By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer Says Xbox Series X Games Aren't Being Held Back By Xbox One

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

We will see soon enough. People are excited about the 23rd because they're expecting to see Halo show up as some next gen spectacle. I'm only listening to Phil here and I just don't see it happening. It will be a great game and it will be 4k, 120fps and/or have Ray Tracing. So there's that, but imo that doesn't make it a next gen game at all.

Of course developers are free to choose but in the end it's a business decision. There's a reason why nobody ever made an exclusive game for the RTX gpu's or for the mid-gen consoles. Financially it just doesn't make sense. I bet all the developers who are currently working on Series X games are making sure it runs on Xbox One and/or low-end pc specs first. Scorn is a next gen console exclusive but it will run fine on a 6-year-old GTX970 and even a GTX750 will be enough to run it, which is practically the same gpu that's in the ps4. Same thing with God Fall by the way. Not sure about the exact specs but it sure as hell doesn't look like a game that'll push the ps5 to its limits.

This all rings hollow when you’re also passing off cinematic footage of HFW as a true next gen leap because the underwater detail is like totally awesome. Basically ever since you started this crusade to constantly poop on next gen Xbox, whatever Sony does is right and great, whatever MS does is wrong and makes you mad. And if Sony does one of those wrong things then that’s ok, you’ll just flip flop.

We already saw it with what you qualify as a “true next gen” game. It was only a few months ago that you were trying to tell us that next gen games should be games designed to do things not possible on current gen. It wasn’t until people reminded you that PS4 had none of that for years and was chock full of cross gen games that you flip flopped to where “true next gen” just means better graphics we haven’t seen before. Cue your Horizon cinematic praise. Woah you can swim in the water. But it looks so good. 

By your own flip flopped definition, XSX should be fine. Who cares if the Xbone and XSX versions of Halo are designed the same, does the XSX version look way better? Well if HFW or Ratchet or GT7 are anything to go by, that qualifies as “true next gen” to you. But somehow for some reason you’re expecting more from MS. They’ve supposedly been poorly marketing next gen and lowering the bar and yet you somehow still expect them to blow you away on levels even Sony did not need to. Strange.

Basically one company showed a bunch of stuff that fundamentally looked like games we already play, but just look way better. But if another company does the same, it’s bad, because those games can also be played current gen. It’s fine logic I guess.

Look we went over this months ago. You might not think Infamous and Killzone were true next gen games but it's pointless to argue your or mine definition of what a true next gen game entails. People will use their own eyes and anyone who gave those games one look during the ps4 reveal could immediately tell it was a leap over anything we've seen before on ps3. Even if they turned out to glorified tech demos, they still got people excited for next gen and played a major marketing role for the ps4 early on.

Maybe you can convince yourself that Series X doesn't need exclusive launch games as the early wave of titles tend to suck. But I already said back then that the early games don't have to suck by default. What would happen if Sony didn't launch with a Killzone and Infamous but with a HZD and Spider Man instead? And guess what, that's exactly what's happening. I also said MS will have a hard time explaining the difference between their current- and next gen console with their consumer friendly strategy and that's exactly what happened in May.

Do I have psychic abilities? No, it's just a matter of listening to Phil and using common sense. I was also never a fan of the Killzone series but one thing is for sure, GG does know how to push amazing visuals and now they've struck gold with a new ip. It would be downright weird if HZW doesn't set a new benchmark in visuals and turns out to be a great game as well. You might say you don't care and that 2 years isn't that long, but lets be honest here. We would both love to see MS counter games like HZW, and whatever Sony will show in August, with their own Series X exclusives on the 23rd.

