By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - When did you join VGChartz, and what made you join?

When did you join?

This year 1 2.27%

2019-2018 2 4.55%

2017-2016 8 18.18%

2015-2014 7 15.91%

2013-2012 2 4.55%

2011-2010 5 11.36%

2009-2008 11 25.00%

2007 or earlier 8 18.18%

Total:44

Lurked for years looking at sales numbers, then lurked the forums and eventually posted when I saw something too stupid not to reply too. A thread saying XB1 would catchup and overtake the PS4 in the US. I replied to a user saying that the PS4 was only ahead because of launching a week earlier, 6 months after launch.

I didn't know then but the thread became infamous for the 'globally in the US' comment.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Technically I joined in 2010 on a different account but I actively lurked this site in 2008-2009. I originally only cared about seeing the numbers for the Xbox 360 but gradually warmed up to the idea of making an account and actively engaging with the community.

I lurked for a few months before finally joining in 2007.

I joined because I was interested in Wii/360/ps3 sales at the time.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Joined 2008 but was a lurker since the beginning

Made an account 1 months ago, but have been lurking without an account for 12 years.

Around the Network

Back during the early part of Generation 7 my perception was that the Wii and PS3 both looked like fun and solid consoles while XBox systems in general looked like a fad.  I was also visiting Gamasutra a lot to get developer's perspectives on gaming.  What surprised me was 1) they saw XBox360 as serious console, and 2) the Wii was extremely divisive.  They seemed to resent it while also being shocked at how well it was selling.  It made me realize how tech driven Western game developers are instead of being entertainment driven.

Because of that discussion, I started paying attention to sales numbers more.  Gamasutra would post monthly NPD numbers, for example.  Occassionally, like every couple of months, I would check the front page of VGChartz in order to look at worldwide totals.  I might briefly look at the forums once every few years, but I never looked long enough to get invested.    

Around the end of 2017 I spontaneously decided to make a list of my 100 favorite games of all time.  Shortly afterward I just happened to check VGChartz and saw that they had a "list your top 50 games of all time" thread.  Since I already made a list I decided to join, and I guess I got hooked in ever since.

I joined to gloat about the Switch ngl.

OTBWY said:
I joined to gloat about the Switch ngl.

you just wanted to rub in that cliffdrop

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

melbye said:
Ioi came to my house, put a gun to my head and forced me back in 2007

Let me guess, did he had a few drinks?

NyanNyanNekoChan said:

Made an account 1 months ago, but have been lurking without an account for 12 years.

Well, about time!

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

So far more than half of voters joined in 2009 or earlier; seems we have a high proportion of battle scarred veterans still around!
The first half of the 7th gen was indeed a very exciting time in gaming.

Seems a lot of us also jumped in on impulse after seeing a debate we felt we had to take part in.

I can't even remember what my first post was, is there any way to check? (Other than going back through "my posts" one page at a time for hours on end? XD)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 July 2020