By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Xbox July Showcase 2020 thread

It's been a long time since I last posted in here but this time I though I would share my opinion.

For me it was a Solid 8 / 10 and here's why.

Yes the presentation was lacking in gameplay which is where it lost point for me.

That said, Diversity, quantity.
Those 2 words pretty much somes up the first 4 years of the xbox 360 life which was for me the golden years of Xbox in terms of games.
I really feel like the presentation of today depict a Microsoft that's as invested in Xbox as it was back then.

Halo, I don't get why some expected it to be some kind of graphic powerhouse.
It never was the point of halo. I don't even know how they would do that with the halo art style.
As for the gameplay I'm more than interested, feel much like the original trilogy with an open world twist.

Fable, yeah only a cgi teaser, but from Playground, I'm in.

Avowed, I want to know more, TES vibe for sure.

State of Decay 3, I liked the first, the second not so much.
I hope this new entry will be a little more like what I hoped the second would be.

Balan Wonderworld, Everwild, Warhamer. all interest me.

Best part I'll be playing those game for a fraction of the cost because they'll all be on GamePass.

Around the Network

What a colossal disappointment. Halo looked ugly, State of Decay is a sequel to two trash games, Forza is....another Forza, etc.

The thing is, if these exact trailers were shown at a Sony presentation I'd be cautiously optimistic becuase Sony has a history of delivering. Microsoft hasn't really done much of note in a decade or so. I was really hoping that this Xbox Games Showcase would inspire me to care again, but all it did was remind me how little I can trust Microsoft. The same tenuous grasp on exclusivity, the same bullshit 'world premiere' declarations, the same gameplay-free trailers. So many of these games have potential, but nothing in this presentation or Microsoft's past made me think for a second that any potential will be reached.

Like, Everwild? That looks gorgeous! Rare has a tonne of skill behind them....but the last good game they made was Banjo Tooie. Grounded looks fun, but with how little we saw it was basically Honey I Shrunk the Keeds meets fortnite - a cool idea, but not enough when I have my imagination to fill in the gaps. too many of these trailers were cinematic trailers with minimal or no gameplay. And when all I have to fill in the gaps is my memories of all the other Microsoft games that looked or sounded good but ended up trash...well, it doesn't bode well for 'the most powerful console'.

and that Halo demo? Ouch. Not a fan of Halo in the first place, but it looked less like a next gen tentpole release and more like a generic third party rerelease of an Xbox 360 game. I swear Halo 4 and Halo 5 looked better. The only thing good about Halo was the grappling hook....so I get to be batman with guns! Pew Pew!

Mr_Destiny said:
In conclusion, 60+fps graphics will never look as realistic as 30fps graphics.

Probably not on still images but in motion 60fps looks so much better even with worse graphics. It's worth the sacrifice for better gameplay experience.

DroidKnight said:
I've now had some time to go back and rewatch most of the show. I thought Halo looked good but there was some pop-ins I'm concerned about. I was hoping for more gameplay not trailers. Overall I started at a good solid 7.5/10, by the end I was left wanting more. I have to give this presentation a 6.8/10 not enough for a 7.

I've now had a chance to complete the entire show.  I rewatched some of the games on 4k and they did look great.  I'm revising my overall rating back up to a 7.2/10.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Only game that really interest me is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2. Always hoped this series would come to a console and now it finally is.

Around the Network

Again, i speak whit great respect for the xbox community... spoke with some friends, re-watch the trailer, I went to Resetera, Reddit, 4chan and .... I changed my mind, Halo Infite has some problems. The game that should be the flagship of the Xbox series X has visuals that disappoint, a game so big in the industry should be better polished at this time, a few months before launch ...

ArchangelMadzz said:
I didn't watch the showcase, for those that did how much Gameplay did we get in comparison to the PS5 event?

And were the trailers gameplay focused (Like Deathloop) or were they more sort of in engine pretty trailers like Horizon: Forbidden West?

Unfortunately it seems like Sony and MS are both in the same boat when it comes to showing off true next gen gameplay. So we looking at about an equal amount of gameplay in this show (maybe a tad more?) in comparison to the Sony show. Most of the other trailers were either in engine or pure cinematics.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
I didn't watch the showcase, for those that did how much Gameplay did we get in comparison to the PS5 event?

And were the trailers gameplay focused (Like Deathloop) or were they more sort of in engine pretty trailers like Horizon: Forbidden West?

Unfortunately it seems like Sony and MS are both in the same boat when it comes to showing off true next gen gameplay. So we looking at about an equal amount of gameplay in this show (maybe a tad more?) in comparison to the Sony show. Most of the other trailers were either in engine or pure cinematics.

We got the GT7 demo and the Ratchet and clank demo, 

I saw the Halo demo, was there another Demo in this conference?

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Well yeah,if the Halo game is loved enough by Halo fans then me not liking how it looks aint that important.

KiigelHeart said:
Mr_Destiny said:
In conclusion, 60+fps graphics will never look as realistic as 30fps graphics.

Probably not on still images but in motion 60fps looks so much better even with worse graphics. It's worth the sacrifice for better gameplay experience.

I totally agree, but great LoD for a 4K60 title becomes unimpressive LoD for a 1080p30-locked artifact-riddled livestream. In the bloodbath that is the next-gen console graphics war, that can make or break someone's purchase decision, or even their impression of the power gap between the new systems.