Unfortunately, pushing next gen visuals just isn't part of their strategy, pushing their services is. And like DonFerrari said, why would they focus on high-end pc's and Series X if they can build way more GP subscribers by not doing that? 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 11 July 2020

Around the Network

People are confused, that games at the befining of a gen tend to be crosgen is by choice of the companies. Not because they cant do the upgrades or knowledge of the hardware or what ever. But to sell their games to as many people as possible. Its usually up to the platform holder to sell their device and once the installbase is there devs choose to utilize the full capabilities of the hardware and drop the previous one. But third party's tend to care for profits first so they won't push for upgrades. So thouse games tend to not be the best possible. Thus wont sell the hardware as much cuz gamers have no reason to upgrade. So if MS does not push the hardware, giving the consumer a reason to upgrade, then they won't and therefore third party's will have to reason to also drop last gen if they wont make their money on the ip. So if the series x thanks to this "pro consumer" approach does not have any acceptable installbase after the promised 2 years then I do see this timelimit being extended.

Frankly I see these first couple of years the ps5 just runing away with the sales more than the ps4 did. If the gap grows bigger, which all signs point to it everywhere but the US, then I do see a lot of devs just making ps5 exclusives, therefore making the gap get bigger.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Nah, saying he doesn’t care if someone doesn’t have the money to upgrade consoles this year because of COVID doesn’t mean he doesn’t care about XSX sales. They have goals they want to meet. Surely you believe this.

And again, supporting older hardware during year one when the games are basically all cross gen or not utilizing the new hardware fully is not the same thing as supporting it in year five when everyone is pumping out amazing looking stuff.

Logic is so simple.

Again, reply to the question instead of tagent it.

Do older hardware hold back newer hardware? Yes or no. If No, why not support the X1 for the whole 9 gen?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

This all rings hollow when you’re also passing off cinematic footage of HFW as a true next gen leap because the underwater detail is like totally awesome. Basically ever since you started this crusade to constantly poop on next gen Xbox, whatever Sony does is right and great, whatever MS does is wrong and makes you mad. And if Sony does one of those wrong things then that’s ok, you’ll just flip flop.

We already saw it with what you qualify as a “true next gen” game. It was only a few months ago that you were trying to tell us that next gen games should be games designed to do things not possible on current gen. It wasn’t until people reminded you that PS4 had none of that for years and was chock full of cross gen games that you flip flopped to where “true next gen” just means better graphics we haven’t seen before. Cue your Horizon cinematic praise. Woah you can swim in the water. But it looks so good. 

By your own flip flopped definition, XSX should be fine. Who cares if the Xbone and XSX versions of Halo are designed the same, does the XSX version look way better? Well if HFW or Ratchet or GT7 are anything to go by, that qualifies as “true next gen” to you. But somehow for some reason you’re expecting more from MS. They’ve supposedly been poorly marketing next gen and lowering the bar and yet you somehow still expect them to blow you away on levels even Sony did not need to. Strange.

Basically one company showed a bunch of stuff that fundamentally looked like games we already play, but just look way better. But if another company does the same, it’s bad, because those games can also be played current gen. It’s fine logic I guess.

Look we went over this months ago. You might not think Infamous and Killzone were true next gen games but it's pointless to argue your or mine definition of what a true next gen game entails. People will use their own eyes and anyone who gave those games one look during the ps4 reveal could immediately tell it was a leap over anything we've seen before on ps3. Even if they turned out to glorified tech demos, they still got people excited for next gen and played a major marketing role for the ps4 early on.

Maybe you can convince yourself that Series X doesn't need exclusive launch games as the early wave of titles tend to suck. But I already said back then that the early games don't have to suck by default. What would happen if Sony didn't launch with a Killzone and Infamous but with a HZD and Spider Man instead? And guess what, that's exactly what's happening. I also said MS will have a hard time explaining the difference between their current- and next gen console with their consumer friendly strategy and that's exactly what happened in May.

Do I have psychic abilities? No, it's just a matter of listening to Phil and using common sense. I was also never a fan of the Killzone series but one thing is for sure, GG does know how to push amazing visuals and now they've struck gold with a new ip. It would be downright weird if HZW doesn't set a new benchmark in visuals and turns out to be a great game as well. You might say you don't care and that 2 years isn't that long, but lets be honest here. We would both love to see MS counter games like HZW, and whatever Sony will show in August, with their own Series X exclusives on the 23rd.

