By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What brand was your first console?

I started gaming on...

Nintendo 47 47.00%

Playstation 11 11.00%

Xbox 0 0%

Sega 15 15.00%

Other 27 27.00%

Total:100
curl-6 said:
Shout out to the 9 voters who started off with Sega!

What brand did you guys switch to later?

I think i started with Sega Master System II then SNES, Philipps CDI and gameboy gameGear. After the N64 i played mainly on playstation (started with PS2) and still bought every Nintendo System. I had the dreamcast, and bought the first Xbox.

Around the Network
DPsx7 said:
AsGryffynn said:

Consoles does make me ask if the Commodore and Spectrum count though.

I'd say yeah. The hardware isn't technically a 'console' but if you're looking at it as a collection of games and that was their main purpose, why not count it. I have a C128 myself.

Then it'd be the Commodore 64 for me, followed by ZX Spectrum and a BBC Micro that were all hand me downs. 

Commodore 64

Hmm, pie.

Nintendo but my fav was Neo Geo, Then after N64 Nin became my NO 1

Besides consoles i also played floppydisks on an old pc that took forever to boot up,those times you actually got DOS for a while before windows loaded fully.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Shout out to the 9 voters who started off with Sega!

What brand did you guys switch to later?

Nintendo and I've stayed with them since. Started off Sega Master System and then moved to N64 - skipped the gen in between and chose to wait for it over getting a PS1.

Started off with good ol' Nintendo. My dad got my family the Super Mario Bros/Duckhunt bundled, and also the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game.

The ColecoVision by Coleco was my 1st console.  My 1st console by a brand that is still around today though, would be the Nintendo Entertainment System.  There are interesting connections between the two.  Both "Donkey Kong" and "Donkey Kong Jr." by Nintendo were released on the ColecoVision, and so it was through the ColecoVision that I was first introduced to Nintendo. 

"The ColecoVision hardware was the brainchild of Eric Bromley, a talented designer and engineer...  “It all began with a business trip to Kyoto,” recounts Bromley. He was in Japan to meet with Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi.  What followed is probably the most famous trip to a toilet in video game history.  “It turned out that the bathroom was on the floor above,” explains Bromley. ”I decided to find it alone and when I came out I passed an open door which displayed a familiar silhouette – the standard upright cabinet seen in all video game arcades. I turned on the light and there for the first time was Donkey Kong, complete with a picture of a gorilla on each side. I fell in love right there, no question.”  Bromley knew this title – which was hitherto unknown in the West – could be the game to propel his console into the public consciousness. Bromley knew this title – which was hitherto unknown in the West – could be the game to propel his console into the public consciousness. He also knew he had to act fast. “A meeting was arranged for the next day,” he reveals. “I said I wanted the rights to Donkey Kong. I didn’t want Atari to find out about this game. After a lengthy conversation Makihara-san told me Yamauchi-san wanted $200,000 advance and $2.00 per unit royalty.  “Upon my return to Tokyo, I called Arnold Greenberg from my room – I was shaking a little,” he admits. “It was about 4:00 AM in the morning and I got: ‘Whaaaaa? Do you know what time it is?’ I referred him to a conversation we had days before with marketing and sales; we all agreed we needed a really spectacular game to bundle with the ColecoVision console to create an impact. I then told him of the conditions: $200,000 advance and the $2.00 per unit royalty. I said: ‘I have found that game.’ To my surprise all he said: ‘is it really that good?’ I told him that it was as good as Pac-Man. He asked what it was called and I uttered ‘Donkey Kong.’ Silence. For the first time I realized how silly the name sounded. What seemed like an hour later he said: ‘OK. Let’s do it,’ and said he would wire over the money as soon as the banks opened that day.”  Bromley had just secured the home console rights to one of the hottest games of the ‘80s...  Released in August 1982 and bundled with Donkey Kong, the machine would find its way into half a million American homes by Christmas of that year; an incredible achievement in a market dominated by Atari."

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2010/09/feature_how_colecovision_became_the_king_of_kong#comments

And, it was the ColecoVision itself that would go on to have an impact on the development of Nintendo's own first console, the Famicom, which would go on to release the NES.

"During the Famicom’s development, Nintendo was sharply aware of one product in particular. This was the ColecoVision belonging to an American firm called Coleco.  Just before Nintendo started work on the Famicom, Coleco employees visited Nintendo with a prototype ColecoVision in tow. R&D2’s engineers were shocked at seeing smoothly animated graphics for the first time.  Takao Sawano (presently deputy section chief of Nintendo Entertainment Analysis & Development Division 1), a member of the development team and one of the people in charge of software development, brought the ColecoVision home and got his parents to play. Their response was overwhelmingly positive.  ...Uemura states that it was the ColecoVision that technologically spurred him and the ColecoVision he had in mind when considering the image of the product."

https://www.glitterberri.com/developer-interviews/how-the-famicom-was-born/deciding-on-the-specs/

Bofferbrauer2 said:

What company made the Vectrex again?

However, that would just be the first console. As for gaming, that started on a Commodore 64.

General Consumer Electronics made the Vectrex in 1982.  They were acquired by Milton Bradley in 1983.  The Vectrex was officially discontinued after Hasbro acquired Milton Bradley in 1984.  I never had a Vectrex, but have always wanted to add one to my collection (and play) at some point.

I started gaming with the N64.