By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EVO 2020 officially cancelled in the wake of the storm of sexual controversy, new CEO installed

shikamaru317 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Uhm. False as in provably false, or false as in not enough to convict in a court of law.

Those are 2 very different things.

I'm not really sure, I'm having trouble finding the study now, saw it on Twitter several weeks ago. I seem to recall that it was based on recently released FBI statistics, and that the percentage that they found were false were very high. But now I can't find the article about it.

Well let me know if you find it. 

I will be highhhllly surprised if false meant "we proved it was false" as opposed to "we can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law".

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Yaknow, I will just never understand the need for some people (especially rich ones, cough cough epstein) to just blatantly cross the line.
Like, get a hobby or something

Hiku said:

Can you guys please stop talking about the statistics of sexual allegations? Talk about this case, or cases related to the FGC.
I don't want to see anyone here telling victims how they should or should not handle these things. @EnricoPallazzo 

As for this one, I go over it more in detail below, but it is painfully obvious by the reactions of everyone that knows Joey that they either knew about his behavior for a long time, and/or they believe it firmly enough to the point where prominent players and announcers boycotted EVO.
The rest of the EVO owners kicking him out and apparently also buying him out of the company should be another sign. But for more details:

KLAMarine said:
Allegations.

Is that how you'd respond if your daughter told you she was sexually assaulted? Or "Did you record it?"
That's how you responded to someone in a thread some months back.

This is about a public figure, so you should try to do the bare minimum of looking into the massive amount of information circulating about  this before making ignorant comments.
A lot of his friends are corroborating these stories. James Chen for example confirms he knew of the fountain incidents. Mike Wattson told us how Joey told a boy to do naked jumping jacks for E3 tickets. The boy that was tricked into showing him his erection mentioned several well known FGC members like Viscant by name, and said that they laughed at him when he told them this right after it happened, because they all knew that Joey was gay, and he didn't.
Filipinoman, another friend of Joey's, was also at the receiving end of similar behavior from him: 

It's the movement, and it's been a long time coming. I've seen numerous posts on facebook of people calling out abusive people and doing it in solidarity, and as much as it makes me happy to see people standing together, this must still take an awful lot of bravery to do.

Hiku said:

Here's the story of the naked jumping jacks for E3 tickets, from Mike Wattson: https://youtu.be/IHEepYNOAxM?t=2440

At timestamp, or 39:48

dawg, srsly like what kind of fucked up 90s era frat house behavior is that

Edit: just thinking about that makes me unbelieveably mad. So humiliating

Last edited by theprof00 - on 03 July 2020

That is very unfortunate and worse, to common.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Hiku said:

Can you guys please stop talking about the statistics of sexual allegations? Talk about this case, or cases related to the FGC.
I don't want to see anyone here telling victims how they should or should not handle these things. @EnricoPallazzo 

As for this one, I go over it more in detail below, but it is painfully obvious by the reactions of everyone that knows Joey that they either knew about his behavior for a long time, and/or they believe it firmly enough to the point where prominent players and announcers boycotted EVO.
The rest of the EVO owners kicking him out and apparently also buying him out of the company should be another sign. But for more details:

KLAMarine said:
Allegations.

Is that how you'd respond if your daughter told you she was sexually assaulted? Or "Did you record it?"
That's how you responded to someone in a thread some months back.

This is about a public figure, so you should try to do the bare minimum of looking into the massive amount of information circulating about  this before making ignorant comments.
A lot of his friends are corroborating these stories. James Chen for example confirms he knew of the fountain incidents. Mike Wattson told us how Joey told a boy to do naked jumping jacks for E3 tickets. The boy that was tricked into showing him his erection mentioned several well known FGC members like Viscant by name, and said that they laughed at him when he told them this right after it happened, because they all knew that Joey was gay, and he didn't.
Filipinoman, another friend of Joey's, was also at the receiving end of similar behavior from him:

I'm not defending that Cuellar guy bcuz he does seem like a pervert, but I'd like to point out that that "kid" who was messaging him there was no victim either. He was clearly taking advantage of the situation to get stuff.

EnricoPallazzo said:
TruckOSaurus said:

That's what enables a lot of sexual predators. Proof is very hard to come by in cases of sexual harassment or even in cases of rape if the victim doesn't go to the police right away. So it boils down to a situation of "your word against mine" most of time.

Doesnt matter, if you have no proof, no evidence, no witnesses, you should be prepared to be sued back because we have a lot of cases where people have made accusations only to destroy the person life. Also a sexual offense once becomes public already destroyed your life even if it is 100% a lie. Its terrible that people use it as a way to silence others, but it should be reason to destroy someone without proof. So in my opinion, if you are innocent, sue back agressively. 

http://www.open.ac.uk/research/news/false-accusations-sexual-violence

What’s clear is that the spectre of false allegation continues to dog the reporting of sexual violence. There remains a public impression that false allegations are common and that innocent people suffer as the result of being wrongfully accused.

