By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google signs 5 studios to make exclusive Stadia games, including Supermassive and Harmonix

DPsx7 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Because Google is notorious for killing projects that don't immediately bring results.

This. M$ has money too and watching them bring their exclusives to PC under the guise of being 'consumer friendly' tells me they kinda want out of the hardware business. Why waste the money if they can just let people build their own PC and sell games alone? Hardware isn't where the money is made anyhow. Then like I said before first impressions matter. After a couple years of 'meh' you're probably not going to get much attention when the established platforms are moving into a new gen. There's a lot of brand loyalty, people don't want to start over on their friends list, trops/achievements, libraries. Mobile and the Wii captured the casual crowd. Hardcore players will be willing to spend for the new toys. What niche does Stadia hope to find?

If anything it shows consoles are more important then ever. They are by far the leading cause of Game Pass subscriptions. It’s in their interest to double down on consoles. Enter Lockhart, a cheap digital console geared towards low barrier subscriptions. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
DPsx7 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Because Google is notorious for killing projects that don't immediately bring results.

This. M$ has money too and watching them bring their exclusives to PC under the guise of being 'consumer friendly' tells me they kinda want out of the hardware business. Why waste the money if they can just let people build their own PC and sell games alone? Hardware isn't where the money is made anyhow. Then like I said before first impressions matter. After a couple years of 'meh' you're probably not going to get much attention when the established platforms are moving into a new gen. There's a lot of brand loyalty, people don't want to start over on their friends list, trops/achievements, libraries. Mobile and the Wii captured the casual crowd. Hardcore players will be willing to spend for the new toys. What niche does Stadia hope to find?

For Nintendo perhaps it would make sense since they are big seller of their own sw and low for 3rd parties. But for MS sales of the platform, GP or similars brings a lot of royalties so even though MS may not care about how many consoles they sell they still care about how many sw is bought within their stores or platforms because of the royalty.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Darwinianevolution said:
Otter said:
Stadia is a long term investment, not sure why everyone is expecting it to sink or swim in the first year or 2. It has google money behind it and currently isn't trailing any streaming competition that would cause them to pull out.

Right now increasing their offerings and pricing is more important than exclusives

Context matters so Im curious what those other projects are? My immediate presuming is they were either dwarfed by more successful competitors or lacked commercial potential.

The streaming space is new & slow for everyone.

Otter said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Context matters so Im curious what those other projects are? My immediate presuming is they were either dwarfed by more successful competitors or lacked commercial potential.

https://killedbygoogle.com/

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Otter said:

Kind of what I expected, lots of meaningless software & projects where the commercial viability is of big question. The bigger commercial ones like Google Music lasted many years but were clearly being dwarfed by competitors (Spotify/Apple Music).

The whole gaming industry is growing and investing heavily in streaming, its essentially seen as the future. At this moment in time there are no clear front runners, so I wouldn't expect Google to pull out after a rough start since no one is doing much better & the potential is still untapped.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
shikamaru317 said:

You’d be better off supporting Microsoft’s upcoming xCloud than Googles Stadia. xCloud is better for several reasons: 

-Microsoft doesn’t see it as a replacement for console/PC unlike Google, just a compliment to them.

-Microsoft already has a large 1st party set up, google doesn’t

-Early tests suggest xCloud will have lower latency than Stadia

-Larger playerbase for multiplayer games.

Also in Xcloud you just pay a flat monthly fee rather than paying full price for each rental.

Well, if you want to own games you still have to pay the full price for them. The difference is that once you buy them you can run these games on local hardware anytime if you feel the need for that. 

Mnementh said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Poor these studios, they are in for some hard time.

The bigger problem is not the inferior experience, the bigger problem is that if Stadia gets shut down at some point, all these games will be lost forever.

That is not necessarily the case. Exclusivity tends to matter less over time. Look at former exclusives like Ori, Wonderful 101, Horizon Zero Dawn, Cuphead or Octopath Traveler. So I don't expect these games staying exclusive forever. This also includes already existing Stadia exclusives like Gylt (which is a nice game that you should play once it comes to other platforms).

I definitely hope this will continue to be the case. Not sure who in sane mind will sign for permanent Stadia exclusivity. It's just the waste of efforts. The platform has probably like less than 1% marketshare.

Otter said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Kind of what I expected, lots of meaningless software & projects where the commercial viability is of big question. The bigger commercial ones like Google Music lasted many years but were clearly being dwarfed by competitors (Spotify/Apple Music).

The whole gaming industry is growing and investing heavily in streaming, its essentially seen as the future. At this moment in time there are no clear front runners, so I wouldn't expect Google to pull out after a rough start since no one is doing much better & the potential is still untapped.

Something can't be the future if it's been around for 25 years and mostly failed for 25 years. The Stadia model already failed with Onlive. Stadia is failing. It;s not the future. It's a failed present.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Otter said:

Something can't be the future if it's been around for 25 years and mostly failed for 25 years. The Stadia model already failed with Onlive. Stadia is failing. It;s not the future. It's a failed present.

Thats like saying VR can't succeed in the future because of failed attempts like the virtual boy. Playstation VR has proven that not to be true and its of course only the beginning.

There's obviously a technological synergy which is required for streaming games to succeed, we're not there yet but we're in the early stages. Sony absorbed Onlives patents and Gaikai technology, MS has their service and the two are also collaborating together on Cloud gaming. Streaming isn't going anywhere no matter how much it might scare you. Stadia may not exist in a few years but its also clearly a project that Google will juggle for the medium term because the commercial potential is huge and requires time to exploit.  

People's dislike of streaming shouldn't obstruct their logic. When the time comes when the streaming experience matches physical hardware, it will be no different with what we're seeing now with the transition to digital.  

Otter said:
Leynos said:

when the streaming experience matches physical hardware,

Worst take ever. That is so laughable.

As for VR. It was a niche product 30 years ago and it's a niche product now.

Last edited by Leynos - on 16 July 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!