By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts July 2020 Discussion Thread

If Sony wants to reverse this trend and really be competitive against Nintendo in Japan, it has to start in house. They can’t just rely on throwing huge money on exclusive deals forever, timed or not. Square Enix, Capcom, Sega/Atlus, and all the other Japanese 3rd parties may have other plans. And while I’m sure they’ll continue to develop their games for PlayStation, they can’t just ignore Nintendo and the Switch forever. More specifically, they can’t keep looking for excuses to justify to their investors why they are continuing to ignore such a profitable platform that has proven to he a grand slam not just in Japan, but worldwide as well. Investors will see that as leaving money on the table, which it is, and start to lose faith.

Sooner or later, mainline entries for all those franchises that have been almost exclusively PlayStation for a while such as Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and more recently, Persona, are going to come to the Switch as well. And if this downward trend continues when that happens, it’s going to look even more bleak for PlayStation in Japan, and it may even start to have some trickle effects worldwide. For example: If a sizable, considerable chunk of the Japanese audience chooses the NS/NS2 version of Persona 6, Next Gen Monater Hunter, or Final Fantasy XVI, over the PS5 version, who’s to say the same won’t hold true for the Western audience? So those are lost hardware sales, lost revenue, and lost profits, right out of Sony’s pockets that are going straight into Nintendo’s.

If they don’t want that to happen, which I’m sure they don’t. They have to take matters into their own hands and start to seriously develop, appeal, cater, and market with the Japanese audience in mind. Ghosts of Tsushima is a step in the right direction. They need more of that, much more.



Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
If Sony wants to reverse this trend and really be competitive against Nintendo in Japan, it has to start in house. They can’t just rely on throwing huge money on exclusive deals forever, timed or not. Square Enix, Capcom, Sega/Atlus, and all the other Japanese 3rd parties may have other plans. And while I’m sure they’ll continue to develop their games for PlayStation, they can’t just ignore Nintendo and the Switch forever. More specifically, they can’t keep looking for excuses to justify to their investors why they are continuing to ignore such a profitable platform that has proven to he a grand slam not just in Japan, but worldwide as well. Investors will see that as leaving money on the table, which it is, and start to lose faith.

Sooner or later, mainline entries for all those franchises that have been almost exclusively PlayStation for a while such as Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and more recently, Persona, are going to come to the Switch as well. And if this downward trend continues when that happens, it’s going to look even more bleak for PlayStation in Japan, and it may even start to have some trickle effects worldwide. For example: If a sizable, considerable chunk of the Japanese audience chooses the NS/NS2 version of Persona 6, Next Gen Monater Hunter, or Final Fantasy XVI, over the PS5 version, who’s to say the same won’t hold true for the Western audience? So those are lost hardware sales, lost revenue, and lost profits, right out of Sony’s pockets that are going straight into Nintendo’s.

If they don’t want that to happen, which I’m sure they don’t. They have to take matters into their own hands and start to seriously develop, appeal, cater, and market with the Japanese audience in mind. Ghosts of Tsushima is a step in the right direction. They need more of that, much more.

Sony certainly doesn't want it to happen, but it shouldn't be expected that they'll take actions beyond moneyhatting Japanese third parties, because Sony's history in the console market is one of flight, not fight. When the odds are stacked against them, Sony will move elsewhere instead of standing their ground. You can see this in PS3 vs. PS4 sales in Japan and also the handheld console market as a whole. Based on how the PS5 is designed, there's no good reason to believe that Sony will take a stand in Japan.

Ghost of Tsushima's success is circumstantial rather than deliberate. I doubt that Sony ordered Sucker Punch to make a samurai game, rather Sucker Punch decided to make a samurai game and that happened to be good to market in Japan.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

If Sony get desperate they might try to moneyhat Dragon Quest or something, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if that happens, but if an exclusive (in Japan) mainline Monster Hunter couldn't bring PS4 up to PS3 levels, I doubt even DQ would dramatically alter PS5's fortunes.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 August 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Be sure to share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 in the US Sales Comparison - Switch Lead Grows in July 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

Switch Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 60,589 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,233,583 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,253,467 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 20,924,285

PS4 Total Sales: 18,670,818

July 2020 is the 41st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap in the US between the Switch and PlayStation 4 grew in favor of the Switch when you align launches. The Switch sold 60,589 more units than the PS4 in the last month. In the last 12 months the Switch has grown its lead by 3.23 million units. The Switch currently leads by 2.25 million units.

The PS4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Switch launched on March 3, 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 41st month on sale for the Switch is July 2020, while for the PS4 it is March 2017. The Switch has sold 20.92 million units, while the PS4 sold 18.67 million units during the same timeframe. The PS4 did not reach the current Switch sales until month 49 where it sold a total of 21.96 million units.

The PS4 has been available for 81 months in the US and has sold 33.79 million units. The Switch is currently 12.87 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS4.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

PAOerfulone said:
If Sony wants to reverse this trend and really be competitive against Nintendo in Japan, it has to start in house.

