By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What kind of Super Mario game do you want Nintendo to make next?

What kind of Mario game do you want?

A New 2D Platformer 18 31.58%

A new 3D Platformer 22 38.60%

A new Party/sports game 3 5.26%

A new Mario Kart 1 1.75%

A Compilation 5 8.77%

Other (comment) 8 14.04%

Total:57
Slownenberg said:
IcaroRibeiro said:
If they want to make a SM Odyssey 2 I hope they make at least twice as many kingdoms. Odyssey must be a masterpiece and I gave it a 10/10, but it's criminally short. Even if you are a completionist and don't get bored to explore the same kingdoms again and again you still can finish everything is like 60 hours. Indeed after only about 30 I was done with the game

You realize that 60 hours is VERY LONG for a platformer right?

Sure if you just do what you need to do to get to the end you can probably beat the game in 15 or 20 hours but that's because it doesn't require you to get a ton of moons to get to the end. I think it took me like 26 or 28 hours to beat it because I did a decent amount more than just what was required. Then I kept playing the game another 30 hours to get more moons. Still have a decent number of the harder moons to get. That is a very long game for the genre. Calling it criminally short is like calling Breath of the Wild criminally short and demanding BotW2 be at least 200 hours haha.

The problem is I got bored after redoing the same maps over and over to get moons. My 30 hours include 15 hours discovering moons, and I'm sure I could spend at least more 20 only looking for more moons, but the sense of discovering and exploring is not the same when you are in the same kingdoms for long a time. Being a platform is no excuse, it's a sequel of triple A game 60 dollar priced in the biggest nintendo franchise. It must be at least 30 hours worth in the main story and closer to 100 to get 100%

And yes, I demand BOTW 2 to take me at least 200 hours. I spent around 150 in the first one, I see no reason why the second (that inherits assets, engine and gameplay development and is mostly focused in new content) cannot provide me at least 25% more time of playthrough 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Slownenberg said:

You realize that 60 hours is VERY LONG for a platformer right?

Sure if you just do what you need to do to get to the end you can probably beat the game in 15 or 20 hours but that's because it doesn't require you to get a ton of moons to get to the end. I think it took me like 26 or 28 hours to beat it because I did a decent amount more than just what was required. Then I kept playing the game another 30 hours to get more moons. Still have a decent number of the harder moons to get. That is a very long game for the genre. Calling it criminally short is like calling Breath of the Wild criminally short and demanding BotW2 be at least 200 hours haha.

The problem is I got bored after redoing the same maps over and over to get moons. My 30 hours include 15 hours discovering moons, and I'm sure I could spend at least more 20 only looking for more moons, but the sense of discovering and exploring is not the same when you are in the same kingdoms for long a time. Being a platform is no excuse, it's a sequel of triple A game 60 dollar priced in the biggest nintendo franchise. It must be at least 30 hours worth in the main story and closer to 100 to get 100%

And yes, I demand BOTW 2 to take me at least 200 hours. I spent around 150 in the first one, I see no reason why the second (that inherits assets, engine and gameplay development and is mostly focused in new content) cannot provide me at least 25% more time of playthrough 

It's not about excuses, it's just the simple fact that Mario Odyssey is a very long game for the genre. As you said, there's roughly 60 hours of gaming if you try to fully complete the game or get close to fully completing it. That's huge for the genre!

You do realize there are plenty of AAA games that are like 10 hours right? Sometimes even shorter. Now THAT is criminally short. 30-60 hours of gameplay depending on how badly you wanna complete everything is in no way anything close to being described as short. You know the type of one player games that are longer than Mario Odyssey? RPGs and adventure games, that's it, and only the longer ones!

I'm not sure where you got the idea that a platformer should be 100 hours long, because that game doesn't exist. 30 hours is already VERY long for a platformer, the fact that Odyssey offers along the lines of 60 hours if you're trying to get close to 100%'ing it is fantastic. I'm glad they made such a long game, they could have easily provided less content and made it a more standard length of say like 15 hours to beat it and 30 hours to 100% it.

