By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The different approaches to Next Generation gaming

Impressed with Next Gen gaming?

Yes 13 34.21%

No 20 52.63%

undecided 5 13.16%

Total:38

I agree with the OP that to me Next Gen means an experience I couldn't get on the previous gen system (ideally better).  I could play Street Fighter 2 on the SNES.  That game never would have worked on the NES even with 8-bit graphics.  There were fighting game attempts like Karate Champ and Urban Champion, but neither had the fluidity or tight controls (or 6 button controller) that was needed for SF2. 

Ironically, I bought the SNES at launch and Super Mario World didn't feel better than Super Mario 3.  It was fun, and it looked prettier, but it just didn't feel like it played better.  And that is kind of the norm with launch games.  Link to the Past and Castlevania 4 and Final Fantasy 4&6 all felt like games that could never be made on the NES even using 8-bit graphics.  Usually these games tend to come later.  Final Fantasy X felt next gen, but it wasn't available at launch.  Same with Dark Souls.

But then we get to the PS4.  I don't feel like PS4 had any "next gen" gameplay.  Every game I've tried or even looked at just seemed like a PS3 game with prettier graphics.  Nothing "felt" next gen.  That is why I'm pessimisstic about PS5.  Both Sony and AAA third parties seem to think next gen just means prettier graphics.  That is not enough.  I need new gameplay.  I'm not getting a PS5 at launch, but there is a good chance I'll never get one unless it has games with new gameplay.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
scottslater said:

I think a talented developer could make it work without having to use loading screens to change the environment.

I mean, they could disguise the loading screens, and cut down the amount of assets, but I don't see how they get around something designed for the SSD rather than the HDD, especially when the appeal of the warping hinges on near instantaneous level changes.

I would go rewatch that demo, after viewing it again I don't think what was happening is what people think is happening.  The purple "warp" when he falls out of the building is most likely just a loading screen, not an actual "warp" (very well disguised).  The yellow "warp" portals are just moving from spot on the level to another spot at instant speed, which can already be done in other games (think like Shadow of War and the Shadow Strike skill).

EDIT: Actually, after going back and rewatching that Ratchet and Clank demo, I'm not impressed at all with the game.

Last edited by scottslater - on 07 August 2020

Nintendo with the Switch:

zero129 said:
SvennoJ said:

Load times dropping by half to likely much less is already enough for me to be an early adopter. Good riddance of the 5400 rpm stock hdd everything is made for. That's a leap that's not been done before, load times have always gotten longer from one generation to the next. (Apart from tapes to cartridges and floppies, but you get the point)

After reading how much trouble it is to port HZD to pc (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-horizon-zero-dawn-pc-tech-review) I'm glad Sony is not letting last gen be an anchor or cross platform. Back to one HW spec, one ps5 with a blazing fast SSD, excited!

HZD's problems doesnt come from "Cross Platform" or "Being an Anchor" so stop sounding like Goopy here. Otherwise why is the plenty of other devs that can handle multiplat games and give each hardware their advantages?. How come Death Standing doesn't have the same problems as horizon?. Would it be possible that its down to the devs if their ports are not up to scratch? No that could never be the case lets just blame everything other then the devs.

PM sent

PM not received? I did find a message I missed from July 17th lol.

HZDs problems could very well come from particular optimizations (coding to the metal) on console which provide issues porting to PC

For example one of the comments on Eurogamer

It's very interesting to compare the quality of this port with that of Death Stranding. Guerrilla are clearly masters of their domain on console but Kojima Productions have more experience on PC and were working closely with PC hardware manufacturers.

The stuttering framerate paired with an unusually high dependence on PCIe bandwidth sounds a lot like texture streaming issues. Perhaps the GTX 1060 was suffering compared to the RX 580 due to having 2GB less VRAM available. It sounds slightly reminiscent of the Arkham Knight PC port in this case.

Guerrilla have previously stated that Decima was tuned to 30fps with additional CPU cycles being utilised to stream assets in the background, but that doesn't necessarily account for the extra hop from system RAM to VRAM. Kojima Productions mentioned rewriting this scheduling for PC to better use fewer more powerful cores, most likely they rewrote the texture streaming logic to better address non-unified memory.

Yes, you can get good performance when designing your engine for cross platform.
Yet writing for specific hardware will get the best results, that's why I'm excited for the SSD tech in the PS5.

SvennoJ said:

I don't see gaming PCs getting games optimized for up to 9 GB/s SSD direct to video RAM transfer speeds...

Nor do I see gaming PCs getting major AAA games that just work without needing to go into settings or checking requirements :p

I guess this makes the umpteenth death knell for PC gaming then. Time to pack it up and disassemble the rigs lads. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
SvennoJ said:

I don't see gaming PCs getting games optimized for up to 9 GB/s SSD direct to video RAM transfer speeds...

Nor do I see gaming PCs getting major AAA games that just work without needing to go into settings or checking requirements :p

I guess this makes the umpteenth death knell for PC gaming then. Time to pack it up and disassemble the rigs lads. 

Why so black and white?
PC gaming is simply different.

Consoles provide convenience and knowing that whatever you can buy for it will run on it.
PC provides customizability and versatility in input methods.

