By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What kind of Super Mario game do you want Nintendo to make next?

What kind of Mario game do you want?

A New 2D Platformer 18 31.58%

A new 3D Platformer 22 38.60%

A new Party/sports game 3 5.26%

A new Mario Kart 1 1.75%

A Compilation 5 8.77%

Other (comment) 8 14.04%

Total:57
Leynos said:
Forgot to mention. Mario RPG 2. Not Paper Mario. Not Mario & Luigi. Mario RPG 2. Isomettric 3D.

That would be AWESOME! I would love Super Mario RPG 2. With how the Mario Universe has expanded with Galaxy and Odyssey, I think the whole scope of what Super Mario RPG 2 could be has been drastically expanded over the first game. Monolithsoft is the obvious dev house for it in combination with former EAD devs. I think this game could be bigger and better quality than Kingdom Hearts, with the potential for significantly higher numbers.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy 3, though I wouldn’t mind Super Mario 3D World 2 either. Not really waiting for a 2D Mario.

I want something new, that we have not seen Mario in before. Like Mario vs Rabbids Kingdom Battles.

I don’t know what it would be, but Nintendo or some partnering could probably bring us something and surprise us.

EDIT:// Why not a mario combat flight ”sim” for example.

Dulfite said:
Paper Mario: Total War

There is peace in the world, until mysterious X-Naughts appear around Rogueport with the intent to capture the city and unleash an ancient demon upon the world, plunging it into chaos. Conquering like the barbarian horde they are, they set their eyes on all lands and realms of existence.

Which nation will you choose and which path to salvation? Will you defend the Thousand Year Door from the onslaught of X-Naughts? Perhaps you will be the one unleashing the demon upon the world, hoping you can use her to conquer. Will you seek the Star Rod with the goal of obtaining ultimate power to ensure peace forevermore, or use it to vanquish and subjucate all your enemies and marry the woman of your dream? Or will you use the Light or Dark prognosticus to conquer all the realms of existance? Maybe you will select a nation that seeks the royal stickers and the power that they wield? Maybe you will seek after the black paint corruption to obtain power, at the cost of losing your sanity? Or maybe you will seek the power of folding, to recreate insubordinates into mindless subordinates for your slave army?

The choice is yours. Will you destroy or will you save? This is TOTAL WAR!

I actually had a similar idea, just instead of Total War, the Map would have been more similar to the FFCC: My Life as a King WiiWare game.

Basically, a new enemy (or a very old one making a comeback) is in town. He was observing the Paper Mario Universe for a while and concluded that Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad would be his primary targets before he takes on the Koopa Troopa and Bowser himself. While he successfully captures Mario and his friends, he's stopped short before Bowser.

Now all that he has left is his mostly ruined castle (can be rebuilt and upgraded over the course of the game), his final guardsmen (a couple koopas in full armor) as well as Kamek and the Koopalings, who, just like Bowser, act as Generals. He has to reconquer the Mushroom Kingdom sector by sector, with each one guarded by an enemy army of up to 8 units plus a commander. To conquer them, you'd have to choose a General and up to 8 troops to go out with him and select the target sector, along with which items you want to bring along. After conquest, you'll have to leave some troops there to guard the sector, as the opponent will try to reconquer them. This is also true for Koopa Castle, as the enemy has access to the airships (those from SMB3), so until those facilities have all been reconquered better keep a close eye on your forts and main castle.

Each sector produces some ressource, be it a goomba village (the very first sector you can conquer btw) to recruit goombas or other villages for different troops, foodstuff and the like to cook up supplies to to bring along (so basically Tess.T/Zess.T equivalents), stones to rebuild Bowser's Castle and new special rooms (like a goomba training room to turn goombas into gloombas, for instance or a flight academy to make paragoombas and parakoopas).

The goal is to conquer the entire map, then storm the villain's castle to throw the villain out (literally, with Bowser even telling him that what the villain did is his job!)

Spoiler!
During this, Mario, Peach, Luigi and Toad will also be rescued. This would then be followed up by a sequence where Mario must rein in Bowser with a short series of Super Paper Mario-like levels where he fights the Koopalings and Kamek until he's face to face with Bowser, beat him and thus puts the status quo back in place.

I had that idea already about 10 years ago, but sadly, I do not work at Nintendo to make it a reality...

Planned name for the game above would have been Paper Bowser. And I got the idea when I was thinking about the fact that every character in the Mario Franchise got his own game (Luigi's Mansion, Super Princess Peach, Captain Toad, several Yoshi games, Wario Land/Ware...), but the closest Bowser got to it was Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and I thought it would have been high time for him to get his own game.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 26 July 2020

Full Fledge 2d AAA Mario.

New Worlds, New Power ups, world map with events (randomized), full coop 4 players ( online + local) , new characters ( unlockables). 

New modes ( invasion mode 4 players, the heroes, versus 4 players can control the enemies in the stage)

Versus mode, likewise DS, support 8 players ( online + local) , +20 different arenas/stages

Tons of secrets. 

Around the Network
Valdney said:

The worlds needs another 2d Mario, badly. I bought both Mario Maker 2 and NSMBU Deluxe on a sale at GameStop for 40 bucks each, a week or so ago. Let me tell, I don’t understand all the hype behind Maio Maker at all, what a boring ass game. I decided to play it first because of all the hype and, Oh man I could not be more disappointed. The so called campaign mode is just a bunch of uninspired and dull levels and even frustrating at times. I tried some levels online too and I hardly ever came across anything fresh and exciting. A Mario level editor is definitely no substitute for a real 2d Mario adventure. I will sell my copy of Mario Maker 2. Thank God I didn’t pay full price for this.

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised by NSMBU Deluxe. Of course the game is way too similar to the Wii game for my liking, but it is a superior version of that game. It is not the 2d Mario game of my dreams, but as a fan I could say that NSMBU Deluxe is at the very least serviceable. I feel like these 40 bucks were well spent. NSMBU Deluxe will almost certainly cross the 10 million mark.

Anyway, thanks for this thread. And yeah, We’re way overdue for a fresh 2d Mario adventure.

Agreed

Super Mario Odyssey 2. There's still so much more that can be done with that formula. I'd love to have more worlds with some added challenge.

Super Mario Odyssey 2. There's so much more you can do. Make Luigi playable, ride Yoshi, and add full 2-player for the first time in a more traditional 3D mario.
Super Mario Sunshine 2. You could have another tropical island near Delfino to explore, and add full 2-player as well.
An original 2D Mario. Give me a kookier, more risk-taking 2D Mario. Have Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi as the playable characters. Make them all play different, have unique enemies and more unique worlds and enemy designs.

If we're talking spin-offs, I would like Mario Strikers 3, Paper Mario 1 and 2 Remakes, Super Mario Party 2, Mario Golf, and Mario Kart 9. I'd like a brand-new classic-style Paper Mario, but that's a tall order when we already have Origami King on Switch.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Jumpin said:
Leynos said:
Forgot to mention. Mario RPG 2. Not Paper Mario. Not Mario & Luigi. Mario RPG 2. Isomettric 3D.

That would be AWESOME! I would love Super Mario RPG 2. With how the Mario Universe has expanded with Galaxy and Odyssey, I think the whole scope of what Super Mario RPG 2 could be has been drastically expanded over the first game. Monolithsoft is the obvious dev house for it in combination with former EAD devs. I think this game could be bigger and better quality than Kingdom Hearts, with the potential for significantly higher numbers.

Ah I never thought about the comparison to Kingdom Hearts. That'd be a good answer to Kingdom Hearts since Nintendo doesn't get that series. Also yeah you are totally right with how much Mario has expanded since Super Mario RPG they could really expand the game. I've been wanting another Mario RPG ever since Paper Mario came out on N64 and I realized it was like thinking you were getting a new car and then it turned out to be a remote control toy car

Agente42 said:

New Worlds, New Power ups, world map with events (randomized), full coop 4 players ( online + local) , new characters ( unlockables). 

New modes ( invasion mode 4 players, the heroes, versus 4 players can control the enemies in the stage)

Versus mode, likewise DS, support 8 players ( online + local) , +20 different arenas/stages

Tons of secrets. 

Yes please that sounds awesome. AAA treatment of a fresh brand new 2D Mario game would be awesome.

Slownenberg said:
Jumpin said:

Ah I never thought about the comparison to Kingdom Hearts. That'd be a good answer to Kingdom Hearts since Nintendo doesn't get that series. Also yeah you are totally right with how much Mario has expanded since Super Mario RPG they could really expand the game. I've been wanting another Mario RPG ever since Paper Mario came out on N64 and I realized it was like thinking you were getting a new car and then it turned out to be a remote control toy car

Agente42 said:

Tons of secrets. 

Yes please that sounds awesome. AAA treatment of a fresh brand new 2D Mario game would be awesome.

I've been dreaming about it for years