The evidence on false allegations fails to support public anxiety that untrue reporting is common. While the statistics on false allegations vary – and refer most often to rape and sexual assault – they are invariably and consistently low. Research for the Home Office suggests that only 4% of cases of sexual violence reported to the UK police are found or suspected to be false. Studies carried out in Europe and in the US indicate rates of between 2% and 6%.

It happens, but you call that a lot?

Eurogamer just did a good article on sexual harrasment in the games industry.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-30-sexism-and-harassment-in-the-games-industry-isnt-just-about-big-names-the-entire-culture-must-change

I haven't seen any harassment going on myself while working in the software industry (didn't look out for it either) but can attest to the culture of binge drinking peer pressure. Friday after work to the pub was heavily encouraged, as well as weekend outings to get stupid drunk as a form of team building. It wasn't mandatory or anything (just heavily encouraged in a if you don't go you're lame sort of way), but free unlimited alcohol plus peer pressure etc. High pressure work, time to let off steam by getting blind drunk.

shikamaru317 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Doesnt matter, if you have no proof, no evidence, no witnesses, you should be prepared to be sued back because we have a lot of cases where people have made accusations only to destroy the person life. Also a sexual offense once becomes public already destroyed your life even if it is 100% a lie. Its terrible that people use it as a way to silence others, but it should be reason to destroy someone without proof. So in my opinion, if you are innocent, sue back agressively. 

Yeah, I seem to recall reading a study that said that something like 70% of all sexual abuse and harassment allegations that have been properly investigated since the Me Too era began turned out to be false. Somebody doesn't like their boss, they can simply say "he made unwarranted sexual advances and made me feel uncomfortable", and then the boss is gone. Don't like something a celebrity said? Accuse them of sexual assault and suddenly they are cancelled, kicked off of whatever tv shows or movies they were doing, without any proof or chance to defend themselves.

The Me Too movement has made things worse for people who faced actual sexual assault and harassment, as there are so many people crying wolf that it becomes harder and harder for people to believe those who are legit. 

70%??? See my previous post.

Btw it's pretty telling Eurogamer doesn't allow comments anymore on articles about sexual harassment. It's always the same, but the false accusations, Me Too only produces more false claims.

I'll just copy the last part of that link entirely

The bigger question

The weight and importance given to the issue of false allegation is surprising given how prevalent sexual violence is. For example, a recent large-scale study surveying 42,000 women found that up to 21% of women in the EU had experienced sexual harassment in the preceding 12 months. Estimates for the UK were higher at 25%. It’s likely that these figures are an underestimate given that research also suggests women often choose not to call their experiences “sexual harassment”.

This has also been found to be the case with other kinds of sexual violence. Indeed, women choose not to label their experiences using the language of sexual violence, even when their responses on questionnaires clearly marry with official definitions of it.

The reasons for this are complex and varied. Some women see their experiences as a normal part of everyday life – something that they have they simply have to deal with. Others worry about the repercussions if they do report incidents. This includes the potential impact on their professional standing, their ability to get work, their relationships and their personal reputation.

The importance given to the issue of false allegations diverts attention away from questions that are ultimately more instructive for preventing sexual violence. And in fact, asking why reports of sexual harassment and violence are treated with suspicion may bring us closer to understanding what we can do to lift the barriers to reporting and seeking successful redress. It will also ultimately bring us closer to understanding the conditions in which sexual harassment and violence are enabled.

http://www.open.ac.uk/research/news/false-accusations-sexual-violence

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 03 July 2020

Hiku said:
chakkra said:

I'm not defending that Cuellar guy bcuz he does seem like a pervert, but I'd like to point out that that "kid" who was messaging him there was no victim either. He was clearly taking advantage of the situation to get stuff.

If you let me sell your merchandise and then you shoot me, am I not your victim?
You are defending him if you claim that someone leveraging their position and power to sexually harass someone working for them isn't victimizing them. It's potentially illegal. And the fact that they're minors makes it even worse.

He's still a victim of Joey's sexual harassment and predatory behavior. At best you could say that Joey is a victim as well for being taken advantage of.
But that's neither illegal nor immoral in this case even if it were true. And I don't think asking to sell EVO merchandise is taking advantage of. That's a give and take situation with EVO getting part of the profits. That's how business works. That's how everyone in the inner circle operates.
There's nothing wrong with give and take in a working environment as long as it's not coercing sexual favors.

And Joey, being the head of EVO, had the power to ostracize people from the FGC if people rocked the boat when he made his inappropriate advances. That's exactly why he had to be removed.

You don't tell someone who is supposed to be the boss "hey, bitch boy" unless there is already some kind of previous "friendship" going on.
Again, I'm talking about this particular instance. The first message where the Cuellar guy asked him for naked pics was on March, 4th and then the guy messaged him back two months later asking him for favors. You should not be asking favors from somebody who already asked you for naked pics.

How has he not deleted or put his twitter on private and just stayed off the internet.