Impressed with Next Gen gaming?

Yes 13 34.21%

No 20 52.63%

undecided 5 13.16%

Total:38
Chazore said:
SvennoJ said:

Convenience...

It handles plenty, it's just not as easy to use as a console. Nor is building a PC or dragging that back and forth to the tv or have it taking up space in a different room. And it did cost 3x as much as a XBox One X (over a year after the One X released)

I'm not black and white, I enjoy both, but know to expect 'difficulties' when gaming on a laptop.

Convenience as to what?. That doesn't answer my first two questions.

It doesn't sound like it does, going by each time you mention having to tweak settings a lot of the time and going below or at 30fps.

I dunno, I've got handles on my mid tower and I've no issue hooking it up to my TV in the living room or playing it at my desk in my room. It's not a world ender.

Yeah, but that's what you paid for, the slight mobility.

You say you enjoy both, but I'm seeing more downsides from you in regards to PC gaming, let alone the rig side of all aspects, vs the seemingly perfect setup of a closed box.

Like if it's really not B&W, can we get more pros than cons, or at the very least, more cons for the closed box team?, you know, to make it not seem to B&W.

Convenience as to space and multi purpose.

I use a laptop daily anyway and rather use one with a quality keyboard and screen, which happens to be on gaming laptops. So spending a little extra on a laptop that I use daily so I can play games on it as well, very convenient.

I was tweaking settings as well when I had my own build PC and pre-built towers. Admittedly tweaking them beyond high settings and to get mods to run but always touching the settings. I would not start any new game without first browsing through all the settings and sometimes ini files. Heck setting up Elite dangerous takes over half an hour which had nothing to do with graphics settings, pages and pages of control bindings. (Which all reset after the game got patched ugh)

I did move a PC back and forth from my desk to my projector to play ETS2 at 92", very cool, bit less cool with keyboard balanced on the couch and using a mouse on my knee for the menus but driving went fine with a controller. But as a bonus, localized radio stations while driving a truck through those countries through internet radio. But it's just easier to move a console around which doesn't need to finish installing updates when you turn it off to unplug.

You want more cons for the closed box team?

No mods, can't make stuff like this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192246458&searchtext=paris
Can't alt-tab and browse the forums or write a blog while playing like this https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/exploration-quest-for-the-loneliest-planet.132053/
Can't have my own music mixed in with the games, Celeste while listening to my own trance music, big plus!

Back on topic, still excited for next gen without the HDD bottleneck and can't wait until the 18th to start flying.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Convenience as to space and multi purpose.

I use a laptop daily anyway and rather use one with a quality keyboard and screen, which happens to be on gaming laptops. So spending a little extra on a laptop that I use daily so I can play games on it as well, very convenient.

I was tweaking settings as well when I had my own build PC and pre-built towers. Admittedly tweaking them beyond high settings and to get mods to run but always touching the settings. I would not start any new game without first browsing through all the settings and sometimes ini files. Heck setting up Elite dangerous takes over half an hour which had nothing to do with graphics settings, pages and pages of control bindings. (Which all reset after the game got patched ugh)

I did move a PC back and forth from my desk to my projector to play ETS2 at 92", very cool, bit less cool with keyboard balanced on the couch and using a mouse on my knee for the menus but driving went fine with a controller. But as a bonus, localized radio stations while driving a truck through those countries through internet radio. But it's just easier to move a console around which doesn't need to finish installing updates when you turn it off to unplug.

You want more cons for the closed box team?

No mods, can't make stuff like this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192246458&searchtext=paris
Can't alt-tab and browse the forums or write a blog while playing like this https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/exploration-quest-for-the-loneliest-planet.132053/
Can't have my own music mixed in with the games, Celeste while listening to my own trance music, big plus!

Which is what you can do with a desktop?.

You can get quality KB/Screens with desktops regardless at the end of the day. You can even get screens with crane arms to better suit flexibility in a given area.

It honestly doesn't sound very convient for you, when you mention it's shortcomings here and there, outside of the very basic minimal tasks any PC is ever used for (Messaging, writing, media etc).

I tweak games myself, but that's purely of my own choice, rather than a "I need to do this", if I need to because something isn't working right that's not my problem, that's entirely on the devs, or at the very least, MS or Nvidia, but we've seen that in the past as well when it came to closed boxes bricking, overheating, fans dying (like my OG PS3 fan completely dying outside of it's warranty).

