By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The different approaches to Next Generation gaming

Impressed with Next Gen gaming?

Yes 13 34.21%

No 20 52.63%

undecided 5 13.16%

Total:38
scottslater said:

Again, until games are in the hand of gamers, I don't care about controlled environment demos.  Remember Fallout '76...

Dismissing a next gen console based on hardware specs is pretty petty, Wii didn't lineup with PS3/Xbox 360 and it crushed both of them that generation.  Switch has plenty of capabilities that the PS5/XsX won't be able to offer, such as play anywhere which is much more appealing to a lot of people than you realize.  Game play is a factor of next gen, if games didn't evolve then the gaming market would most likely die (like it almost did before the NES).  Dismissing game play as part of next gen offerings is again very petty.  You even mention that games haven't evolved because of old hardware...

Form factor... the big, ugly, gaudy offering from Sony will turn people off alone, so yes, form factor is certainly a part of the next generation.  The Xbox One X/PS4 Pro have really good form factors that are subtle and fit in with modern living rooms.  The next generation consoles, to me at least, do not have appealing form factors at all. The DualSense controller so far seems like a gimmick that will be abandoned fairly quickly.  And yes, things like Game Pass/xCloud are a part of the Next Generation of gaming.

And again, pushing boundaries with graphics is having a much less impact as time goes on. So what if a game looks a little better because it has better makeup, eventually you will look past that makeup and realize that you were duped into a bad decision.  If I really wanted to just have the best looking games possible I will just stick with my PC.

Fair enough.

I didn't dismiss the Switch hardware. I said it was very impressive for a handheld device. I have one myself and it is a good console. Its just not 'next generation' for me as I've grown accustom to the software and limitations of current gen hardware. Doesn't mean I can't or don't don't enjoy playing games on it. I can whip up my phone and play some emulators, or 3DS. Graphics don't hinder my enjoyment on games. So yeah, while Switch a cool piece of tech, it doesn't impress me with visuals or does it break any new grounds with gameplay. Its just the games are super polished and play great (Odyssey was bloody excellent) which is a good reason why to own one. Lets not go into older generations and keep things on topic.

About the look of a console, its a gaming device that you stick under your TV or have in your hand, it doesn't matter as long as you have the games to back it up. DualSense a gimmick, how? I don't follow. Want to elaborate.. You just seem to focus so much on the form factor as a focal point and its super confusing. I guess you like portables, which is fine. It just seems like you're just making up excuses to pass upon Playstation, which is also fine but yeah.. I digress.

Again you miss the point. Having better and more advanced hardware (and software) pushes the gaming industry forward. It allows for more creative freedom and different experiences, whether it will be from indies to AAA budget games. That goes for Nintendo devices as well.

Last edited by hinch - on 07 August 2020

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

I play on a gaming laptop and always have to go into settings to get decent performance (i7 8750h, GTX 1060) out of bigger games. Elite Dangerous I have to change settings while playing depending on whether I meet up with other people. Train Simulator I have to change settings based on the track / area. Forza Horizon 4 works better with CPU boost disabled, while train sim needs the boost or stutters very badly when loading the next chunk of data. Forza Horizon won't work with a DS4 controller, Ori does mostly but still better with 360 pad. Need I go on.

Have you tried the Geforce Experience auto-settings? And more and more PC games offer optional dynamic performance settings... that trend will increase in the next years.

SvennoJ said:

PCs can't make tailor made games for fast storage since it still has to work from HDD. Consoles can balance everything perfectly, just look at HZDs woeful port to PC. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-horizon-zero-dawn-pc-tech-review When consoles start optimizing for SSD porting to PC is only going to get harder, or they'll simply require more and more ram to compensate.

Why do you think that new PC games can't or won't add SSDs to the minimum requirements for games which will profit from that immensely?

scottslater said:
CGI-Quality said:

Define "next gen gameplay".

Something that is innovative, takes advantage of the hardware in an unique way, etc.

BotW is a great example of "next gen gameplay".  The "open air" design was refreshing for a stale genre, the game is perfect for the hardware it was released on between being a great game to play with a console, tv and controller in a long gaming session or as a handheld game in small gaming session on the way to work in a carpool (shrines for example).

The DualSense, and 3D Audio, will be that.

Gameplay wise? you dont need generations for new ideas of gameplay.
Unless its something thats held back by hardware (which most game designs (and unique ways to play) arnt).

Watch this video, with head phones on (close your eyes and focus on the sound):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

It shows what 3D audio design could do, for gameing.

"takes advantage of the hardware in an unique way"

Ratchet and Clank does do that, the portals that lead you from world to world,
without loading screens could not be done without a speedy SSD (at that level of detail).

