By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Cloud Gaming eventually replace Console Gaming in the future?

Will Cloud Gaming eventually replace Console Gaming in the future?

Yes 18 54.55%

No 15 45.45%

Total:33
Ka-pi96 said:
Azzanation said:

Yes, regardless if that's what we want, we have to think realistically here.

1) File size for games are only going to continue to grow

2) The cost of Hard drives (SSDs) on both the company and the customers is excessive

3) Streaming is already a thing that by-passes SSD space and game download times

4) Its cheaper for corporations to offer a Streaming Box than to offer hardware (Sold at a loss)

5) Internet is only improving, more and more people will get better speeds in time.

6) Companies wont need to sell their games at retail, pushing away the cut that retails take from overall game sales

7) It pushing gamer's to go full digital and use the console's eco-systems which leads to better overall profits.

8) No need to upgrade hardware for new media.

NOTE: I prefer physical media and to download my games digital, however that's the ways of the past which is unfortunate. Just like the movie business, services like Netflix has made physical media rather pointless now.

Yet, last I checked DVD players are still made and sold.

Yeah.. and whats your point?

Around the Network

There is this pesky little thing called physics. Streaming is constrained by the speed of light through fibre optic cable.
Plus latency is only half of the picture, internet jitter and congestion is another big issue for stability.

Then you have VR which will become bigger as headsets and hardware improve. However VR doesn't tolerate any latency.

I'm sure game streaming will get back at some point, but just like mobile gaming, it won't replace dedicated local hardware. Especially now the 'core' games are demanding higher fps, latency only becomes a bigger issue. There's not much point going to 60 or 120 fps when the fastest ping time still adds 16 ms. Same for picture quality. The debate over native 4K becomes pretty pointless when compressing the picture down to 30 mbps.

Unfortunately streaming has a chance to make console gaming more expensive by shrinking the market for dedicated hardware.

Ka-pi96 said:
Azzanation said:

That if streaming wasn't able to kill off physical hardware in an industry where connection speeds aren't as important as gaming, then why would it be able to do it in gaming?

Options, just because they continue to make something doesn't mean its being super successful. Majority of people don't buy DvDs anymore if they have services like Netflix etc. DvD movies and media for games wont disappear over night either. The older generation of people will continue to buy DvDs and physical media as they are still around, like myself, however a new generation will look at it as a waste of money and that's the trend we are currently at. 5 to 10 years down the road will continue to phase it out. DvD players will eventually stop being manufactured, if they haven't already.

Ka-pi96 said:
Azzanation said:

That if streaming wasn't able to kill off physical hardware in an industry where connection speeds aren't as important as gaming, then why would it be able to do it in gaming?

I mean...physical movies may not be dead in that they've ceased to exist, but they've absolutely been replaced as the primary method of viewing content.

In 2005, DVDs generated $16.3 billion in sales, accounting for 64% of the home video market. In 2018, disc sales barely passed $4 billion, or just above 17% of total U.S home entertainment spending. I don't know what those splits look like today, in 2020, but we can safely assume that physical media is only going to continue to decline, until probably leveling out at some rather insignificant percentage.

With enough time, probably. Though I'd assume that the consoles are dead long before that for other reasons.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

No. If there was any signs of cloud gaming doing anything, we'd already see games being made and becoming successful where lag isn't game breaking ie turnbased RPGs.

Even if lag can go down to zero 90% of the time, that 10% is annoying enough to be game breaking.

Streaming a game is and will continue to be the equivalent of watching a CAM of a newly released film.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Unless the majority of console gamers have unlimited internet and 99.9% stable and fast connections, nope. And even then you can't beat the inherent issue being latency

I can't see it becoming the norm even in two generations time. Music and video requirements for streaming aren't nearly as much to get a good experience. It'll be long long while yet, if ever.

I think Microsoft has the best odds of creating the Netflix of gaming, they have the right service with Game Pass, combining it with xCloud is going to eventually become something a lot of people can't ignore.

Also the people that will decide this are not gamers of today. The people who are 16-40 years old are rooted in the old ways of doing things, kids who are just being born now or are 3-10 years old (the future of the industry) who grow up with streaming as an option from day 1 I don't think will be as hung up on the limitations.

Perhaps. I think dedicated consoles from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft will be dead before cloud streaming is the big mainstream option. I think games will transition from dedicated hardware to digital distribution/cloud gaming only on computers, smartphones, and the like sooner than some people think.
I say that console gaming will die out in the mid to late 2030s. I know some people say that's radical, but that's where the industry is heading. We probably won't even get a new platform in the 2030s from a company at all, unless it's Switch 3 in 2030-2031.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

It will become the mainstream way of playing games at some point in the future.

However,Consoles and Physical/Digital Games will still be around for the core gaming audience, who demand a better experience. It will come at a price though, to get that high end Console + Physical/Digital experience.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL