By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New F-Zero Twitter Linked to Nintendo?

F-Zero GX is tied with Sonic Racing Transformed for my favourite racing game ever! I hope we see a new entry.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

I wonder who would be developing it because Nintendo has no idea how to make another F-Zero game. They believe that F-Zero X on the N64 is already perfect, that's why they asked Sega to develop GX and there were rumors that they talked wth Criterion, the guys behind Burnout, to make another one for the Wii U, but that project never saw the light of day. Shin'en is too small, but there are a lot of other studios with racing game experience.

On the topic of X vs GX, I prefer GX a tiny bit. Both are extremely great games, however.

Shaunodon said:

I already made a couple mentions of this in the Mario Kart thread, just before this twitter stuff was discovered, but I honestly believe they should reboot F-Zero as a year one title on their next system.

I'd rather Switch get a whole new and better Mario Kart, and then have F-Zero as an early featured title for the next system to help differentiate it. I'd still be happy to see F-Zero on Switch if that's the case though.

If this is a real official F-Zero account by Nintendo, then it's unlikely they'd begin marketing for a game not on Switch.

Switch already has Mario Kart. Zero need for another one.

Meanwhile Switch, Wii U, and Wii haven't had an Fzero. We need the first Fzero in 17 years a lot more than we need two Mario Karts on one system!

X was amazing for its time on N64, and I'm sure is probably still a great game to play. But GX, like Melee compared to original Smash, used the vast difference in power between GC and N64 to up the ante in pretty much every way.

X certainly has more nostalgia for me but GX is easily the better game.

mZuzek said:
Dulfite said:
I'd only want F Zero if it was very different from MK in the sense of non racing parts. I want a great story, with an open world you can drive around and complete quests in, with walking abilities as you shop and talk to NPC's out of ship. If it's literally just racing, then how will it be appealing to anyone other than nostalgia fans, if they can get that same experience on probably already purchased Mario Kart?

This isn't Xbox where a new racing game comes out every year and everyone's hyped. The racing market is dominated by MK. They have to differentiate if they are going to get customers like me to buy it and offer things MK doesn't have (A STORY).

Yes, because the gameplay of all racing games is the same experience.

Dude.

I mean... everyone wants F-Zero to be a more ambitious game with characters and maybe a story (though likely a half-assed one). But saying that if it doesn't have those things, it'd be the same experience as Mario Kart... yeah, dude, no. If the gameplay is different, the game is different. It's that simple. Saying it's the same as Mario Kart unless it does non-gameplay stuff differently is like saying Mario and Sonic are the same game. Just because games belong in the same genre doesn't mean they're the same experience.

Your in a vehicle that goes left, right, or forward. You hit things that give you boosts. You try to beat others by crossing the finish line while bumping into them along the way.

What, exactly, is different about that than MK? The fact that F Zero has no items, okay but that is having one LESS feature not one more so that isn't something to boast. The only things I can think that will be different is art style. Maybe I'm wrong, but I honestly can't think of other things?

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
You walk around a big world going wherever you like. You get items that give you power-ups and enhancements. You finish missions by talking to people and killing enemies.

What, exactly, is the difference between Zelda and GTA?

You have to understand, too, that Zelda and GTA are from two different developers/publishers.  They’re not even on the same system.

a similar Mario kart and FZ, from the same publisher, on the same system, during the same generation, is a little different.

mZuzek said:
Dulfite said:

Your in a vehicle that goes left, right, or forward. You hit things that give you boosts. You try to beat others by crossing the finish line while bumping into them along the way.

What, exactly, is different about that than MK? The fact that F Zero has no items, okay but that is having one LESS feature not one more so that isn't something to boast. The only things I can think that will be different is art style. Maybe I'm wrong, but I honestly can't think of other things?

You know, just stuff like... a different game engine, different controls, different feel, different mechanics, different physics, different stages? Different themes, different music, different sounds, different art style, just different aesthetic in general. Different game balance, different difficulty, different AI. Different multiplayer.

The moment your gameplay boils down to "it doesn't have items, which one less feature, so nothing to boast about" is the moment you basically state how little you understand (and likely, how little you care for) gameplay. Games aren't measured in how many individual features they have, they are made from the ground up with a gameplay concept in mind and if that concept is well executed and well balanced, it doesn't matter how many features it does or doesn't have. Even within the same genre. You can't measure them in absolutes like that, it's just silly. F-Zero and Mario Kart have a wholly different feel to them, both in aesthetics and in gameplay.

I mentioned art style as the main difference. How a game feels as I move left, right, or forward is extremely minimal. Music certainly, but I don't buy a game that plays very similarly to other games that also involve racing in said directions with similar controls just because it has good music. None of what you mentioned are what I'd consider features. Give me some specific features that distinguish it from other racing games and I'll be open minded to those. If it's just racing around tracks to win, that isn't innovative or unique to me, even if it has a different engine or art style or music or aesthetic.

And I don't need items, I just used that as an example. But thanks for insulting my understanding rudely even though I've been polite in my replies to you. There is a way to disagree with someone without degrading them.

If this is true, i wouldn't except much more then a reboot/remaster of sorts. Nintendo is not going to put a lot of money behind it and a reboot/remaster to see if the franchise is still viable is a decent test.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

And if anyone wants GTA on Switch there is Saints Row. The Third is a really fun game. Not the most polished but damn fun.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

DPsx7 said:
Dulfite said:

I mentioned art style as the main difference. How a game feels as I move left, right, or forward is extremely minimal. Music certainly, but I don't buy a game that plays very similarly to other games that also involve racing in said directions with similar controls just because it has good music. None of what you mentioned are what I'd consider features. Give me some specific features that distinguish it from other racing games and I'll be open minded to those. If it's just racing around tracks to win, that isn't innovative or unique to me, even if it has a different engine or art style or music or aesthetic.

And I don't need items, I just used that as an example. But thanks for insulting my understanding rudely even though I've been polite in my replies to you. There is a way to disagree with someone without degrading them.

Have you even played them? The fact you're asking us to explain why they're different, and implying there's something wrong with racing around a track to win, is mildly ridiculous. With that attitude I hope you never walk into an arcade.

Yes I've played them. Yes I've enjoyed them. And I never stated nor implied there is anything wrong with racing around a track to win. I just said I wanted something more than just that, for me personally.