I'm sure theres more to follow like it.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 07 August 2020

I'm not sure how Sony is focusing on GaaS? They might be looking to get a slice of that pie but they're still invested in massive single player experiences. With all the hype behind the IO/ SSD's, it does seem like a paradigm shift is coming, at least in terms of world/level design in games. I can already envision how the SSD can impact games like God of War 2, Spiderman 2, Days Gone 2, Silent Hill, GTA6 that don't include QoL improvements (IE. load times).

Graphics are becoming harder to distinguish but the jumps are still noticeable in level of detail, draw distance & lighting. This isn't even taking into account the CPU that is another massive upgrade. Or the PS5 UI that is apparently overhauled to be leveraging the new tech. As a PS fan, I'm a lot more excited for this generation than the start of the PS4 generation, based on the the launch year and the potential of the SSD/IO throughput.

hinch said:
scottslater said:

Again, until games are in the hand of gamers, I don't care about controlled environment demos.  Remember Fallout '76...

Dismissing a next gen console based on hardware specs is pretty petty, Wii didn't lineup with PS3/Xbox 360 and it crushed both of them that generation.  Switch has plenty of capabilities that the PS5/XsX won't be able to offer, such as play anywhere which is much more appealing to a lot of people than you realize.  Game play is a factor of next gen, if games didn't evolve then the gaming market would most likely die (like it almost did before the NES).  Dismissing game play as part of next gen offerings is again very petty.  You even mention that games haven't evolved because of old hardware...

Form factor... the big, ugly, gaudy offering from Sony will turn people off alone, so yes, form factor is certainly a part of the next generation.  The Xbox One X/PS4 Pro have really good form factors that are subtle and fit in with modern living rooms.  The next generation consoles, to me at least, do not have appealing form factors at all. The DualSense controller so far seems like a gimmick that will be abandoned fairly quickly.  And yes, things like Game Pass/xCloud are a part of the Next Generation of gaming.

And again, pushing boundaries with graphics is having a much less impact as time goes on. So what if a game looks a little better because it has better makeup, eventually you will look past that makeup and realize that you were duped into a bad decision.  If I really wanted to just have the best looking games possible I will just stick with my PC.

Fair enough.

I didn't dismiss the Switch hardware. I said it was very impressive for a handheld device. I have one myself and it is a good console. Its just not 'next generation' for me as I've grown accustom to the software and limitations of current gen hardware. Doesn't mean I can't or don't don't enjoy playing games on it. I can whip up my phone and play some emulators, or 3DS. Graphics don't hinder my enjoyment on games. So yeah, while Switch a cool piece of tech, it doesn't impress me with visuals or does it break any new grounds with gameplay. Its just the games are super polished and play great (Odyssey was bloody excellent) which is a good reason why to own one. Lets not go into older generations and keep things on topic.

About the look of a console, its a gaming device that you stick under your TV or have in your hand, it doesn't matter as long as you have the games to back it up. DualSense a gimmick, how? I don't follow. Want to elaborate.. You just seem to focus so much on the form factor as a focal point and its super confusing. I guess you like portables, which is fine. It just seems like you're just making up excuses to pass upon Playstation, which is also fine but yeah.. I digress.

Again you miss the point. Having better and more advanced hardware (and software) pushes the gaming industry forward. It allows for more creative freedom and different experiences, whether it will be from indies to AAA budget games. That goes for Nintendo devices as well.

Actually, I don't like handheld gaming at all, lol.  I think part of our disagreement is that you view Switch as last gen while I view it as the launch of the new generation of gaming.

The way a console is put together is very important... as for the DualSense, it sounds like they want it to try and feel like you can feel stones while walking or something.  I can't imagine a vast majority of people will even care about that (I know a lot of people that don't even like just rumble to begin with) and I imagine it can't be worth development time in the long run.  It's a gimmick that will fade away when developers realize no one cares. And yes, I will pass on the PS again, I don't like their games at all.

And again, you miss the point, having better and more advanced hardware/software is irrelevant if it's just more of the same thing with prettier makeup on. Xbox One/PS4 generation games could be enjoyed on 360/PS3 hardware with just worst visuals for the most part, look at what the best selling games are every year/week for them (GTAV, CoD, Madden, FIFA, etc).

Nintendo with the Switch:

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Shinobi-san said:
Not impressed by the visuals, and more importantly not impressed by the unchanged current generation gaming paradigms.

Perhaps the most interesting potential we've seen is in the EPIC demo (which we will probably never see anything like it in gameplay in the next 2 to 3 years if at all) and the Ratchet and Clank demo. Despite those two demos being at least somewhat different, the implementations were questionable.

