By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The different approaches to Next Generation gaming

Impressed with Next Gen gaming?

Yes 13 34.21%

No 20 52.63%

undecided 5 13.16%

Total:38
gergroy said:

Not sure how that isn’t fair... it’s pretty much the most fair way to do it.

Also, with horizon almost 2 years away... it seems silly to compare it to anything honestly, as what was shown will almost certainly be different in the end.  Also your pictures aren’t even the same size for a fair comparison... undoubtedly horizon 2 will look better, but in my opinion the differences don’t seem as big this generation as compared to previous.  Part of the problem with that is the mid gen upgrades that boosted performances...

Nah we can do better..

You can't pit a stylized platformer in its first year against a more realistically designed game thats the end of its long life cycle. And make a fair comparison.. that would be like comparing modern art to classic art. Totally different art direction for one thing.

Think its PS4 capture (OG) 1080P on HZ:ZD vs 4K clip of HZ:FW on PS5. But yeah, honestly wait a couple of years. Look at what devs achieved with 1.84TF with TLOU 2, UC4, GoT, GoW etc. Now imagine what they can do with that extra GPU power, and gargantuan leap in CPU performance.

HZ2 was just a drop in the ocean compared to what things are to come. I can't even fathom GTA 6 graphics.

Around the Network
hinch said:
gergroy said:

Not sure how that isn’t fair... it’s pretty much the most fair way to do it.

Also, with horizon almost 2 years away... it seems silly to compare it to anything honestly, as what was shown will almost certainly be different in the end.  Also your pictures aren’t even the same size for a fair comparison... undoubtedly horizon 2 will look better, but in my opinion the differences don’t seem as big this generation as compared to previous.  Part of the problem with that is the mid gen upgrades that boosted performances...

Nah we can do better..

You can't pit a stylized platformer in its first year against a more realistically designed game thats the end of its long life cycle. And make a fair comparison.. that would be like comparing modern art to classic art. Totally different art direction for one thing.

Think its PS4 capture (OG) 1080P vs 4K. But yeah, honestly wait a couple of years. Look at what devs achieved with 1.84TF with TLOU 2, UC4, GoT, GoW etc. Now imagine what they can do with that extra GPU power, and gargantuan leap in CPU performance.

HZ2 was just a drop in the ocean compared to what things are to come. I can't even fathom GTA 6 graphics.

You seem to be missing the point of the comparison.

The point is not to assess exactly how much better the system will be in the end, it's to assess how big the leap will be on launch day, and whether that leap justifies being an early adopter. For that it makes sense to compare the best of what's available now vs the best of what will be available at launch.

Well yeah there isn't going to be anything at launch that screams next gen I agree, most devs  are just not ready yet ;o

The closest we have is HZ:FW and thats a year away at least.

OP intentions is pretty questionable though.. he didn't even bother writing his thoughts why and throws in Switch in there, because...?

Last edited by hinch - on 06 August 2020

JWeinCom said:
scottslater said:

Was more just looking for other people's opinions on the matter.

As for what I was looking for, just something besides a focus on trying to make games "prettier".  Every "next gen" system is only worried about graphic fidelity, teraflops, etc.  Where is the "next gen" gameplay?

As for the mention of the Switch, that is what I consider the current leader of "next gen".  The games/gameplay have been more revolutionary than anything else released in the last 3 years.

There is more to next generation games than graphics and I just haven't seen it from Microsoft/Sony.

So... yeah, here's the thing... 

It's fine to not be hyped for the next gen. I'm honestly not.

It's also fine to really like the Switch. I do.

What's not fine is to make a topic that is about next generation gaming when what you really want to do is talk about how the Switch is so much better than what Microsoft and Sony are doing. That's baiting, and it's not cool. And the initial mention of the Switch, and this response, sort of make it seem like that's what you're trying to do. 

So, since Nintendo is not releasing a new console in the near future, let's keep the conversation focused on the companies that are. Otherwise, topic's probably going to get locked.

Well, I was considering the Switch as part of the next gen based on this poll...

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/242996/poll-is-switch-a-9th-gen-console/1/#10

So I think comparing systems is completely on topic, wasn't baiting.

You have 2 companies focused on an arms race and the third focused on something different.

So overall, no, I haven't been impressed with what is the "next gen" focus of 2/3rd's (if not more) of the gaming industry.

Last edited by scottslater - on 06 August 2020

Nintendo with the Switch:

JWeinCom said:
hinch said:

Nah we can do better..