I've already bought the premium edition of Flight Simulator and will be targeting 1080p24 to start with, hoping my GTX 1060 can pull off high settings and remain mostly stable at 24 fps. I fully expect it to drop in heavy weather and while taxiing / landing at highly detailed major airports. Yet I get to use my Logitech 3D pro and keyboard and mouse to operate the planes the way I want to. However tweaking / balancing settings is part of sims :/

Yet for games like TLOU2 I'll be playing on console for a stable great experience without any hassle.

Around the Network
scottslater said:
PotentHerbs said:

I mean, they could disguise the loading screens, and cut down the amount of assets, but I don't see how they get around something designed for the SSD rather than the HDD, especially when the appeal of the warping hinges on near instantaneous level changes.

I would go rewatch that demo, after viewing it again I don't think what was happening is what people think is happening.  The purple "warp" when he falls out of the building is most likely just a loading screen, not an actual "warp" (very well disguised).  The yellow "warp" portals are just moving from spot on the level to another spot at instant speed, which can already be done in other games (think like Shadow of War and the Shadow Strike skill).

EDIT: Actually, after going back and rewatching that Ratchet and Clank demo, I'm not impressed at all with the game.

Are you referring to the gameplay demo itself or the switching of multiple worlds? Because its the near instantaneous loading of worlds and assets that are impressive. Its similar to how developers implement "elevator loading screens" but taken up a couple of notches. Ultimately, near instant loading opens up many gameplay opportunities, whereas hidden loading screens this generation don't. 

SvennoJ said:

Why so black and white?
PC gaming is simply different.

Consoles provide convenience and knowing that whatever you can buy for it will run on it.
PC provides customizability and versatility in input methods.

I've already bought the premium edition of Flight Simulator and will be targeting 1080p24 to start with, hoping my GTX 1060 can pull off high settings and remain mostly stable at 24 fps. I fully expect it to drop in heavy weather and while taxiing / landing at highly detailed major airports. Yet I get to use my Logitech 3D pro and keyboard and mouse to operate the planes the way I want to. However tweaking / balancing settings is part of sims :/

Yet for games like TLOU2 I'll be playing on console for a stable great experience without any hassle.

I'm going to ask the same =P

It's different yes, but why do you make it sound so bad?.

I'm going to be honest, you having to drop all kinds of settings is because you willingly chose that laptop. I made the bad choice for my gf by buying her an Omen "gaming laptop" which also features a 1060 in it and supports 144hz, yet it handles next to nothing, and honestly, years ago It hought gaming laptops were utter garbage and today I can confirm that hasn't changed. 

My suggestion would be to drop the laptop and go for either a SFF build, mid range tower or even a high tower, because Gaming laptops are still garbage, imo (well hardly imo, because you're having to drop settings, so is my gf, and I see gaming laptop suers complaining all the time, so it's more objective at this point really).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:

I'm going to ask the same =P

It's different yes, but why do you make it sound so bad?.

I'm going to be honest, you having to drop all kinds of settings is because you willingly chose that laptop. I made the bad choice for my gf by buying her an Omen "gaming laptop" which also features a 1060 in it and supports 144hz, yet it handles next to nothing, and honestly, years ago It hought gaming laptops were utter garbage and today I can confirm that hasn't changed. 

My suggestion would be to drop the laptop and go for either a SFF build, mid range tower or even a high tower, because Gaming laptops are still garbage, imo (well hardly imo, because you're having to drop settings, so is my gf, and I see gaming laptop suers complaining all the time, so it's more objective at this point really).

Convenience...

It handles plenty, it's just not as easy to use as a console. Nor is building a PC or dragging that back and forth to the tv or have it taking up space in a different room. And it did cost 3x as much as a XBox One X (over a year after the One X released)

I'm not black and white, I enjoy both, but know to expect 'difficulties' when gaming on a laptop.

SvennoJ said:

Convenience...

It handles plenty, it's just not as easy to use as a console. Nor is building a PC or dragging that back and forth to the tv or have it taking up space in a different room. And it did cost 3x as much as a XBox One X (over a year after the One X released)

I'm not black and white, I enjoy both, but know to expect 'difficulties' when gaming on a laptop.

Convenience as to what?. That doesn't answer my first two questions.

It doesn't sound like it does, going by each time you mention having to tweak settings a lot of the time and going below or at 30fps.

I dunno, I've got handles on my mid tower and I've no issue hooking it up to my TV in the living room or playing it at my desk in my room. It's not a world ender.

Yeah, but that's what you paid for, the slight mobility.

You say you enjoy both, but I'm seeing more downsides from you in regards to PC gaming, let alone the rig side of all aspects, vs the seemingly perfect setup of a closed box.

Like if it's really not B&W, can we get more pros than cons, or at the very least, more cons for the closed box team?, you know, to make it not seem to B&W.

PotentHerbs said:
scottslater said:

Are you referring to the gameplay demo itself or the switching of multiple worlds? Because its the near instantaneous loading of worlds and assets that are impressive. Its similar to how developers implement "elevator loading screens" but taken up a couple of notches. Ultimately, near instant loading opens up many gameplay opportunities, whereas hidden loading screens this generation don't. 

The demo that someone shared on this thread, it isn't switching multiple worlds, it's literally just teleportation.

EDIT: I found the demo you are probably thinking of, again, that's in a controlled environment, until a game is in gamer's hands I don't fall for that shit anymore. See: Fallout '76

Last edited by scottslater - on 07 August 2020

Nintendo with the Switch: