By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - RUMOR - A NEW Hope - Decanonization of the sequels possible

Should Lucasfilm decanonize the sequels

Yes 23 51.11%

No 19 42.22%

On the fence 3 6.67%

Total:45
super_etecoon said:
StokedUp said:
Sorry what's decanonize?

Essentially it would mean that as a Star Wars viewer you would basically forget these films existed.  They would not be part of the official lore.  The bible, for instance, has had many books removed from it over time, and they are no longer part of the official canon of the bible and therefore aren't included in the King James version of the bible.  They still were at one point in time part of the original text, but time (or voting) has removed them from what would be considered "official."  Sorry to use such a significant piece of history or literature as my example, but you can see then the power that decanonization can have on history, even for something as far reaching as a religious testament.

OK, I get what you mean. So when they say sequels, do they mean reys saga or anakins saga? Or both? 

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Around the Network
StokedUp said:
super_etecoon said:

Essentially it would mean that as a Star Wars viewer you would basically forget these films existed.  They would not be part of the official lore.  The bible, for instance, has had many books removed from it over time, and they are no longer part of the official canon of the bible and therefore aren't included in the King James version of the bible.  They still were at one point in time part of the original text, but time (or voting) has removed them from what would be considered "official."  Sorry to use such a significant piece of history or literature as my example, but you can see then the power that decanonization can have on history, even for something as far reaching as a religious testament.

OK, I get what you mean. So when they say sequels, do they mean reys saga or anakins saga? Or both? 

I think they mean Rey's saga.

StokedUp said:
super_etecoon said:

Prequels- Anakin's Saga (Episodes 1-3)

Originals- Luke's Saga (Episode 4-6)

Sequels- Rey's Saga (Episode 7-9)

super_etecoon said:
StokedUp said:

Prequels- Anakin's Saga (Episodes 1-3)

Originals- Luke's Saga (Episode 4-6)

Sequels- Rey's Saga (Episode 7-9)

I should of thought that one through.

I actually liked Reys saga, I enjoyed them alot more than the prequels but I guess the prequels, no matter how much people hate them, they're very relevant to the story.

I just wonder where Disney are going next because there's another 3 movies in the works apparently. 

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Shadow1980 said:
Not gonna happen, no matter how much some may wish it. What possible purpose could it serve to the franchise to basically ignore the sequel trilogy going forward, considering how much else they've tied into those movies? Does anyone actually expect them to make a new sequel trilogy or something else radical? And why would Disney invest considerable sums of money just to placate a vocal minority of fans who overreacted to what is and the end of the day a fantasy film? The sequel trilogy made a ton of money (yes, even Ep. 9), and the audience reception was not any worse than that of the prequels, and averaged maybe slightly better (obvious attempts at review bombing TLJ on RT notwithstanding). And The Mandalorian and the final season of The Clone Wars were successes, showing that the sequels didn't "kill" the franchise. The franchise is as popular and commercially viable as it's ever been. Disney has no real reason to do this.

Considering all the hate the prequels received 15-20 years ago (has it really been that long?), much of it the same in content and vehemence, it would not surprise me if there were people on online forums at the time hoping that Lucasfilm and Fox would decanonize the prequels. And if some fans did so, they clearly didn't get their wish. It's Star Wars. Nearly everything that wasn't part of the original versions of the original trilogy has been met with outrage (and there's probably still people that don't even particularly like Return of the Jedi). It's nothing new. Lucasfilm didn't completely overhaul the franchise in response to fan complaints in the past (even midichlorians are still canon), and they aren't going to do so now.

Not the same situation.

Firstly, at the time of the prequels George Lucas was still the president of his own company, and despite the obvious hate he got, he still was proud of their movies. Disney not when we can see how much they ignored Episode VIII in Episode IX and tried to "fix it" (a big mistake).

Secondly, prequels made way more money than the sequels. Novels, toys, animated shows, games and conventions grew after the prequels. For the sequels merchandising is rooting on shelves, side content is (apparently) not selling well enough and some rumors points that there are not content planned to follow the new timeline. Even part of the cast don't want to come back.

Thirdly, they can ignore those movies, just like they ignored the prequels. It is not the first time this happens.

It's still a rumor, and coming from the same person that apparently has leaked valid info in the past.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Nothing pleases me more than seeing Dave Filoni continue to gain influence at LucasFilm, while Kathleen's upcoming projects are continually being sidetracked by Disney. 

Saw a rumor that Rian Johnson trilogy and Kennedy's projects has been canned. Do you know something?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I was disappointed in the Rey trilogy and I'm done with any show/book/movie based around the clone wars era.

Bring on the old republic! Specially the Bane Trilogy!

Shadow1980 said:

Considering all the hate the prequels received 15-20 years ago (has it really been that long?), much of it the same in content and vehemence, it would not surprise me if there were people on online forums at the time hoping that Lucasfilm and Fox would decanonize the prequels. And if some fans did so, they clearly didn't get their wish. It's Star Wars. Nearly everything that wasn't part of the original versions of the original trilogy has been met with outrage (and there's probably still people that don't even particularly like Return of the Jedi). It's nothing new. Lucasfilm didn't completely overhaul the franchise in response to fan complaints in the past (even midichlorians are still canon), and they aren't going to do so now.

Except that didn't really happen. Most of the prequel hate was retroactively made up way after the trilogy was over (partly due to the efforts of Red Letter Media and the like), although people obviously acknowledged Lucas's flaws concerning his dialogue etc.

Some even tried to push this narrative back to the original trilogy (Rian Johnson, for instance, saying ESB faced the same criticisms as TLJ) even though all evidence from back then shows that is patently untrue. Most people also loved RotJ when it released, silly ewoks and all, so yeah.

padib said:

Bob Iger quit with all this mess, and is being replaced by Bob Chapek. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9giKaOROH6I

This isn't right.  Bob Iger's situation likely has nothing to do with Star Wars.  He has said he was going to retire 4 other times since 2013.  They went ahead with the succession plan in the early days of the Covid-19 pandemic.  Since then, he has unofficially resumed control of the company to help lead them through the pandemic.  And he is still executive chairman of Disney.  It is not like he up and quit.  If they were really worried about the movie or media side, do you think the new CEO would have come from the head of the parks and cruise business?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/business/media/disney-ceo-coronavirus.html

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

lol they gonna decanonize the even crappier prequels too?