I don't think I've ever had to turn off my tower during mid updates, even then it's just an OS update and I simply click "install update and turn off PC" option you get with Windows 10 updates, so I don't really ened to do much when it comes to updating.

Yeah, those are a given, but at the same time those should have honestly been pointed out from the start.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

Which is what you can do with a desktop?.

You can get quality KB/Screens with desktops regardless at the end of the day. You can even get screens with crane arms to better suit flexibility in a given area.

It honestly doesn't sound very convient for you, when you mention it's shortcomings here and there, outside of the very basic minimal tasks any PC is ever used for (Messaging, writing, media etc).

I tweak games myself, but that's purely of my own choice, rather than a "I need to do this", if I need to because something isn't working right that's not my problem, that's entirely on the devs, or at the very least, MS or Nvidia, but we've seen that in the past as well when it came to closed boxes bricking, overheating, fans dying (like my OG PS3 fan completely dying outside of it's warranty).

I don't think I've ever had to turn off my tower during mid updates, even then it's just an OS update and I simply click "install update and turn off PC" option you get with Windows 10 updates, so I don't really ened to do much when it comes to updating.

Yeah, those are a given, but at the same time those should have honestly been pointed out from the start.

I've gamed on desktops, laptops and consoles all my life. You seriously want to compare closed boxes bricking to managing drivers, patches that can make games unplayable until you upgrade, hw specific issues that you will simply have to wait until maybe a future update fixes it, etc. When a console game has issues, everyone has the same issues and it will get fixed asap.

When I was moving my tower, (windows 7 at the time), nearly every time when I hit shut down, finishing installing updates came up then again while turning it on, turning a simple move into a 5 to 10 minute affair. It wasn't mid updates, just windows storing up crap until a reboot comes along. (Yes I turned auto reboot off since I've lost plenty work because of that in the past)

Anyway, after 3 decades I settled on a gaming laptop plus console for the most convenient, least maintenance, most game time way to enjoy gaming. Gaming laptop for the stuff that isn't available on console or when mouse + KB is simply more convenient, console as my primary games machine. (Although I'm expecting Flight Simulator to keep me busy for a long time)

Best of both worlds with minimal hassle, but still some.

SvennoJ said:

I've gamed on desktops, laptops and consoles all my life. You seriously want to compare closed boxes bricking to managing drivers, patches that can make games unplayable until you upgrade, hw specific issues that you will simply have to wait until maybe a future update fixes it, etc. When a console game has issues, everyone has the same issues and it will get fixed asap.

When I was moving my tower, (windows 7 at the time), nearly every time when I hit shut down, finishing installing updates came up then again while turning it on, turning a simple move into a 5 to 10 minute affair. It wasn't mid updates, just windows storing up crap until a reboot comes along. (Yes I turned auto reboot off since I've lost plenty work because of that in the past)

Anyway, after 3 decades I settled on a gaming laptop plus console for the most convenient, least maintenance, most game time way to enjoy gaming. Gaming laptop for the stuff that isn't available on console or when mouse + KB is simply more convenient, console as my primary games machine. (Although I'm expecting Flight Simulator to keep me busy for a long time)

Best of both worlds with minimal hassle, but still some.

That hasn't stopped gamers comparing with ye old driver/OS updates before (still see it on twitter in fact).

Windows sometimes does that even with 10, when turning it back on can finish an installation update, but thankfully with 10, those aren't the same all the time (usually the bigger updates require this).

It's fair doos on what you want out of life, but personally I've just stopped seeing gaming lappy's as anything but gaming. Maybe when they pack a bit more power for portability, better ventilation and more GPU power I might consider them again. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Looking forward to next gen, also HZD port wasn't done by guerrilla, done by someone who has a history of bad ports. The main studio couldn't be arsed, but I'm fortunate to have specs to run at 1440p/max.

Around the Network

Not particularly impressed, but as both MS and Sony were quite prudent in CPU cores choice, going for customised Zen 2, they left a small possibility to add hybrid models later, using Zen 3+ tech to achieve Zen 2 performance with a low power consumption CPU core version, that would be quite interesting.
Anyhow I'm quite satisfied, prudent performance leap and use of a well known architecture, basically the same as current gen with updates, should help avoiding dev costs skyrocketing, so the only thing left that could cause another horrible videogames crash is MS botching big time its new GAAS model, preventing too many games from breaking even.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!