Forums - Gaming Discussion - EVO 2020 officially cancelled in the wake of the storm of sexual controversy, new CEO installed

chakkra said:
Hiku said:

Can you guys please stop talking about the statistics of sexual allegations? Talk about this case, or cases related to the FGC.
I don't want to see anyone here telling victims how they should or should not handle these things. @EnricoPallazzo 

As for this one, I go over it more in detail below, but it is painfully obvious by the reactions of everyone that knows Joey that they either knew about his behavior for a long time, and/or they believe it firmly enough to the point where prominent players and announcers boycotted EVO.
The rest of the EVO owners kicking him out and apparently also buying him out of the company should be another sign. But for more details:

Is that how you'd respond if your daughter told you she was sexually assaulted? Or "Did you record it?"
That's how you responded to someone in a thread some months back.

This is about a public figure, so you should try to do the bare minimum of looking into the massive amount of information circulating about  this before making ignorant comments.
A lot of his friends are corroborating these stories. James Chen for example confirms he knew of the fountain incidents. Mike Wattson told us how Joey told a boy to do naked jumping jacks for E3 tickets. The boy that was tricked into showing him his erection mentioned several well known FGC members like Viscant by name, and said that they laughed at him when he told them this right after it happened, because they all knew that Joey was gay, and he didn't.
Filipinoman, another friend of Joey's, was also at the receiving end of similar behavior from him:

I'm not defending that Cuellar guy bcuz he does seem like a pervert, but I'd like to point out that that "kid" who was messaging him there was no victim either. He was clearly taking advantage of the situation to get stuff.

If you let me sell your merchandise and then you shoot me, am I not your victim?
You are defending him if you claim that someone leveraging their position and power to sexually harass someone working for them isn't victimizing them. It's potentially illegal. And the fact that they're minors makes it even worse.

He's still a victim of Joey's sexual harassment and predatory behavior. At best you could say that Joey is a victim as well for being taken advantage of.
But that's neither illegal nor immoral in this case even if it were true. And I don't think asking to sell EVO merchandise is taking advantage of. That's a give and take situation with EVO getting part of the profits. That's how business works. That's how everyone in the inner circle operates.
There's nothing wrong with give and take in a working environment as long as it's not coercing sexual favors.

And Joey, being the head of EVO, had the power to ostracize people from the FGC if people rocked the boat when he made his inappropriate advances. That's exactly why he had to be removed.

Last edited by Hiku - on 03 July 2020

Around the Network

Alright guys, no more general statistics. @SvennoJ @shikamaru317 

Like I said earlier, let's focus on FGC.

Hiku said:
chakkra said:

I'm not defending that Cuellar guy bcuz he does seem like a pervert, but I'd like to point out that that "kid" who was messaging him there was no victim either. He was clearly taking advantage of the situation to get stuff.

If you let me sell your merchandise and then you shoot me, am I not your victim?
You are defending him if you claim that someone leveraging their position and power to sexually harass someone working for them isn't victimizing them. It's potentially illegal. And the fact that they're minors makes it even worse.

He's still a victim of Joey's sexual harassment and predatory behavior. At best you could say that Joey is a victim as well for being taken advantage of.
But that's neither illegal nor immoral in this case even if it were true. And I don't think asking to sell EVO merchandise is taking advantage of. That's a give and take situation with EVO getting part of the profits. That's how business works. That's how everyone in the inner circle operates.
There's nothing wrong with give and take in a working environment as long as it's not coercing sexual favors.

And Joey, being the head of EVO, had the power to ostracize people from the FGC if people rocked the boat when he made his inappropriate advances. That's exactly why he had to be removed.

