By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thoughts on 69.99$ games for Next Gen Consoles?

Thoughts on 70$ games next gen?

I'm happy with it, more money=better value 6 5.77%

I'm ok with it 26 25.00%

Don't like it, but will tolerate it 30 28.85%

Completely against it, won't tolerate it 42 40.38%

Total:104

70 dollars works out at £56. We've been paying that here in UK since ps4 began if bought off psn store, sometimes even more.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Around the Network
Leynos said:
NightlyPoe said:
Mostly, I'm kicking myself for not posting this topic a month ago when I thought about how overdue we were for a price hike (I even did some research and then just didn't get around to it). Prices have been stuck at $60 for at least 15 years now and the price of development has only gone up. Not to mention how quickly games have been dropping in price in those same years (Nintendo aside).

Funny thing, games were sometimes pretty expensive back on the SNES. I remember Street Fighter II being over $70 back when it first came out.

Cart games in the 90s had custom chips not standard Blu Ray and did not have digital distribution either which doesn't cost to manufacture anything so it's not the same at all.

$60 in 2000 is equal to $94 today, price rise to $70 is more than fair. 

vonny said:
Leynos said:

Cart games in the 90s had custom chips not standard Blu Ray and did not have digital distribution either which doesn't cost to manufacture anything so it's not the same at all.

No. It's not for many reasons already mentioned in the thread. Yours is an overly simplistic take. Also, no one said anything about the year 2000. The only thing 60 then would be an N64 game..because of again, Carts.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm worried because where I live, console game prices are calculated by converting the USA price to the local currency using the exchange rate and then adding an extra to make it profitable for retailers. That ends up being just too expensive here and unaffordable for most people, this increase will make this even harsher. I also fear that this will somehow make used games more scarce, with less people being able to buy them at release.

Third world country struggles aside, I think its fair considering that videogame prices have been stagnant for more than 10 years and game development cost has skyrocketed for AAA games.

Leynos said:
vonny said:

No. It's not for many reasons already mentioned in the thread. Yours is an overly simplistic take. Also, no one said anything about the year 2000. The only thing 60 then would be an N64 game..because of again, Carts.

PS2 games were $50 in 2000 which is $73 with inflation, Video game development is significantly more expensive now than 20 years ago. The flat line increase for video games is a large part of why crunch culture exist in the industry.  

Around the Network
StokedUp said:
70 dollars works out at £56. We've been paying that here in UK since ps4 began if bought off psn store, sometimes even more.

This is true for the digital store/s. UK game prices have gradually gone up. For retail copies online, a (new) average game goes for around £50; which is £5 up from 8th gen.

Games are getting more expensive to produce, hence price hike.

Last edited by hinch - on 04 July 2020

Better be a facking good game then.
I expect solid experiances that are long lasting, if their gonna start chargeing more.

A game like God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn? fair enough charge 70$ for that.
But obviously not every game should be priced that high.

If games were complete at release without all the MTX, DLC, and whatnot. I'd be completely fine with it. Since that is not the case, publishers are just trying to get over by increasing the price on the base game while still doing the aforementioned practices.

if development becomes more expensive then sure, The smaller studios need to make some money.

JWeinCom said:
Inflation is a thing that happens. Prices have gone up on most products, so I don't know why games should be any different. As always though, people can vote with their wallets.

Prices go up because your money is more worthless than it was in past because governments just print money.