There is no " reverse" in any way in Japan. Sony did everything and a litte bit more what they could in Japan - Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh,Bloodborne, Gravity Rush,VR,Nier, tons of other JP games. Japan is done with classic home consoles, period.

Other JP publishers shall port their games to the Switch as well, but there are 2 ifs - sales, what is not great for 3rd party on Switch, and optimalization cost.



Around the Network
curl-6 said:

If Sony get desperate they might try to moneyhat Dragon Quest 

Aint gonna happen - Sony is - mostly-not doing " take it away" moneyhatting.



The other thing Sony could do is try their hand at a hybrid console, but that won’t happen without some major sacrifices in some areas.



trunkswd said:

Be sure to share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 in the US Sales Comparison - Switch Lead Grows in July 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

Switch Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 60,589 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,233,583 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,253,467 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 20,924,285

PS4 Total Sales: 18,670,818

July 2020 is the 41st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap in the US between the Switch and PlayStation 4 grew in favor of the Switch when you align launches. The Switch sold 60,589 more units than the PS4 in the last month. In the last 12 months the Switch has grown its lead by 3.23 million units. The Switch currently leads by 2.25 million units.

The PS4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Switch launched on March 3, 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 41st month on sale for the Switch is July 2020, while for the PS4 it is March 2017. The Switch has sold 20.92 million units, while the PS4 sold 18.67 million units during the same timeframe. The PS4 did not reach the current Switch sales until month 49 where it sold a total of 21.96 million units.

The PS4 has been available for 81 months in the US and has sold 33.79 million units. The Switch is currently 12.87 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS4.

I really don't see how PS4 is going to win on this comparison.  Switch is already 3m+ ahead and it has its biggest holiday coming in just a few months.  It's about to leave the PS4 in the dust.



PAOerfulone said:
The other thing Sony could do is try their hand at a hybrid console, but that won’t happen without some major sacrifices in some areas.

The PS4/Vita situation kinda showed that even Sony can't provide an adequate stream of software to two different devices at once now that games are as advanced as they are currently. I can't see them trying a hybrid, they'll probably just concede Japan and settle for being a minor player there.

trunkswd said:

Be sure to share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 in the US Sales Comparison - Switch Lead Grows in July 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

Switch Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 60,589 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,233,583 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,253,467 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 20,924,285

PS4 Total Sales: 18,670,818

July 2020 is the 41st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap in the US between the Switch and PlayStation 4 grew in favor of the Switch when you align launches. The Switch sold 60,589 more units than the PS4 in the last month. In the last 12 months the Switch has grown its lead by 3.23 million units. The Switch currently leads by 2.25 million units.

The PS4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Switch launched on March 3, 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 41st month on sale for the Switch is July 2020, while for the PS4 it is March 2017. The Switch has sold 20.92 million units, while the PS4 sold 18.67 million units during the same timeframe. The PS4 did not reach the current Switch sales until month 49 where it sold a total of 21.96 million units.

The PS4 has been available for 81 months in the US and has sold 33.79 million units. The Switch is currently 12.87 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS4.

Nintendo is gonna win this one; 12.87 million is a small gap to close for a system selling as fast as the Switch is.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 August 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
PAOerfulone said:
The other thing Sony could do is try their hand at a hybrid console, but that won’t happen without some major sacrifices in some areas.

The PS4/Vita situation kinda showed that even Sony can't provide an adequate stream of software to two different devices at once now that games are as advanced as they are currently. I can't see them trying a hybrid, they'll probably just concede Japan and settle for being a minor player there.

I was thinking more along the lines of Sony trying to make their next console (PS6) a hybrid and they take their crack at it. But in order for them to have any reasonable shot at making a hybrid that could compete with Switch 2 or 3 depending on the timetable, they have to make a lot of sacrifices in one of two areas: Price or hardware.

1) Sacrificing Price: To have a PS6 that has the graphical/generational leap that one would expect from a next generation console ON TOP of being a hybrid, would require A LOT of manufacturing costs and resources that will jack up the price to absurd degrees. I'm talking $799-899 US retail price, minimum. And a hybrid that powerful would drain the battery like a MF'er, so it would just be used as a console anyways since noone would want to take it out of the dock. Unless Sony felt like losing hundreds of dollars on manufacturing like they did with the PS3, there's no way they would be able to compete at that price. And this is all assuming it'll even be possible by 2027 or whenever PS6 launches. 

2) Sacrificing Power: The more reasonable route would be to sacrifice graphical capabilities and scale back so that they could keep manufacturing costs, and be extension, the retail price, reasonable. But then that would eliminate the biggest advantage they have over Nintendo; Graphics. But then, they'd be losing THAT crowd to Microsoft, so Sony would be at a disadvantage on both sides. Losing the console/graphics battle to Microsoft and losing the handheld battle to Nintendo.

It'd basically be the DS vs PSP, 3DS vs Vita all over again.