You don't tell someone who is supposed to be the boss "hey, bitch boy" unless there is already some kind of previous "friendship" going on.
Again, I'm talking about this particular instance. The first message where the Cuellar guy asked him for naked pics was on March, 4th and then the guy messaged him back two months later asking him for favors. You should not be asking favors from somebody who already asked you for naked pics.

chakkra said:
Hiku said:

You don't tell someone who is supposed to be the boss "hey, bitch boy" unless there is already some kind of previous "friendship" going on.
Again, I'm talking about this particular instance. The first message where the Cuellar guy asked him for naked pics was on March, 4th and then the guy messaged him back two months later asking him for favors. You should not be asking favors from somebody who already asked you for naked pics.

He stated that they were friends. And that he convinced himself the sexual comments were just jokes.

And even if he had viewed those comments as not jokes, are you suggesting that Anton should give up his aspirations in working with the biggest FGC event in the world because the guy is sexually harassing him?

This is literally why there are laws against bosses coercing sex from their employees. Because quitting because of it should never be acceptable.

How has he not deleted or put his twitter on private and just stayed off the internet.

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm not really sure, I'm having trouble finding the study now, saw it on Twitter several weeks ago. I seem to recall that it was based on recently released FBI statistics, and that the percentage that they found were false were very high. But now I can't find the article about it.

Well let me know if you find it. 

I will be highhhllly surprised if false meant "we proved it was false" as opposed to "we can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law".

Agree. I totally would believe that most cases cant be solved in court due to lack of proof. Which would make someone not guilty which is different from innocent.

Wyrdness said:

How has he not deleted or put his twitter on private and just stayed off the internet.

Hiku said:
chakkra said:

He stated that they were friends. And that he convinced himself the sexual comments were just jokes.

And even if he had viewed those comments as not jokes, are you suggesting that Anton should give up his aspirations in working with the biggest FGC event in the world because the guy is sexually harassing him?

This is literally why there are laws against bosses coercing sex from their employees. Because quitting because of it should never be acceptable.

No. The guy should not "give up his aspirations in working with the biggest FGC event in the world" but also should not be asking him for favors after the other guy repeatedly showed interest in him. And yes, I agree that this Cuellar guy should not be in a position of power, but something in this particular story doesn't add up.

Look, literally days after I came out in my neighborhood as bisexual I had not one but TWO sixteen-year-olds offering me sex in exchange of money. How they got to the conclusion that I was going to be into that, I have no idea since I was not attracted to them in the slightest, and to my recollection, I never did anything that would make them think otherwise. I had to reject them both and one of them got really verbally nasty with me when I did; I was genuinely scared that he would do something to harm me after that but thankfully he just stopped talking to me. So I know for a fact that there are many "kids" out there that are not innocent angels.

But again, I don't know these people and I don't know exactly what happened so I will refrain myself to give more opinions on the matter.

chakkra said:
Hiku said:

No. The guy should not "give up his aspirations in working with the biggest FGC event in the world" but also should not be asking him for favors after the other guy repeatedly showed interest in him.

That's the same thing here.
He wanted to work with EVO. If he refrains from suggesting it because Joey sexually harassed him, he'd be giving up his EVO aspirations because he got harassed.

That's enabling the predator.
Either the victim gives them the sex, or they're forced to quit and the predator moves on to a new victim that wants to work with EVO.

chakkra said:

Look, literally days after I came out in my neighborhood as bisexual I had not one but TWO sixteen-year-olds offering me sex in exchange of money. How they got to the conclusion that I was going to be into that, I have no idea since I was not attracted to them in the slightest, and to my recollection, I never did anything that would make them think otherwise. I had to reject them both and one of them got really verbally nasty with me when I did; I was genuinely scared that he would do something to harm me after that but thankfully he just stopped talking to me. So I know for a fact that there are many "kids" out there that are not innocent angels.

But again, I don't know these people and I don't know exactly what happened so I will refrain myself to give more opinions on the matter.

I don't see why you chose this analogy?

They didn't hold your future career prospects in their hands when the suggestion was made. Giving up some pocket change is not the same as a fighting game players giving up on working with EVO.
Nor were they your friends from the sound of it.

Last edited by Hiku - on 03 July 2020

Nevermind, not worth it

Last edited by EnricoPallazzo - on 03 July 2020