Unfortunately, pushing next gen visuals just isn't part of their strategy, pushing their services is. And like DonFerrari said, why would they focus on high-end pc's and Series X if they can build way more GP subscribers by not doing that? 

You can try to change history all you want but we all remember the thread. Yeah, graphically games like Killzone SF were obviously a step up from PS3. But you weren’t arguing that. You were arguing that games like Killzone and Infamous offered not only better graphics but also gameplay possibilities and design not possible on previous gen. It was only after numerous people proved you wrong (and you yourself did to when you linked to a DF Infamous article that literally said it was a PS3 game with increased visuals) that you flip flopped to saying gameplay doesn’t matter, what really matters are graphics. 

So again... what is the problem? Even the games MS showed in May were a clear jump visually. Are they as big a jump a MS’s own first party games? Judging by Hellblade and Halo, obviously not. You’re making this case for Sony being next gen but then not picking these irrelevant qualifications you think MS doesn’t abide by because you take interview quotes completely out of context of flat out lie about what they are saying. 

If you’re expecting incredible gameplay changes not possible on last gen, the Sony event and the MS May event showed you that you’ll be disappointed. But that’s console launches for you. Also, how are they going to increase GP subs by sticking to Xbone and low tier PC’s? The Scorpio is already discontinued. The S won’t be far behind. Again, why do you even bother talking Xbox? lol

DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Nah, saying he doesn’t care if someone doesn’t have the money to upgrade consoles this year because of COVID doesn’t mean he doesn’t care about XSX sales. They have goals they want to meet. Surely you believe this.

And again, supporting older hardware during year one when the games are basically all cross gen or not utilizing the new hardware fully is not the same thing as supporting it in year five when everyone is pumping out amazing looking stuff.

Logic is so simple.

Do older hardware hold back newer hardware? Yes or no. If No, why not support the X1 for the whole 9 gen?

I answered your question, just not in the way you’d hoped. Also, you should look up what tangent means so you don’t look silly using it incorrectly again.

Answer this question, do devs not utilize hardware better as the generations go on? Did PS4 peak with Knack and Killzone? Or did developers get better with the hardware and make games with better visuals? 

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

You can try to change history all you want but we all remember the thread. Yeah, graphically games like Killzone SF were obviously a step up from PS3. But you weren’t arguing that. You were arguing that games like Killzone and Infamous offered not only better graphics but also gameplay possibilities and design not possible on previous gen. It was only after numerous people proved you wrong (and you yourself did to when you linked to a DF Infamous article that literally said it was a PS3 game with increased visuals) that you flip flopped to saying gameplay doesn’t matter, what really matters are graphics. 

So again... what is the problem? Even the games MS showed in May were a clear jump visually. Are they as big a jump a MS’s own first party games? Judging by Hellblade and Halo, obviously not. You’re making this case for Sony being next gen but then not picking these irrelevant qualifications you think MS doesn’t abide by because you take interview quotes completely out of context of flat out lie about what they are saying. 

If you’re expecting incredible gameplay changes not possible on last gen, the Sony event and the MS May event showed you that you’ll be disappointed. But that’s console launches for you. Also, how are they going to increase GP subs by sticking to Xbone and low tier PC’s? The Scorpio is already discontinued. The S won’t be far behind. Again, why do you even bother talking Xbox? lol

DonFerrari said:

I answered your question, just not in the way you’d hoped. Also, you should look up what tangent means so you don’t look silly using it incorrectly again.

Answer this question, do devs not utilize hardware better as the generations go on? Did PS4 peak with Knack and Killzone? Or did developers get better with the hardware and make games with better visuals? 

No you didn't answer, you evaded. Because you do know that Phil isn't telling the truth. If older HW didn't hold back newer HW then you wouldn't even need minimum specs and a Pentium 2 would run games. And of course Phil doesn't define what is the "weak PC".

