By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts July 2020 Discussion Thread

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Shipments for PS4 are getting pretty small already though, they really don't seem like they're interested in pushing it much further into the future.

I just don't like that reality ://

They are killing the console .. it's not necessary, they could do a price cut, or at least deliver enough stock.. I though the PS3 end days were bad that were only with no price cut, but here we see that it can be worse .. no price cut and no stock.

Why ? Why they can't continue to sell both the PS4 and the PS5 simultaneously just like PS1 and PS2, both had good sales when were selling at the same time.

And I am pretty sure that 20M more units for 199$ are more profitable than 5M more units at 299$. What is their stupid logic ? PS5 and PS4 can live without hurting each other. Just like PS1 and PS2 did, PS2 and PS3 did what is the problem ?

Yeah it is not the approach I thought they would take, I expected PS4 to become a low budget alternative for years to come like the PS2, but it looks like Sony's just not headed that way, they're going all in for the PS5 and trying to force an upgrade as fast as possible. 

Around the Network

Sony wants consumers to migrate to PS5 ASAP

They need a big installment base to attach 3rd parties. Their games are mostly short lived, if they don't get many sales in the first 2 years 3rd party will look for Series X, even if Series X don't sell as much it can potentially be on PC too

I don't even know if this generational strategy makes any sense nowadays when game revenues are 80% from software. Each company should just release new console or console versions from 3 and 3 years and let developers decided to which devices their games will work. This way you won't hurt your profit sales too much each time you "change" your generation

Like in PC gaming

But I understand console consumers want things to be as simple as possible, they don't want to understand specs or need any kind of upgrade, so this is not going to happen

I also understand dedicated hardware have some fancy architecture to maximize efficiency running games without the most top end components, that's how they create a competitive price. PC architecture is far more generic, wants a better PC? Buy better components 

Consoles from different generations are completely new products, you can't just update them, you will need to rework them from scratch one they reach their limit

In the end I don't see this home console business model working forever. It will end some day

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 05 September 2020