By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What brand was your first console?

I started gaming on...

Nintendo 47 47.00%

Playstation 11 11.00%

Xbox 0 0%

Sega 15 15.00%

Other 27 27.00%

Total:100

Technically it was the Atari 2600. Even back in 1984 they were already dusty beasts that looked like they had been handed down for generations. I loved Donkey Kong Jr, Combat, Pitfall 2, Pacman, Kangaroo, etc.

But the first console I bought and the first console I truly sunk time into was the NES. I bought the Deluxe set with Gyromite and Duckhunt with my own hard earned cash. I made a quarter an hour working for my dad and at 10 years old I felt pretty proud of myself bringing it home. My dad made me read the entire owner's manual before I was even able to turn it on. That is some serious torture, and honestly didn't help me one bit. My parents were always taking away the power adapter when we got in trouble or played too long. The late nights of playing Metroid at 2am on a little black and white tv in my bedroom and hoping my parents didn't wake up and catch me were some of the most intense of my childhood and only enhanced the fear aspect of the game.

Around the Network

Commodore 64 and Philips Videopac G7000

super_etecoon said:
Technically it was the Atari 2600. Even back in 1984 they were already dusty beasts that looked like they had been handed down for generations. I loved Donkey Kong Jr, Combat, Pitfall 2, Pacman, Kangaroo, etc.

But the first console I bought and the first console I truly sunk time into was the NES. I bought the Deluxe set with Gyromite and Duckhunt with my own hard earned cash. I made a quarter an hour working for my dad and at 10 years old I felt pretty proud of myself bringing it home. My dad made me read the entire owner's manual before I was even able to turn it on. That is some serious torture, and honestly didn't help me one bit. My parents were always taking away the power adapter when we got in trouble or played too long. The late nights of playing Metroid at 2am on a little black and white tv in my bedroom and hoping my parents didn't wake up and catch me were some of the most intense of my childhood and only enhanced the fear aspect of the game.

I used to do that too; my parents only let me play video games between 4pm-6pm Fridays and before 10am on Saturday and Sunday mornings, so I used to play it when they went to the shops or in the dead of the night when they were asleep haha, and man did I get good at quickly shutting it off and jumping into bed if I heard them coming!

I started with Nintendo on the Gamecube 2005.

I think I played the Colecovision first (Donkey Kong) at a friend's house, then NES (Super Mario Bros) and Master System (Alex Kidd) at another friend's house but my first console I owned was the NES.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 22 July 2020

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
DPsx7 said:
Mandalore76 said:

General Consumer Electronics made the Vectrex in 1982.  They were acquired by Milton Bradley in 1983.  The Vectrex was officially discontinued after Hasbro acquired Milton Bradley in 1984.  I never had a Vectrex, but have always wanted to add one to my collection (and play) at some point.

I've only ever seen one in person and it was priced too high. Not sure how fragile it is either, it's not like an LCD that you can replace.

Yes, the price is what always dissuades me.  Even the original controllers by themselves fetch $200-$300 each.

No Atari option? Atari 2600 was my first console.

DPsx7 said:
Mandalore76 said:

Yes, the price is what always dissuades me.  Even the original controllers by themselves fetch $200-$300 each.

Was that before or after the retro boom? There aren't a ton of consoles I don't have yet but I always wanted to try a Master System and TG16. Those too shot up in price. Vectrex charges a premium because it's unique. The games too as I imagine it tough to find all the necessary overlays.

It depends on the game I'm sure.  I've seen loose carts, and loose carts with overlays listed for under $30.  There are also some CIB games listed for $40-$50.  Of course, there are rarer games as well that go for quite a bit more.  For hard to find overlays, you could always get a repro from an Etsy seller, if you wanted or needed to go that route.

Darc Requiem said:
No Atari option? Atari 2600 was my first console.

I didn't anticipate we'd have so many who started pre-NES or I would've included it instead of grouping them as "other".

Nintendo. The first console I played on was NES.

My blog: TsalagiDragon on Wordpress

My online store: Tsalagi Dreams 

My Twitter: @Scary4Eva