For all the scalability in the world there is still a limit on how much you can cut before it falls apart and also that base level needs to run every single function of the game (unless of course you make two very different versions like is the case of Fifa Legacy editions) so whatever you decide as minimun and how "loaded" it is makes the limit of what you better version will have.

Tools and engines improve during the gen. So when devs improve their tools the older HW suddenly becomes what hold down the newer HW?

You just couldn't reply with yes or no right? Or do you want to try again.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
goopy20 said:

There are definitely some exceptions like Shadow Hunter and BF3 where developers didn't compromise on the pc version. But generally speaking, aren't the pc games we play on high-end gpu's still designed around the limitations of the ps4/Xbox One hardware?

If by mean "designed around the limitations of PS4/Xbox One Hardware" as if Developers have settled on a formula that sells millions of copies of games? Then yes.

Not all games will benefit from faster storage... A 2D platformer like Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a prime example, the datasets can exist entirely within memory and just load the entire level.

Long install times will continue to exist as well, the SSD won't make much of a difference there, the hard drive wasn't the limiting factor on that front.

As for PC games, they are pushing new rendering effects like Ray Tracing, they aren't being held back by consoles to much.

goopy20 said:

SSD has been around for a long time on pc but I have never played a game with zero loading times. I also think that when next gen starts, we'll finally see what a RTX2080 can really do, besides just running current gen games in 4k and 120fps.

I have. There are plenty of PC games that don't have load times, some games may have an initial load and that is it... Diablo comes to mind.

Plus the PC is working with more memory... A Mid-range PC of today has more overall memory than the un-released next-gen consoles, it takes time to unpack and load that data in.

Yeah, it would be good to see what an RTX 2080 can do, the Xbox Series X might be the best representation of that, but in a few months the RTX 2080 is likely to be mid-range in capability, still impressive, but mid-range.

REDZONE said:

Yup Rachet and Clank streaming entire  worlds in an instant or are you telling me ps4 and Xbox one are able to do the same?

Plenty of games have you "teleporting" between different worlds/level sets in an instant.

Final Fantasy 8 on the Playstation 1 did it.

The transition from Oblivion to Shivering Isles did it.

If you have all the data necessary in memory, then you wouldn't even need to stream it.

What makes the Playstation 5 impressive and "different" in this regard is the sheer quality of the assets being employed, which is what makes it impossible on current consoles... But the idea of teleporting between different worlds and streaming that data in? That my dear watson has been around for decades.

goopy20 said:

Ray Tracing does look like a thing that could make the Series X version stand out from the Xone version. Not really sure to be honest as we've seen some pretty different results on the RTX games. Metro really makes good use of it while in other games it's just some extra reflections that aren't that noticeable. I would love to see Path tracing, though. That would truly be a game changer.

There are games on the Xbox One and Playstation 4 which use Global Illumination leveraging various Ray Tracing techniques to various extents.

Ray Tracing isn't a technique that has "popped up" overnight, but it seemsr everyone has latched onto the marketing buzzwords without understanding it's implications, it's been a path the entire industry has been heading towards for decades.

Towards the end of the 7th gen, developers would often do a GI path traced lighting pass and then bake that detailing into the game for very cheap. - But it also came with the caveat of not being real time.

REDZONE said:

You're not jumping in the same level though. It's a completely different world.As soon as you talk about omitting things you are talking about change game designs,so it's not the same game. The whole aspect of the game is jumping from one world to the next on the fly.So no it's not possible on current generation because of the SSD.

Please people go and listen to actual developers talk about the massive difference in designing a game for ssd vs hdd.

It is entirely possible.
You just can't stream as much data. - And as such, you need to give up something to ensure you can fit all the required data in working set memory, such as asset quality.

Over a period of 30 seconds a decent mechanical disk can transfer 3GB of data... Where-as the SSD can transfer 165GB of data...
That 3GB of data supplements the 5.5GB of working memory for a total of 8.5GB of total data over a 30 second time period.
If you can fit multiple worlds in that working memory set (Keep in mind entire worlds on the OG Xbox could fit in 64MB), then you can jump between levels without a single load.

