By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are you pre-ordering PS5 on August 6th ? (Rumored SoP date)

No. Launch units have a lot of issues and best to wait a year or two for them to work out the kinks and more games come out.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

mZuzek said:
JapaneseGamesLover said:

Most anticipated game console of the last 10 years is coming this November.

lol

At the question, obviously not. Pre-ordering consoles is stupid.

It's not stupid. Millions pre order consoles and games for multiple reasons and they get to be satisfied. Sometimes it's worth it due to one single release. Besides pre-ordering is the best way to make sure you get availability when it's out.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Leynos said:
No. Launch units have a lot of issues and best to wait a year or two for them to work out the kinks and more games come out.

This is something that I've heard before but I've never seen any data. I've got no idea how many truly end up with a faulty device. It'd be nice to hear some past experiences about that in a community like VGC.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

I was lucky enough to get a Switch on day one but I think scalping is worse than ever. I don't think I could get one if I wanted one. And right now, there isn't really that "killer app'' that makes me want one.

When I walk into a store and see one in the wild, I'll probably buy it though.

0D0 said:
Leynos said:

This is something that I've heard before but I've never seen any data. I've got no idea how many truly end up with a faulty device. It'd be nice to hear some past experiences about that in a community like VGC.

I know the Xbox 360 had issues (even two years later!) and I've heard about issues with the PSP and dead pixels but I've been gaming since the 80s. I've gotten several systems on launch day and even more in the first year. Never had an issue aside from the 360 and that was after I had it for a year.

I did see a launch PS2 that was broken right out of the box but it wasn't mine. 

Around the Network

I really want to but... i just know im gonna regret it in about a year when they release an all black model or any other version of the console that i like more than the current one, i know its something superficial but it legit bothers me for some reason... then again if Demons Souls is a launch title would i be able to wait?... not really, ideal scenario for me would be to have a limited edition Demons Souls console that incorporates some of the darker and subdued colour tones of the game.

0D0 said:
Leynos said:

Well i will share mine then.

I have a PS4 launch unit and to this day (and hopefully for the rest of my life) it works perfectly, i did however had some "incidents" that i will list down:

- When i first got it and connected it to the tv it would not deliver an image to said TV, turns out the HDMI cable that came with the console was faulty so i replaced it.

- One day (perhaps on year 3) the PS4 decided to completely at random eject any disc i put into it, so i did a complete reset of the system and it solved the problem, this did happen again months later which i solved the same way but after that it never happened again (don't know why that even was a thing).

-  My PS4 would turn itself on randomly in the middle of the night, and i'm not talking about leaving it on rest mode only to see it resume hours later... i'm talking completely turned off and randomly turning itself on which happened like 4 times, this was a problem that just fixed itself as randomly as it appeared.

I know i just listed a bunch of "problems" but one of them was a faulty HDMI cable that came with the console and the other 2 seem to have been software problems were fixed with a firmware update, since i have never sent my PS4 to a repair shop or anything of the sort, it may also seem like a long list but it's really not... if you add those incidents together it acted weird a total of 6 times across 7 years, if it wasn't for me writing this to you i wouldn't think about problems related to my PS4 because 99,9% of the time it has worked flawlessly.

This is not to say with certainty that consoles are a safe bet at launch, much like you i would like to have a study or some form of data to judge how reliable it is to get a console on launch, it's entirely possible the reason it appears to be risky comes from a combination of things:

- having about a million people buy a console the same day.

- everyone being incredibly excited (early adopters).

- easy access to the internet to share their story.

Even if just 1% of those 1 million consoles is faulty, thats 10,000 bricked consoles and pissed off customers, and if just 1% of those are so pissed they decide to share the pictures and videos with the internet that's a hundred videos and pictures of bricked consoles which is enough to make a lengthy youtube video mocking the console release.

But then again it could just be that indeed it's far more risky to buy on launch day, which is the reason that much like you i would want some form of study or hard data to judge how risky it really is.

Nopes, not getting any consoles at launch this time. May not get any at all. I don’t game much anymore. However, after the Xbox show I am leaning slightly more that direction right now... but again, not getting anything at launch...

DPsx7 said:
Probably not, we'll see. R&C would be one I have to play so I'll need the PS5 at some point. I got my PS4 way earlier than needed because I managed to save up enough gift cards from surveys to pay little out of pocket. Same thing could happen here. In no rush because of the backlog now and I'm kinda hoping we see some different colors besides white.

Spray Paint and masking tape are cheap

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mZuzek said:
0D0 said:

It's not stupid. Millions pre order consoles and games for multiple reasons and they get to be satisfied. Sometimes it's worth it due to one single release. Besides pre-ordering is the best way to make sure you get availability when it's out.

Just because a lot of people do it doesn't mean it's not stupid. I think pre-ordering in general is stupid, but when it comes to consoles, it's especially silly given that consoles tend to have issues at launch, it's happened before with a lot of consoles and it will happen again.

When you have to tell your kid that they aren't getting the one thing they want for Christmas because it's sold out, you'll understand.