Your comment makes me think you've never played any type of game that isn't an RPG or some sprawling open world game. Certainly you must not have ever played a platforming game before.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 26 July 2020

I still hope for a new Mario Golf.

Slownenberg said:

Your comment makes me think you've never played any type of game that isn't an RPG or some sprawling open world game. Certainly you must not have ever played a platforming game before.

I... can't disagree much I guess. At least not enough to beat. I used to play them a lot when I was a child (played a plenty of disney games Aladdin, Donald, etc) and could spend over 30 hours to 80%+ Crash Bandicoot 2 or 3, but once I become older I was just a casual player of platforms

rapsuperstar31 said:
GamingRabbit said:

Something that..
... is not a 2d side-scroller
... is not similar to Super Mario Odyssey (didnt like it and it was the first time that I regretted my purchase)
... what goes beyond what can be expected in a game for everyone/kids in terms of puzzle/problem solving difficulty

If you didn't sell Mario Odyssey, give it another shot.  Sometimes games need a few shots at it.  My brother started and stopped playing BOTW twice not really liking it before trying a 3rd time and loving it.  I've done the same on quite a few games like Skyrim, Final Fantasy X, Grand Theft Auto 5.  It really is the perfect 3d Mario game and quite addicting once it hits its groove.  If not that's cool, not every game is for everyone.  I personally can't get into Halo, Call of Duty, most free to play games, and many other popular games that just don't click with me.

I did give it another shot... twice.. played through the game and even got all the "stars".

Which is why I can say for myself, that Odyssey is by far the worst mario game I have ever played.

Even more, Odyssey is - in my opinion - the only game in the whole franchise, that I genuinely consider bad.

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

Around the Network

Like to see a new game in the style of 3d land/world...or Galaxy 3.

Slownenberg said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It's not about excuses, it's just the simple fact that Mario Odyssey is a very long game for the genre. As you said, there's roughly 60 hours of gaming if you try to fully complete the game or get close to fully completing it. That's huge for the genre!

You do realize there are plenty of AAA games that are like 10 hours right? Sometimes even shorter. Now THAT is criminally short. 30-60 hours of gameplay depending on how badly you wanna complete everything is in no way anything close to being described as short. You know the type of one player games that are longer than Mario Odyssey? RPGs and adventure games, that's it, and only the longer ones!

I'm not sure where you got the idea that a platformer should be 100 hours long, because that game doesn't exist. 30 hours is already VERY long for a platformer, the fact that Odyssey offers along the lines of 60 hours if you're trying to get close to 100%'ing it is fantastic. I'm glad they made such a long game, they could have easily provided less content and made it a more standard length of say like 15 hours to beat it and 30 hours to 100% it.

true 2d Mario is different than 3d mario.

2d Mario have too many arcade roots ( easy to learn but hard to master, tons of secrets, shortcuts, etc) . And 3d Mario is more adventure to collect a ton game ( open world-Esque, complex moves, plural verbs). 

But one 3d Mario with more secrets and more direct design resembles 2d Mario be very fresh approach. game with 2 hours to beat and 100/200 hours to really complete the game. 

I think time ia due for a new take on the 2D Super Mario formula.
Since I already played Tropical Freeze and NSMBU on WiiU, the Switch still lacks a great new 1st party 2D platform

Either new mario&luigi with new modern graphics or another 3d mario where he has a weapon like cappy. Odyssey & 3d world are the onlyd3d marios ive enjoyed because of the improved combat. It always frustrated me in otherd3d marios that items were temporary.

Well I'm always in the mood for a new Mario Kart, but if we get MK9 on Switch I would be very surprised. If we do it'll be close to Switch 2 release and be cross-gen / ported later.

So in order probably....

Mario Kart 9 > Super Mario Odyssey 2 > Super Mario Strikers Reboot > Super Mario Party 2 > New 2D Mario Style >>>>>>>>>>>>> NSMB Switch

Last edited by Barkley - on 05 August 2020