Obviously you do need to give up something such as asset quality and number of *different* objects.

But it's always been possible, just not at that Playstation 5's level of visual fidelity, that is where it's ground breaking.

sales2099 said:

July 23 is about the games and new experiences. And no matter what you say I have no doubts that games like Halo Infinite or Hellblade 2 on Series X will look amazing. I will say as a Halo fan, we are far more concerned with the gameplay being good, less so the visuals. The Slipspace engine reveal trailer was enough to sell me on the graphics. 

Im just pointing out that MS can announce games that fall outside the cross gen window as well that Sony is ultimately in the exact same position at launch with those games I mentioned. We know of more games that are possible on PS4 then games that show a true generational leap. 

The rest is just you doing the same song and dance. It’s FUD and repetitive. 

We haven't seen what the Slipspace engine can fully deliver though.
Some of the lighting and DoF passes were impressive in the engine reveal, but then some aspects like the continued use of sprites stuck out like a sore thumb.

goopy20 said:

I know but its not just about the launch games. People tend to buy a new console based on the promise of what's to come. MS is promising no next gen exclusives for the coming 2 years...

Let's be honest though. Exclusives in the first 2 years of a consoles life cycle have never showcased what the hardware is fully capable of, that is something that tends towards the end of a generation.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 11 July 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Anyone who thinks gameplay is about to be held back by XB1 are admitting the industry is ripe for a bit of disruption.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

DonFerrari said:

No you didn't answer, you evaded. Because you do know that Phil isn't telling the truth. If older HW didn't hold back newer HW then you wouldn't even need minimum specs and a Pentium 2 would run games. And of course Phil doesn't define what is the "weak PC".

For all the scalability in the world there is still a limit on how much you can cut before it falls apart and also that base level needs to run every single function of the game (unless of course you make two very different versions like is the case of Fifa Legacy editions) so whatever you decide as minimun and how "loaded" it is makes the limit of what you better version will have.

Tools and engines improve during the gen. So when devs improve their tools the older HW suddenly becomes what hold down the newer HW?

No I can’t reply with a yes or no because I have common sense and know it’s not black and white. Hope that helps. Again, I answered your question, it just wasn’t the answer you are hoping for. 

So you understand that tools and engines improve as a generation goes on, so why can you not understand that a game being feasible for cross gen at the start of the gen might not be feasible years into the gen? It’s hilarious, you’re literally sitting there reaching the same conclusion I am but because you want to play console warz you can’t accept my answer as legit. Jeebus lol

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

No I can’t reply with a yes or no because I have common sense and know it’s not black and white. Hope that helps. Again, I answered your question, it just wasn’t the answer you are hoping for. 

So you understand that tools and engines improve as a generation goes on, so why can you not understand that a game being feasible for cross gen at the start of the gen might not be feasible years into the gen? It’s hilarious, you’re literally sitting there reaching the same conclusion I am but because you want to play console warz you can’t accept my answer as legit. Jeebus lol

You don't think being limited by 1/30th of the possible I/O speed or less doesn't have an effect on possible game design? Next-gen has the chance to start experimenting with that huge increase in I/O speed right from the get go, unless you still have to support HDDs.

1/30th is probably still underestimating it, my laptop has a 35x difference in sequential read speed between SSD and HDD, about a factor 200 to 800 difference in random read/write access. Up to 800 times faster! And that's a slower SSD than in the series X and faster HDD than the consoles have currently, and no HW compression benefits or direct into RAM loading.

Neglecting this massive advantage for 2 years or what it could open up in game play possibilities is a crime! Memory is not a limiting factor anymore to how big / complex / constantly evolving worlds can get. For example From dust without the small world limits. No more need for static environments.

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

Thanks for finally admitting that a weaker/older hardware holds down what is possible on newer hardware even if you had to be roundabout to protect Phil.