By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Sony will respond Game Pass?

DPsx7 said:
kazuyamishima said:
The real question is:

Why Sony has to respond to Gamepass??

I was just about to write the same thing. Sony has everything in a good spot right now and I'm sure they'll think of the PS3 launch before trying to get too crazy again. They don't HAVE to copy everything the competition does.

That’s a interesting take. Given all the games we will see tomorrow 1st party, the value proposition of GP is staggering. $120-180 (GPU)  a year for all you can play, never mind the 3rd party offerings and I could in theory save hundreds a year if you and me were to play the same # of games.

To argue against Game Pass is to advocate spending more money with games now being $70 next gen likely. If I play 20 games in 2021 for $180 you would pay $800-1400 to play the same number (assuming many games aren’t full price or smaller titles). Either that or you play less games a year then me to save money.

So it’s hard to understand why you wouldn’t want Sony to emulate what is a very consumer friendly service. Genuinely curious as to what your perspective is. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

I'm a little surprised. I've seen PS Now commercials on TV. I've never seen an Xbox Gamepass commercial. No idea how Gamepass has so many subscribers in comparison.

d21lewis said:
I'm a little surprised. I've seen PS Now commercials on TV. I've never seen an Xbox Gamepass commercial. No idea how Gamepass has so many subscribers in comparison.

$1 deals and discounts. Who knows how many of those members are still active and continued after those deals ended, and I doubt we'll ever know. But, they did pay something, so are included.

Sony only ever does a week trial of Now. And ever since they dropped the price, their numbers have been going up. I think it's easy to say Sony has made more money from Now.

DPsx7 said:
sales2099 said:

That’s a interesting take. Given all the games we will see tomorrow 1st party, the value proposition of GP is staggering. $120-180 (GPU)  a year for all you can play, never mind the 3rd party offerings and I could in theory save hundreds a year if you and me were to play the same # of games.

To argue against Game Pass is to advocate spending more money with games now being $70 next gen likely. If I play 20 games in 2021 for $180 you would pay $800-1400 to play the same number (assuming many games aren’t full price or smaller titles). Either that or you play less games a year then me to save money.

So it’s hard to understand why you wouldn’t want Sony to emulate what is a very consumer friendly service. Genuinely curious as to what your perspective is. 

Pssh, not even. This assumes you buy everything day 1 and new. My backlog keeps me busy until the latest games drop in price. Typically spend closer to $30 on retail games and up to $40 for the limited release kind of stuff. But you also have to consider that at the end I'll have something to show for it. Any kind of digital service means you need to keep paying or lose it all. That kind of plan doesn't work for me. Smart shopping means physical is cheaper in the long run and I won't be held hostage to needing an internet connection to play anything. I don't have a PC nor have to share a TV. And since I kept all my old games it's not like I need to repurchase them through a digital BC service.

Well 3rd party games, the big ones especially, come out months after launch onto GP so it’s a similar situation. However I have the luxury of playing Xbox first party day 1 where you would have to wait or bite the bullet and pay in full if the hype is too much. 

It’s not either or, as in I can buy the games before they leave the service. 1st party games don’t leave at all. I can easily have the option to buy and collect what I see fit. 

I respect your position but all I have to do is beat 3 full priced games to break even. Everything after that is a bonus. Last year I played 20 games on GP, it’s essentially legal theft with the money I saved. I dunno given that it’s hard to see it in any sort of negative light.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

DPsx7 said:
sales2099 said:

Well 3rd party games, the big ones especially, come out months after launch onto GP so it’s a similar situation. However I have the luxury of playing Xbox first party day 1 where you would have to wait or bite the bullet and pay in full if the hype is too much. 

It’s not either or, as in I can buy the games before they leave the service. 1st party games don’t leave at all. I can easily have the option to buy and collect what I see fit. 

I respect your position but all I have to do is beat 3 full priced games to break even. Everything after that is a bonus. Last year I played 20 games on GP, it’s essentially legal theft with the money I saved. I dunno given that it’s hard to see it in any sort of negative light.

