By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some TLOU2 Haters Are Nut Jobs CONFIRMED!

Speaking of expectations, I blame whoever in Naughty Dog and Druckmann for this PR nightmare that they are experiencing. Looking back at how they communicated with the fans about Joel and Ellie's involvement in this sequel was downright hilarious. From interviews to trailers, they just played fans so hard.

If you don't want anyone to have any expectations, should have started a new IP.

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
KratosLives said:

When i said act professional, i meant be a little civilized. Mindset is the most important thing going into the game, and if you watch how angry joe was behaving and talking through out, you can tell mentally he set himself up to not like the game. He did not give the game and abby a fair chance. I know this because i was exactly like joe when i first saw the leaks. I had to shut everything from my mind prior to release, try to forget what i know and and to remind myself the kindof world this game takes place is, the brutality and what theyre accustomed to, how the last game ended, and who joel really is and the things he has done that most fans probably aren't aware. I had to prepare myself mentally for it. If i had gone in that joel is a hero and such a great man, i probably would have been devastated. But if you keep an open mind knowing death awaits joel at any time and anything can happen, then you can deal with it better and move on, and allow the story to tell itself without your mind being stuck at a certain past unable to fully process and accept what comes after. If you think about it it can be argued the first game was darker. You had joel's daughter getting shot and killed right at the start, suicide, friends who died, the main characters escaped death narrowily, canibilism, and ellie almost got  sexually assaulted (many think it was implied, through davids actions). I honestly don't know what joe expected for the sequel, and for joel. They didn't just write him off like many haters think. The past segments of ellie and joel were done to great effect, and those quirky,funny,emotional moments between them were there. It served it's purpose right till the end which made ellie's story complete. Even abby's story chapters were done well, and if you managed to accept and mourn joel's death and keep playing, you would love the game by the end of it, like many people who do. It's just a shame with joe and others, that they just couldn't come to terms with certain aspects of the game. Joe also should have played the game on his own, instead of with his budies and critiquing. 

Spoiler!

Most people do not have a problem with Joel dieing but with the deliverance,the wrongdoings of Joel in the first game had build up and made you feel for the character that did it while the fireflies were never a perfect organisation and had testsubjects before that failed to deliver a cure(Ellie was not unique), so there was a deeper connection that made his choices more meaningfull for the player,and surely after the whole father/daughter buildup.

This absolutely had almost no buildup and there are so many coincidences and out of character things happening to even get to the point of the brutality that comes too early for letting it feel justified for the story,it felt like the game wanted to cover major plotpoints without much care how to get to them.At the end it was a simple revenge story written badly,even Stephen King his worst books stand miles above what this was imo.

I do not applaud this just being shocking and daring while it comes of as uninspiring and lazy,the only positive about the writing for me personally is that while i disliked most characters by the end i finally started to feel something for Abby and i'm happy she got away cause what would be left without that? Just the terrible Ellie and nothing to return to.

Spoiler!
Joel has done terrible acts of the past, killed innocent,  that he is ashamed off. And the end of the first game didn't resonate well with everyone. And nothing was justified for joel commiting such acts at the end. He did not have to brutally kill everyone. But i guess since the game shows that murder and death is a common thing without much hesitation,  there could be some people who didn;t feel anything by joels actions and the only thing on their mind is ellie and joel. Joel kiling the surgeon was a grave mistake, maybe blame it on the writers, even the death of marlene could be questioned.  I saw no laziness in the writing at all. They had to tie the sequel to the first, and show that actions have consequences. And people expecting joel and ellie to have another duo adventure are kidding themselves and don't truly understand the world of "the last of us". 

Also people act like the first game had no issues, pacing problems.  If i was to nit pick, i can find things wrong with the game. I have been playing the first remastered aswell, and for someone reason find it hard adjusting to the old game. Maybe i should just leave my amazing experience with it in my memories. I never would have thought i would have been applauding naughtydog for how the made abby. I did not expect to like her or have emotions resonate. Even the scenes of joel and ellie were amazing, abby and lev, and watching ellie evolve.I understand some people want another game with ellie and joel, but you just can't do that. This isn't uncharted, Ellie and joel had they're run together. There is no way those two could have surpased what they did without being a basic repeat. This game had to be about Ellie and go in different ways. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 08 July 2020

iron_megalith said:

Speaking of expectations, I blame whoever in Naughty Dog and Druckmann for this PR nightmare that they are experiencing. Looking back at how they communicated with the fans about Joel and Ellie's involvement in this sequel was downright hilarious. From interviews to trailers, they just played fans so hard.

