By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are you pre-ordering PS5 on August 6th ? (Rumored SoP date)

0D0 said:
Leynos said:
No. Launch units have a lot of issues and best to wait a year or two for them to work out the kinks and more games come out.

This is something that I've heard before but I've never seen any data. I've got no idea how many truly end up with a faulty device. It'd be nice to hear some past experiences about that in a community like VGC.

I don't have hard data in general. I do remember a lot of PS2's having issues readings discs at launch. Earlier OG Xbox consoles had disc drive and PSU failures. PSU issue was bad enough Xbox sent out a free power adapter to people but not sure it really fixed anything. Tech TV burned and dropped a Gamecube from a 20-foot ladder on concrete and still turned on so lol. PSP had dead pixels and became a meme how it ejected people's discs at random. 360 was rushed to market and had a 54% fail rate. MS spent 1 billion to give those people a 3-year warranty and free repairs. PS3 fail rate was not that high but still somewhat high I recall when I worked in-game shops. YLOD was a real problem. Mainly as those machines ran real hot. Tho I don't know how much of that was also due to people buying those piece of shit Nyko fans that made consoles hotter not cooler as intended. Gamestop really upsold those things when selling new consoles. The whole getting a new TV? You will need cables and an antenna and blah blah blah from the Salesman to make more money.

.Wii was I think at one point less than half a percent but it rose to almost 3% in 2008 or 2009 when more systems were out and Smash bros killed some drives. PS3 and 360 numbers when down over time as new models came out I recall. PS3 got down to 10% I believe in 2009-2010 or so. 360 got down to maybe 20% in the same time frame. Launch PS4/Xbox Ones had some issues reading discs but PS4 esp had some GPU issues or PS4 dead out of the box. The switch had similar issues. Not to mention they never fixed Joycon drift.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Some saying pre-ordering is silly. Let’s see if you have the same opinion when you won’t be able to find a PS5 at the market price in November due to global sold out and shortage.

I never buy consoles before at least year on the market, lackluster library, potential HW issues, high price for both the machine and games/peripherals. Two years after launch is the sweet spot for me; better deals on hardware, lots more games and most issues are sorted through updates and fixes.

mZuzek said:
d21lewis said:

When you have to tell your kid that they aren't getting the one thing they want for Christmas because it's sold out, you'll understand.

Don't worry, as a kid it never even crossed my mind to ask my parents for a newly released console for Christmas, because even at that age I wasn't tactless enough to ask for such an expensive gift.

But as a parent, you never forget moments like this: https://youtu.be/pFlcqWQVVuU

Create as many of those as possible.

DPsx7 said:
estebxx said:

Well i will share mine then.

I have a PS4 launch unit and to this day (and hopefully for the rest of my life) it works perfectly, i did however had some "incidents" that i will list down:

- One day (perhaps on year 3) the PS4 decided to completely at random eject any disc i put into it, so i did a complete reset of the system and it solved the problem, this did happen again months later which i solved the same way but after that it never happened again (don't know why that even was a thing).

-  My PS4 would turn itself on randomly in the middle of the night, and i'm not talking about leaving it on rest mode only to see it resume hours later... i'm talking completely turned off and randomly turning itself on which happened like 4 times, this was a problem that just fixed itself as randomly as it appeared.

Mine's done the disc thing. It was dust in the gap around the buttons. Use some canned air or a toothbrush. Not sure why a reset would fix it but then again dust you'd think would be consistent, not random.

I always clean the dust in the house every saturday (it's been like this for years including back then), and yeah i clean the consoles as well, the reason i did the reset thing was because that's the Solution i came across on the internet, and it worked for me.

Around the Network

I get that early adopters are pretty much "beta testers" but there's just something about getting something new while it's still new playing that new game while it's still on everyone's tongue.

It's like watching a movie in theaters. Yeah, you can watch it later and it'll still be good, but you want to be apart of the initial wave. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. And there's nothing wrong with waiting.

DPsx7 said:
estebxx said:

I always clean the dust in the house every saturday (it's been like this for years including back then), and yeah i clean the consoles as well, the reason i did the reset thing was because that's the Solution i came across on the internet, and it worked for me.

I don't have a schedule or anything, sometimes it works its way into areas you don't touch often. Can't argue with results, I just wonder what would cause it that could be fixed with a reset unless it's just coincidence. Maybe slight static build up? My PS4 is on a strip which gets flipped off at night so it never has a chance to turn itself on.

Yeah, i got no idea either how it worked with a reset if it was dust that was causing the problem, but well thankfully it hasn't happened again.

Uh.. No, i don't think i can pre-order PS5 yet, because it could be immature console at launch for backward compatible support and the launch titles are also could be not "must buy" for me.

I'll keep focusing on my PS4 Pro and play 24 games(maximum collection).

DPsx7 said:
mjk45 said:

Spray Paint and masking tape are cheap

Enh, I dunno. While I've seen nice custom work in the past I think it's tough to get a job that looks authentic. Even then, paint or a skin won't fix the 'popped collar' look.

I was having fun imagining someone showing off  a youtube clip of a brand new badly sprayed black PS5 with countless drip lines, that are extolled as being an artistic representation of sweat pouring from the PS5's brow thus emphasising the work being done under the hood.

for ridding oneself of the popped collar look I recommend the use of an angle grinder.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I'm a bit concerned about the colour too. I think I might regret picking up the first version finding out later that an all black will be out.

But we can always trade it for a new model later on tho.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?