By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google signs 5 studios to make exclusive Stadia games, including Supermassive and Harmonix

That cant be good for Robot Entertainment & Supermassive, can it?

*edit: That ll teach me to not read more than the first page...

shikamaru317 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Rip supermassive

Leynos said:
RIP to those studios then. This is just a fancy way to say they may as well not exist.

To clarify, these studios weren't acquired by Google, they just signed a deal with them to make some 2nd party exclusives for Stadia. Think of the situation like Asobo signing the deal with Microsoft to develop Flight Simulator, even though Asobo signed a deal with Microsoft for that game, they were still working on other games at the time like A Plague Tale. Another example would be Sumo signing the deal with Sony to develop the new Sackboy PS5 game, even though that game is PS5 exclusive, Sumo has many other teams and those other teams are free to do whatever they want, make 3rd party multiplat games, make 2nd party Microsoft games, etc. As far as we know currently, Supermassive can keep making their 3rd party multiplat Dark Pictures series for Namco Bandai, and the others can also still sign deals with other publishers if they have multiple teams.

So this shouldn't kill any of these studios, I'm sure that Google paid them pretty well. If their Stadia games flop, which they probably will, they were still well compensated and can go back to making 3rd party multiplat games in the future. 

So just 2nd party deals for next games... okay then, its not nearly as bad then.

This feels like a waste though, good games are gonna end up dying on Stadia.... unless they do ports to PS5/PS4/XB1/XSX+Y  lateron?

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
None of those are what I'd consider even mid tier, level alone high tier budget/quality producing studios. Let me know if they buy someone on WB, Insomniac, or RAREs level and that will get my attention.

Supermassive is probably the only one close.... but Robot Entertainment & Splash Damage, arn't bad either.
I'd def. call Supermassive mid tier and above though.

padib said:
Leynos said:

Oh, it is and always will be. It was worth scoffing at before release for its ridiculous concept alone. It deserves to fail and I will piss on its grave when it dies. Its very existence is anti-consumer and anti ownership. Google of all companies to trust with ownership. ROFL! The consumer should have 100% control of ownership. Not determined by the unseen faceless corp on the other side of the glass. Scoff scoff scoff at Stadia all day and night.

As they say, he who laughs last, laughs best.

I'm pretty confident Google will laugh their way to the bank when their platform gains momentum, while your empty laughter dies into echo a few years down the line.

That would be a sad outcome.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
padib said:

I'm pretty confident Google will laugh their way to the bank when their platform gains momentum, while your empty laughter dies into echo a few years down the line.

That would be a sad outcome.

It very much would be, but that's normies for you, they don't care about our experience, just whatever they can play for an hr of 5-15 mins, then watching the telly or gossiping on facebook, etc. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Honestly, too little, too late. Also, I sense a "Capcom Five" vive from this.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
padib said:
Leynos said:

Oh, it is and always will be. It was worth scoffing at before release for its ridiculous concept alone. It deserves to fail and I will piss on its grave when it dies. Its very existence is anti-consumer and anti ownership. Google of all companies to trust with ownership. ROFL! The consumer should have 100% control of ownership. Not determined by the unseen faceless corp on the other side of the glass. Scoff scoff scoff at Stadia all day and night.

Edit: I'm not saying I'm for it. I just don't think they should be counted off, they might surprise us ultimately. Again not that that's positive or negative, but it's my premonition.

Stadia will be dead ina  couple years. It's google after all.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

You know, I actually hope Stadia succeeds. I am no longer a hardcore gamer or care about having the latest tech. But I do want to play new games every now and then. I also believe in buying a personal laptop with decent specs that last me 10 years. Typically these type of computers can no longer play the latest games by like year 4. Stadia succeeding would be huge win for us non-tech consumers who still wish to enjoy good games every now and then.

And they're taking steps now? Stadia has been flailing and barely bobbing its head above water since launch and there are still huge technical issues besides the lack of proper software. There's also the whole concern revolving around pricing and ownership over regular business models. Stadia has many problems to address, and if they acquire studios or enlist studios' aid today, we're still a long way off actual games from them. Another two years with basically no incentive to purchase? What product has ever survived such a thing.

shikamaru317 said:
Soonerman said:
You know, I actually hope Stadia succeeds. I am no longer a hardcore gamer or care about having the latest tech. But I do want to play new games every now and then. I also believe in buying a personal laptop with decent specs that last me 10 years. Typically these type of computers can no longer play the latest games by like year 4. Stadia succeeding would be huge win for us non-tech consumers who still wish to enjoy good games every now and then.

You’d be better off supporting Microsoft’s upcoming xCloud than Googles Stadia. xCloud is better for several reasons: 

-Microsoft doesn’t see it as a replacement for console/PC unlike Google, just a compliment to them.

-Microsoft already has a large 1st party set up, google doesn’t

-Early tests suggest xCloud will have lower latency than Stadia

-Larger playerbase for multiplayer games.

I believe Xcloud aims for better performance and library than PSNow, but since it haven't release yet and as a subs that you don't need to buy games if he wants he can start trying PSNow to see how he likes what streaming have to offer now while we wait to see how Xcloud turns out. And sure don't go to Stadia (unfortunatelly the good version of Stadia, I think it was AMD, got shot down with several devs getting out after beta).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

derpysquirtle64 said:

Poor these studios, they are in for some hard time.

Trunkin said:
I gotta say I really don't like the idea of games being locked to a streaming platform. The experience is always going to be inferior to playing on local hardware. I'd honestly rather have always online drm.

I guess something like Until Dawn would work fine, though.

The bigger problem is not the inferior experience, the bigger problem is that if Stadia gets shut down at some point, all these games will be lost forever.

That is not necessarily the case. Exclusivity tends to matter less over time. Look at former exclusives like Ori, Wonderful 101, Horizon Zero Dawn, Cuphead or Octopath Traveler. So I don't expect these games staying exclusive forever. This also includes already existing Stadia exclusives like Gylt (which is a nice game that you should play once it comes to other platforms).

Last edited by Mnementh - on 16 July 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]