers.com/fable-xbox-series-x-release-date-far/

Unless, of course, they'll do some kind of early access thing like they did with Grounded. Personally I don't like them releasing half finished games, though. I think it only hurts games that have great potential. Take Grounded for example. I loved it and can honestly say that game almost changed my entire opinion about GP. I said almost because after an hour of play time, I run across a little robot, smacked it in the head and I already completed the story content... I spend maybe a couple hours more crafting things but I uninstalled it soon after because there wasn't anything else to do.

Imo releasing it in a state like that is a complete waste of a potentially great new ip. Now its getting crappy reviews from the major gaming sites and I've already lost interest. All because the suits care more about filling GP than delivering quality experiences that typically take 5 years or more to make.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 14 August 2020

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure agree Spiderman won't really move the needle. Launch window will be mostly on inventory size, price (not that much) and hype, Spiderman could contribute (but I don't say it does since it so far looks like a crossgen standalone expansion, that sure should have a PS4 version).

Well I don't see the marketing deal helping much the sales of Series X (and not to the same extension Halo Infinite could), but also as said before launch don't really depend on that. But sure I could be wrong and GP with strong 3rd party marketing deals could push a lot of Series X consoles.

We won't know for sure before release, and won't even be able to correctly estimate before price points.

If the Spiderman game doesen't come to PS4, that could be millions of sales lost this holiday. Lets be frank, not everybody is going to upgrade. Maybe it will be timed, perhaps the PS4 could come a few months later.

I wasn't suggesting marketing deals being as good as a new Halo, but it helps. Cyberpunk seems to be the game for MS to lean on but I doubt it will launch on time. Maybe they have other plans already.

I would hope MS is taking a risk with the Series S to get a very competitive price. It be could be $400, but I hope maybe $300 and perhaps exclude the disc drive. That way they could rely on digital sales. A discless console would also get less criticism given Sony has a discless PS5.

Yes that could, but Sony is a platform holder and it isn`t unusual for them to accept to lose SW sales to improve adoption rate of the HW so they can collect royalties. Just like with GT6 they done the opposite, they launched it only for PS3 and lost a lot of sales that they could have got if there was a PS4 version. They also could have hold TLOU2 and GoT to make they crossgen launches with perhaps free upgrade or even be anti-customer and have 2 separate version to help push PS5 sales. Sometimes the strategy of the companies aren`t fully clear to us since we don`t have access to all data.

Ok, because even myself being of Sony field I recognize that no matter MCC and Halo 5 not being the best they could Halo still have a big push in the industry. Very few 3rd parties would come close, with perhaps only a timed GTA deal having a bigger impact for either MS or Sony (talking only 3rd parties) or the likes of CoD and Fifa but those being annual releases and also multiplayer heavy I don`t see happening, at most timed DLC or modes in the game as happened in the past.

Series S needs to be 299, if it launches at 399 it may even be the same price as PS5 without disc or at most 50 cheaper and that would be very hard sell. And sure I do see a Series S 299 having a good chance of sale when made with a good GP+Xcloud+Gold sub for something between 2 and 5 year contract (perhaps 20 bucks or 30 bucks per month).

JRPGfan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

"People are suggesting MS has nothing for the Series X launch now that Halo Infinite is delayed, even though its not an actual exclusive for Series X."

Your right, Halo Infinate was never a exclusive at all (it was on windows/xbox one's as well).
The Medium is supposedly only Series X (ei. cannot play it on xbox one/s, or xbox one X), its set for 2020.

So atleast series X, has 1 exclusive at or near launch of the console.

"Spiderman is notable, but it seems like a crossgen game."

This is wrong, Miles Morales, is a stand alone game, and its only on PS5.
It supposedly has a new engine. It takes full advantage of the dualsense, the temptest (3d audio) engine with raytraced sound, 3D spartial sound, ... and the game has raytraceing (they just released a picture showcaseing it).

PS4:

PS5:

These are real-time running on a PS5 ingame (highly likely actual gameplay) screenshots/clips.

"Horizon looks good, but no release date."

Its a 2021 game.

I`ll side with Pug on this one. When he say it looks like a crossgen it doesn`t mean it will release on PS4 as well, but that the gameplay and graphics don`t see to be of a full blow next gen game (like Horizon) but something that is product of crossgen, engine and assets tweaked and improved but still clearly crossgen (at least that is how it looks so far and that Sony could make it for PS4 if they wanted).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."