Hype isn't a problem. I always wait. For example I still haven't played RDR2 or even have copies of Doom Eternal, Last of Us 2, or FF7 to name a few. I get the risk of spoilers goes up but that hasn't bothered me in the past. It's more about the gameplay. And if I did want to try a certain game online, usually the community is gone by the time I get there. Whatever. Doesn't happen all the time.

People like me are the exception. Most play a few games a year so it's ok to buy at launch and they won't care if that copy works a year from now. Back when I didn't have this pile of games I often went back to my retro collection during the summer. I'd like to find time to replay some faves. Having that ability is nice. Then like I said before physical is often cheaper in the long run. Digital hardly drops in price. Streaming means you're locked into payments whether you use it or not.

I've already finished 31 games this year alone according to my trophy card. Not all large games though.

Fair enough. You did acknowledge you are more of the exception. I’m thinking of the larger picture. Millions on both sides who are governed by hype, buy new/fairly new, and play multiple current games per year. I myself don’t play a lot of new games...hence my excitement when RDR2 hit Game Pass and I’m currently getting my money’s worth playing it. 

So going back to the OP, Sony would have to seriously increase the value aspect to truly respond. As of now, it’s just there but not yet a “must have”. 

Around the Network

How will Sony respond?  Wait and see.  That is what they do with every new thing that comes along.  If it gains traction then they make their own version.  Microsoft offers a paid internet service, and a few years later Sony develops their own.  Nintendo develops motion controls and a few years later Sony develops their own.  That is basically what they've done with every new innovation that comes along in gaming.  It has served them pretty well so far.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

How will Sony respond?  Wait and see.  That is what they do with every new thing that comes along.  If it gains traction then they make their own version.  Microsoft offers a paid internet service, and a few years later Sony develops their own.  Nintendo develops motion controls and a few years later Sony develops their own.  That is basically what they've done with every new innovation that comes along in gaming.  It has served them pretty well so far.

Careful. While you are speaking the truth, there are a lot of people on here that resent the idea of Sony copying anything that their competitors do. :P

You can see a lot of people took offense to the topic of this thread as a whole. So many sarcastic, douchey responses because someone asked a question about how Sony will respond to something. Some people try and act as though Sony doesn't or shouldn't even care what their competition is doing, disregarding the fact that they are a for-profit business (not different from Nintendo or Microsoft in that sense), and absolutely are concerned about what their competition does, as it affects their bottom line. Sony is not a person, but a company, and as such, there is no moral compass to prevent them from doing something that you would hate any individual for doing.

RaptorChrist said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Careful. While you are speaking the truth, there are a lot of people on here that resent the idea of Sony copying anything that their competitors do. :P

You can see a lot of people took offense to the topic of this thread as a whole. So many sarcastic, douchey responses because someone asked a question about how Sony will respond to something. Some people try and act as though Sony doesn't or shouldn't even care what their competition is doing, disregarding the fact that they are a for-profit business (not different from Nintendo or Microsoft in that sense), and absolutely are concerned about what their competition does, as it affects their bottom line. Sony is not a person, but a company, and as such, there is no moral compass to prevent them from doing something that you would hate any individual for doing.

It's just smart strategy to wait and see what happens.  Let Microsoft and Google spend all of the time and effort to work out the kinks and then copy the new business model if necessary.

What do I care if Sony copies a business model?  I'm not a gamer because of a business model.  I'm a gamer because of the games.  The problem with Microsoft changing their business model is that Sony can change too, and then they will still have better games.  If Microsoft really wants to challenge Sony, then they ought to try making better games (and more of them).  Gaming is about games.  Anyone who wants to be on top should focus on delivering the best games.

My fear is. Having gamepass is cheap. But what happens when all devs have their own gamepasses? Will we be paying $300 a month to have access to all games we want?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:

My fear is. Having gamepass is cheap. But what happens when all devs have their own gamepasses? Will we be paying $300 a month to have access to all games we want?

There's still the option of just buying the games you want and not subscribing. I had EA Access for a while and when the year was up, I cancelled. I bought a few of the games for more than the annual cost but at least they're mine forever.