Think its PS4 capture (OG) 1080P vs 4K. But yeah, honestly wait a couple of years. Look at what devs achieved with 1.84TF with TLOU 2, UC4, GoT, GoW etc. Now imagine what they can do with that extra GPU power, and gargantuan leap in CPU performance.

The point is not to assess exactly how much better the system will be in the end, it's to assess how big the leap will be on launch day, and whether that leap justifies being an early adopter. For that it makes sense to compare the best of what's available now vs the best of what will be available at launch.

Load times dropping by half to likely much less is already enough for me to be an early adopter. Good riddance of the 5400 rpm stock hdd everything is made for. That's a leap that's not been done before, load times have always gotten longer from one generation to the next. (Apart from tapes to cartridges and floppies, but you get the point)

After reading how much trouble it is to port HZD to pc (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-horizon-zero-dawn-pc-tech-review) I'm glad Sony is not letting last gen be an anchor or cross platform. Back to one HW spec, one ps5 with a blazing fast SSD, excited!

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
JWeinCom said:

Load times dropping by half to likely much less is already enough for me to be an early adopter. Good riddance of the 5400 rpm stock hdd everything is made for. That's a leap that's not been done before, load times have always gotten longer from one generation to the next. (Apart from tapes to cartridges and floppies, but you get the point)

After reading how much trouble it is to port HZD to pc (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-horizon-zero-dawn-pc-tech-review) I'm glad Sony is not letting last gen be an anchor or cross platform. Back to one HW spec, one ps5 with a blazing fast SSD, excited!

Yeah, the loading times is truly the most appealing thing, but I already have a nice gaming laptop with a really fast SSD... lol

scottslater said:
JWeinCom said:

So... yeah, here's the thing... 

It's fine to not be hyped for the next gen. I'm honestly not.

It's also fine to really like the Switch. I do.

What's not fine is to make a topic that is about next generation gaming when what you really want to do is talk about how the Switch is so much better than what Microsoft and Sony are doing. That's baiting, and it's not cool. And the initial mention of the Switch, and this response, sort of make it seem like that's what you're trying to do. 

So, since Nintendo is not releasing a new console in the near future, let's keep the conversation focused on the companies that are. Otherwise, topic's probably going to get locked.

Well, I was considering the Switch as part of the next gen based on this poll...

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/242996/poll-is-switch-a-9th-gen-console/1/#10

You have 2 companies focused on an arms race and the third focused on something different.

So overall, no, I haven't been impressed with what is the "next gen" focus of 2/3rd's (if not more) of the gaming industry.

No, you obviously didn't think the switch was part of the next gen, since your topic stated you were not excited for the next gen and you were going to buy Switch games and accessories instead. Then you edited the topic to include the Switch as a next gen console. 

And now you continue to bring it up :-/ Which is like... exactly what baiting is... So again, just focus on the next gen consoles that this topic was obviously about. PM me if you have an issue with that, because people are actually engaged in discussion, and this is derailing it.

CGI-Quality said:
scottslater said:

Where is the "next gen" gameplay?

Define "next gen gameplay".

Something that is innovative, takes advantage of the hardware in an unique way, etc.

BotW is a great example of "next gen gameplay".  The "open air" design was refreshing for a stale genre, the game is perfect for the hardware it was released on between being a great game to play with a console, tv and controller in a long gaming session or as a handheld game in small gaming session on the way to work in a carpool (shrines for example).

JWeinCom said:
scottslater said:

No, you obviously didn't think the switch was part of the next gen, since your topic stated you were not excited for the next gen and you were going to buy Switch games and accessories instead. Then you edited the topic to include the Switch as a next gen console. 

And now you continue to bring it up :-/ Which is like... exactly what baiting is... So again, just focus on the next gen consoles that this topic was obviously about. PM me if you have an issue with that, because people are actually engaged in discussion, and this is derailing it.

No, I completely considered it a part of the next gen discussion hence why I mentioned it.

You derailed the topic when you questioned my intentions. I cleaned up the first post to make it more clear that I considered it the first of the new generation.

scottslater said:
SvennoJ said:

Yeah, the loading times is truly the most appealing thing, but I already have a nice gaming laptop with a really fast SSD... lol

Same, and it still takes 3 minutes to load certain tracks in Train simulator lol. Plus read how bad HZD runs on PC....
I'm not expecting fast load times from Flight Simulator either, even from a 2.8 GB/s SSD. I did reserve 180 GB for FS since from HDD it will probably be intolerable :/