Outside of that I cant think of anything significant about the next gen. I think its bad enough that current gen games are mostly visual upgrades over the previous gen (PS3 -> PS4). I mean its kind of sad to think that games are fundamentally unchanged for the last 10-15 years. What was also glaringly obvious when moving to the PS4, was that consoles had finally caught up to TV's. Whereas currently resolutions above 1080p remain uncommon, or are exclusive to the TV room, which makes it even more difficult to perceive visual upgrades on most screens we consume content on. I was happy to accept this for the PS4 gen but for this to be a potential reality for PS5 as well, is sad.

New generations can often spur on innovation in software and directly influence game design, and Sony at least seem to be pushing this angle....but its all talk for now.

I wont even go into what MS is doing...they have for the most part walked away from generational distinctions since they have no plan to make Xbox Series X exclusives. This will inherently hold back the game design process, building software for the lowest common denominator.

I mean if someone builds a game around a teleport/time travel mechanics, whereby you can almost instantaneously teleport into another time dimension or point in time, how would that even work on current gen hardware? I feel as though MS's decision to do this, could shape the gaming industry going forward. And lets face it, money talks, if the Netflix model for gaming works for MS, Sony will follow.

The whole warping thing could be done with loading screens on current gen and no loading on next gen. That whole ratchet game could be done on current gen if the was loading screens used for the warping parts.

A 20 second loading screen would kill the immersion. At that point, the level warping might as well get axed.

PotentHerbs said:
zero129 said:

The whole warping thing could be done with loading screens on current gen and no loading on next gen. That whole ratchet game could be done on current gen if the was loading screens used for the warping parts.

A 20 second loading screen would kill the immersion. At that point, the level warping might as well get axed.

I think a talented developer could make it work without having to use loading screens to change the environment.

scottslater said:

Actually, I don't like handheld gaming at all, lol.  I think part of our disagreement is that you view Switch as last gen while I view it as the launch of the new generation of gaming.

The way a console is put together is very important... as for the DualSense, it sounds like they want it to try and feel like you can feel stones while walking or something.  I can't imagine a vast majority of people will even care about that (I know a lot of people that don't even like just rumble to begin with) and I imagine it can't be worth development time in the long run.  It's a gimmick that will fade away when developers realize no one cares. And yes, I will pass on the PS again, I don't like their games at all.

And again, you miss the point, having better and more advanced hardware/software is irrelevant if it's just more of the same thing with prettier makeup on. Xbox One/PS4 generation games could be enjoyed on 360/PS3 hardware with just worst visuals for the most part, look at what the best selling games are every year/week for them (GTAV, CoD, Madden, FIFA, etc).

Fair do's. I just view it as a decent gaming device, and doesn't really belong in any generation much like most Nintendo hardware. Its the exclusives, as always that matter. Also its been out for 3 years already, you can't really call it next gen device anymore, its current gen :P

Haptic feedback allows for better immersion. Like HD rumble for switch but a bit more accurate. Having tension in the triggers sounds like it can be pretty cool as well. Its just little pieces that can add to your experience, there's nothing gimmicky I can see about that. We've pretty much plateaued in terms of design in what can be achieved with controllers why not make touch and feeling something a bit more involving. I doubt it will take a lot to implement these features in game.

I've explained the reason for this. Without new hardware there would be stagnation in the gaming industry. Just look at the amount of hype for the PS5 and the SX. People want to play new games. And yes that includes mainstay titles, even with prettier graphics.

Last edited by hinch - on 07 August 2020

scottslater said:
PotentHerbs said:

I think a talented developer could make it work without having to use loading screens to change the environment.

I mean, they could disguise the loading screens, and cut down the amount of assets, but I don't see how they get around something designed for the SSD rather than the HDD, especially when the appeal of the warping hinges on near instantaneous level changes.

hinch said:
scottslater said:

Fair do's. I just view it as a decent gaming device, and doesn't really belong in any generation much like most Nintendo hardware. Its the exclusives, as always that matter. Like with most Nintendo gear. Also its been out for 3 years already, you can't really call it next gen device anymore, its current gen :P

Haptic feedback allows for better immersion. Like HD rumble for switch but a bit more accurate. Having tension in the triggers sounds like it can be pretty cool as well. Its just little pieces that can add to your experience, there's nothing gimmicky I can see about that. We've pretty much plateaued in terms of design in what can be achieved with controllers why not make touch and feeling something a bit more involving. I doubt it will take a lot to implement these features in game.

I've explained the reason for this. Without new hardware there would be stagnation in the gaming industry. Just look at the amount of hype for the PS5 and the SX. People want to play new games. And yes that includes mainstay titles, even with prettier graphics.

Nintendo certainly does its' own thing, lol.

I'm curious if we have plateaued in terms of design for controllers. Seems like it could be an area for expanded design space though I'm not sure how right this moment.

Is there hype though? I see more and more people losing "hype" for consoles because PC gaming is just a superior version to what consoles are going for.  I think the overwhelming success of the Switch right now is a direct result of not trying to be another "PC wannabe", lol.