By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Xbox July Showcase 2020 thread

twintail said:
Shaunodon said:

What do you mean the presentation was bad? They showed games. They didn't start with some bizzarre self-aggrandising video of their own history, followed by footage for GTAV, they just showed games. It all flowed pretty fluently, with a few dev interviews in-between, really no different from the PlayStation showcase.

The biggest problem was the lack of gameplay. But obviously most of those games don't have the gameplay to show, so you can't show something you don't have.

The fact most of those interesting games are years away, is why I'm not interested in XSX right now and likely next year, just like PS5.

Whether those games had gameplay ready or not is not being questioned, because at the end of the day those game didn't have any.

If your criteria is just game announcements, then that's cool.

If your criteria is gamepass value, that's great.

I'm haven't been questioning your enjoyment of the event. I'm merely pointing that you shouldn't be vilifying ppl who didn't like the show just because you did.

Your comment wasn't "I didn't like it", your comment was "The presentation was bad." Stated as if it should be fact.

And if your criteria is gameplay, why is this so much worse than the PlayStation showcase? They main gameplay attraction was from R&C, which looked great, but that was it. Outside that, it was mostly just announcements, and a lot of good ones, like this showcase. R&C is also nowhere near a final build, so can be taken with a grain of salt.

Or was the PS showcase also bad by your standards?

Around the Network
I LOVE GIGGS said:
While it wasn't stunning looking, Halo didn't look current gen at all. This clear detailed looking draw distance can't be achieved using current gen consoles. People need to keep in mind that it is a fast paced open world shooter with many enemies on the screen. It is not supposed to be the "screen shot" game of any generation. Halo 4 was a technical masterpiece when it launched but it never was a game where you stop for a second and admire the graphics. It was the overall fluid package.

The biggest surprise for me today was State of Decay 3. We knew they were trying to push this franchise to be AAA but I never thought they would reach this level this fast. Extremely impressed by the trailer. I hope the game would come close to this quality.

I was hoping to see Splinter Cell or Ninja Gaiden.

I strongly disagree here. Halo of course is 60fps and has more happening on screen, but the "look" of it is a current gen game and not even one of the more impressive ones. There's one moment in the 8minute halo gameplay where the draw distances really catch my eye but the minute to minute gameplay looks surprising mediocre from a visual perspective. 

Last edited by Otter - on 23 July 2020

sales2099 said:
KLXVER said:

Dont want to stir up anything, but how is that trolling? Just seems like a comparison of the two new consoles games.

Anyway, if Xbox fans like the presentation, then thats all that matters I guess. I just dont think they convinced many others.

You think Avowed won’t convince people? That 100% falls outside what you would typically expect from Xbox. 

They would first need to show the game. I can get behind a CGI trailer, but any excitement towards Avowed is just due to the developer right? I mean what we saw was an extremely generic CGI representation of a western RPG. 

Otter said:
sales2099 said:

You think Avowed won’t convince people? That 100% falls outside what you would typically expect from Xbox. 

They would first need to show the game. I can get behind a CGI trailer, but any excitement towards Avowed is just due to the developer right? I mean what we saw was an extremely generic CGI representation of a western RPG. 

That’s a bit reductive. It’s essentially a Xbox exclusive of the next Skyrim with LOTR elements. No small premise, CGI or not. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Manlytears said:

with all due respect to the entire Xbox community. In view of the hype that existed behind this event and what Playstation demonstrated throughout the year ... the presentation was a 6-7, far from enough to make people change ships and go xbox, but enough to please Halo fans.

Halo looked beautiful in the 5 minutes of gameplay, but the rest ... kind of disappointing

Well, I have been leaning ps5, but this presentation has me leaning more Xbox right now... so at least in my case, it did enough for me to change ships...  I’m not buying a next gen console anytime soon though, so there is plenty of time for me to switch again.  It is the RPG’s that have me interested in Xbox.  

Around the Network
gergroy said:
Manlytears said:

with all due respect to the entire Xbox community. In view of the hype that existed behind this event and what Playstation demonstrated throughout the year ... the presentation was a 6-7, far from enough to make people change ships and go xbox, but enough to please Halo fans.

Halo looked beautiful in the 5 minutes of gameplay, but the rest ... kind of disappointing

Well, I have been leaning ps5, but this presentation has me leaning more Xbox right now... so at least in my case, it did enough for me to change ships...  I’m not buying a next gen console anytime soon though, so there is plenty of time for me to switch again.  It is the RPG’s that have me interested in Xbox.  

I was already leaning Xbox going in, but I was leaving the door open for holiday 2021 at the earliest if they could maybe have a couple huge games outside Halo (and exclusively next-gen) ready year one. This just confirmed a 2+ year wait minimum for either system.

A lot of time to see how they actually play out after launch, and re-assess the landscape when necessary. Also time to hopefully upgrade my PC.

I actually enjoyed the presentation although the games were visually underwhelming as they need to run on Xbox one.
I though we would see more footage of AAA third party games running on XSX even if it was only assassins creed and cyberpunk.
Loved the focus on 4k 60fps. Also I believe we were supposed to have something about the next call of duty right? I was expecting microsoft to use this presentation to show it.

I have mixed feelings about the presentation. Probably would rate it around 6 or 7/10. Still, in my opinion was a bit better than PS5 showing. But, given MS position, they should have been way better than Sony and not just equal. I wrote the detailed explanation of what I liked and what I didn't at XBE post here:
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9187672

Halo looks really fun, I actually might get it.

Graphically it looks decent considering they're targetting 4k 60fps.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'