If you don't want anyone to have any expectations, should have started a new IP.

What exactly did they expect? An older joel to go on another side kick adventure with an older ellie? I don't think many people gave much thought about what to expect from the sequel. 

KratosLives said:
iron_megalith said:

What exactly did they expect? An older joel to go on another side kick adventure with an older ellie? I don't think many people gave much thought about what to expect from the sequel. 

Regardless of what fans are to expect, Naughty Dog themselves set some sort of expectation to which they cannot deliver.

KratosLives said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Yeah, because you need the "right" mindset to enjoy a game. Let's re-educate people to force them to like what I like because if they don't then they're wrong!

So you are saying i'm wrong?. State of mind and distractions alters a game experience completely. There are different factors that can heighten and lower the experience. How you approach a game is huge factor.  What i'm saying is the game itself isn't the issue, there is a reason many love it. Those that don't and reacted like joe, is unfortunately on their own doing and the way they chose to play the game and the mindset they went in with in the first place. I loved thed first game, played it multiple times, platinumed it, so how is it  some one like myself can be proud with what the team did on the sequel? I saw no real flaws in the game, everything was done in painstakingly detail and there was a though process behind everything implemented. When all this drama settles, they will look back at this game and time, and as a gem badly misinterpreted. 

And that's where a lot of people will disagree with you.

Also, it is pretty early for you to say that this is a misunderstood masterpiece when it hasn't even been out for a year.

Let's see if it can even come close to the success of Kojima's MGS2 stunt and maintain some sort of relevancy after more than a decade.

Last edited by iron_megalith - on 08 July 2020

iron_megalith said:
KratosLives said:

So you are saying i'm wrong?. State of mind and distractions alters a game experience completely. There are different factors that can heighten and lower the experience. How you approach a game is huge factor.  What i'm saying is the game itself isn't the issue, there is a reason many love it. Those that don't and reacted like joe, is unfortunately on their own doing and the way they chose to play the game and the mindset they went in with in the first place. I loved thed first game, played it multiple times, platinumed it, so how is it  some one like myself can be proud with what the team did on the sequel? I saw no real flaws in the game, everything was done in painstakingly detail and there was a though process behind everything implemented. When all this drama settles, they will look back at this game and time, and as a gem badly misinterpreted. 

Also, it is pretty early for you to say that this is a misunderstood masterpiece when it hasn't even been out for a year.

Let's see if it can even come close to the success of Kojima's MGS2 stunt and maintain some sort of relevancy after more than a decade.

Most people, according to reviews and reddit forrums, do agree with me. I'm pretty sure that those who didn't like it are in the minority. 

Around the Network
KratosLives said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Spoiler!

Most people do not have a problem with Joel dieing but with the deliverance,the wrongdoings of Joel in the first game had build up and made you feel for the character that did it while the fireflies were never a perfect organisation and had testsubjects before that failed to deliver a cure(Ellie was not unique), so there was a deeper connection that made his choices more meaningfull for the player,and surely after the whole father/daughter buildup.

This absolutely had almost no buildup and there are so many coincidences and out of character things happening to even get to the point of the brutality that comes too early for letting it feel justified for the story,it felt like the game wanted to cover major plotpoints without much care how to get to them.At the end it was a simple revenge story written badly,even Stephen King his worst books stand miles above what this was imo.

I do not applaud this just being shocking and daring while it comes of as uninspiring and lazy,the only positive about the writing for me personally is that while i disliked most characters by the end i finally started to feel something for Abby and i'm happy she got away cause what would be left without that? Just the terrible Ellie and nothing to return to.

