By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many units will Atari's new Atari VCS console sell in it's lifetime?

How many units will the Atari VCS sell?

Less than 1 Million 19 52.78%

1-10M 13 36.11%

11-25M 1 2.78%

25-45M 1 2.78%

45M-70M 0 0%

70-90M 0 0%

90-110M 0 0%

110-130M 0 0%

130-155M 0 0%

155M+ 2 5.56%

Total:36

1-10m

Around the Network

Less than a million. The price is far too steep for the specs. There doesn't seem to be much appeal at all in the software library either. It would be lucky to hit 500k lifetime sales.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

By the way... you can currently get the Atari Vault with 100 games for 99 cents:
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/atari-vault

So no need to wait until November to spend $400 for these gems.

Im sure they will manage to sell all of their 100 consoles.

between 13k-20k. They already have 12k backers,  a bunch of Youtubers will buy it to make videos on it. Some people that remember the Atari name will buy it plus some curious people and clueless grandmas.

Around the Network

When you say Atari, you do realise that Atari hasn't been around for 30 years or so?

At best this is a company that has licensed the Atari logo. Definitely wait to see reviews *before* you spend your money!

Who the hell pays that much money for such a seemingly trashy console?
Like Im sorry, Atari but your games are too old.

I feel the same way with NES games, too many of them are "non playable" basically by virtue of how old and bad they are, by todays standards.
(ei. Id rather be playing other things) (obviously theres a handfull of exceptions, that are still more than playable on the NES)

With atri, I cant think of 1 game, I'd want to play.
So it all comes down to them showing new 1st party games.... and if their anywhere near nintendo/xbox/playstation.
If their not, I dont expect alot of sales.

Wman1996 said:
Less than a million. The price is far too steep for the specs. There doesn't seem to be much appeal at all in the software library either. It would be lucky to hit 500k lifetime sales.

It would be lucky to sell 100k in total lifetime, imo.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 10 July 2020

OneTime said:
When you say Atari, you do realise that Atari hasn't been around for 30 years or so?

At best this is a company that has licensed the Atari logo. Definitely wait to see reviews *before* you spend your money!

It's actually a former french videogame company named Infogrames. They gained the rights to the name Atari as a byproduct when they bought Hasbro Interactive for the Microprose licenses. And since they lost Infogrames Europe to Bandai Namco shortly after, the path for a transition to the Atari name was clearly set.

Btw, The company went bankrupt in 2013 and lost many of its most iconic brands, like Star Control (Stardock), Total Annihilation (Wargaming), Test Drive, V-Rally (Big Ben Entertainment), Battlezone, Moonbase Commander (Rebellion Developments), and a hundred other IP to Humungous Inc.

Also, it looks like they want to move away from Game development and right into... gaming hotels. No, seriously!

Edit: On Topic:

I think it will sell a bit over a million, mainly from all those who want to play the old Atari games legally. But at $400, it's way to expensive for the hardware. At $200 the price could have been good considering what's in the box, but 400 is just way too much.

Had it an upcoming Renoir Ryzen 5 APU  and a real SSD (it's just using 32GB eMMC as internal storage, exactly the same as the Switch), the price would have been much more understandable and the whole system also usable for more stuff (like a home theater for instance with storage extensions or for indie games). But not like this.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 10 July 2020

I will be very surprised if it sells more than 1M. Not sure if its official, but its rumored at least to be 400 dollars. Which is just silly.

Their Indiegogo campaign lists 11,597 backers.  So, my guess is less than 12,000.