Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's Your % Usage of Switch in Portable/TV Modes?

Amount of time using Switch in TV or Portable mode:

Nearly 100% Portable Mode 10 12.99%

75% Portable Mode, 25% TV Mode 19 24.68%

50% Handheld & TV Mode 13 16.88%

75% TV Mode, 25% Portable Mode 11 14.29%

Nearly 100% TV Mode 24 31.17%

Total:77
farlaff said:
Slownenberg said:
I picked nearly 100% portable but I live in a van and travel full time. I do have a tv tucked in here but rarely pull it out (usually just to occasionally play Ring Fit). Back when I lived in an apartment though I probably split my play roughly 50/50.

This is cool! :) Which country do you live/travel in?

USA. Mostly out west. Been on the road 10 months. In Astoria, Oregon today. Heading up to Washington state soon.

Around the Network

Docked 100%.

I'm somewhere between 50/50 and 75/25 handheld lead, but probably closer to the 75/25.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I haven't used Switch on TV in like 2 years. Always playying down in bed.

Poll indicates that there could be a big market for a Switch TV device that isn't portable. Interesting... But this is vgchartz where the numbers are skewed towards a strict gamer demographic.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Poll indicates that there could be a big market for a Switch TV device that isn't portable. Interesting... But this is vgchartz where the numbers are skewed towards a strict gamer demographic.

I don't think Nintendo's gonna be too bothered to check out the poll results from 70 something votes on a random forum.

Pemalite said:

I actually would like to see a Switch Home. Nintendo should have a full family of devices: Switch, Switch Lite, Switch Plus, and Switch Home. Switch and Switch Plus would no doubt sell the best, but I could see Switch Home putting up Switch Lite type numbers and gaining some new customers from people who don't want to feel like they are paying extra for hybrid portability when they only ever game in front of a tv. I think a $200 Switch Home would be a good diversifier for bringing in more customers. And the Switch Lite already abandons the "switch" concept so clearly Nintendo is fine having other versions that don't stick to the hybrid selling point.

If you can make about the same profit off a cheaper product (a Switch Home would likely be pretty cheap to make when you take out removable joycons, dock, joycon holder, touch screen, batteries) that is always preferable as then the customer can use the extra money to buy more games, generating more profit.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 24 July 2020

If a Switch Home had been available in 2017 I would've bought that instead of the hybrid version.
We already have a Switch variant for those who don't care about TV play, I'd say there's a place for a model for those who don't care about playing on the go. Without the screen or battery you could probably sell it at $200 USD with a healthy profit margin.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 July 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Pemalite said:

But is it surprising? Home console market was always bigger than handheld. I'm sure if they release a Switch Home this was going to sell fine, maybe about the same as Wii U as Switch Home at least would have games to play

curl-6 said:

If a Switch Home had been available in 2017 I would've bought that instead of the hybrid version.
We already have a Switch variant for those who don't care about TV play, I'd say there's a place for a model for those who don't care about playing on the go. Without the screen or battery you could probably sell it at $200 USD with a healthy profit margin.

Same. I would not have bought the dockable switch.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--