Joel has done terrible acts of the past, killed innocent,  that he is ashamed off. And the end of the first game didn't resonate well with everyone. And nothing was justified for joel commiting such acts at the end. He did not have to brutally kill everyone. But i guess since the game shows that murder and death is a common thing without much hesitation,  there could be some people who didn;t feel anything by joels actions and the only thing on their mind is ellie and joel. Joel kiling the surgeon was a grave mistake, maybe blame it on the writers, even the death of marlene could be questioned.  I saw no laziness in the writing at all. They had to tie the sequel to the first, and show that actions have consequences. And people expecting joel and ellie to have another duo adventure are kidding themselves and don't truly understand the world of "the last of us". 

Also people act like the first game had no issues, pacing problems.  If i was to nit pick, i can find things wrong with the game. I have been playing the first remastered aswell, and for someone reason find it hard adjusting to the old game. Maybe i should just leave my amazing experience with it in my memories. I never would have thought i would have been applauding naughtydog for how the made abby. I did not expect to like her or have emotions resonate. Even the scenes of joel and ellie were amazing, abby and lev, and watching ellie evolve.I understand some people want another game with ellie and joel, but you just can't do that. This isn't uncharted, Ellie and joel had they're run together. There is no way those two could have surpased what they did without being a basic repeat. This game had to be about Ellie and go in different ways. 

Spoiler!

First bolded:I'm aware it did not resonate well with everyone,there is a big difference in understanding why a character does something and agreeing with that action taken and also that happened at the end of the game with building up to it and that is again a big difference.

Second bolded: It felt more justified for HIS character in HIS state of mind with all of the backstory beforehand,again the action in itself is not a justified humane action but fitting in good storywriting.

Third bolded: Does consequences have to mean torture and death and being spit upon by people not known yet and so early in the game,i do think not and this was a bad decision in my opinion cause it even shuts people to be open for Abby her backstory told afterwards by having this happen so early.And does hate always has to be the solution?

Fourth bolded:It could have been all that without being this game but i'm happy you enjoyed it while i keep on working on why i'm wrong for not accepting the perfect views others have.

padib said:
KratosLives said:

Jo

The criticism of the story generally goes deeper than "we preferred having a story like in TLOU with Ellie and Joel". You might want to watch/read some, it will show you what people highlighted as narrative issues that broke immersion in TLOU2.

But to contribute, you will see that the primary issue was that people did not buy into the vengeful drive that animates certain characters and for which they (the characters) are not questioned. Another criticism is how the main leaked scene plays out too easily and is not believable.

Spoiler!

First bolded:I'm aware it did not resonate well with everyone,there is a big difference in understanding why a character does something and agreeing with that action taken and also that happened at the end of the game with building up to it and that is again a big difference.

Second bolded: It felt more justified for HIS character in HIS state of mind with all of the backstory beforehand,again the action in itself is not a justified humane action but fitting in good storywriting.

Third bolded: Does consequences have to mean torture and death and being spit upon by people not known yet and so early in the game,i do think not and this was a bad decision in my opinion cause it even shuts people to be open for Abby her backstory told afterwards by having this happen so early.And does hate always has to be the solution?

Fourth bolded:It could have been all that without being this game but i'm happy you enjoyed it while i keep on working on why i'm wrong for not accepting the perfect views others have.

But what about the gameplay. It;s greatly improved on the first, from the Ai, to the addition dogs, crawling and hiding mechanics, the whistling by the scars.. just playing the game itself tells a story. I know people keep hyping the cutscene narratives, but there is much more than that, same with the first game. By the end of it, i was so satisfied and ready to do another player through. And just like the first game, when you played it once, you know the story, the following play throughs becomes more about the focus on gameplay. And like the first, the immersion in  gameplay is on its own a 10/10 experience. 

KratosLives said:
iron_megalith said:

Most people, according to reviews and reddit forrums, do agree with me. I'm pretty sure that those who didn't like it are in the minority. 

Agree to disagree. Also, reddit is not the only sphere where you can get a discussion.

iron_megalith said:
KratosLives said:

Agree to disagree. Also, reddit is not the only sphere where you can get a discussion.

Well i hope maybe in time on another play through you might change your perspective. That's the great thing of the internet. Things that didn't resonate with you can be discussed, themes can be explored, things that were missed or didn;t make sense initially can be discovered, like a puzzle piece. My wife who just finished the game, leans more towards your side. She was attached to joel and couldn't resonate with abby.