Forums - Movies Discussion - RUMOR - A NEW Hope - Decanonization of the sequels possible

Should Lucasfilm decanonize the sequels

Yes 22 50.00%

No 19 43.18%

On the fence 3 6.82%

Total:44
super_etecoon said:

Jake Lloyd was an absolutely atrocious Anakin (Haley Joel Osment post-Sixth Sense would have made a much darker and better character...and it would have kept his career afloat)

That would require some time travel considering that The Sixth Sense came out months after The Phantom Menace and was filmed over a year later.

Around the Network

Doesn't sound realistic. And I don't think it'll solve anything substantial anyway. Maybe Mark Hamill is too old to reprise his role again, or maybe he isn't. But Keri Fisher is gone, and I doubt Harrison Ford will consider doing it again.

And for an alternate timeline to occur, you'd usually involve time travel. I don't think I want to see that element added to Star Wars. Might as well prevent Anakin from turning to the dark side, instead of just stopping Palpatine from surviving then.

Last edited by Hiku - on 11 July 2020

Hiku said:

Doesn't sound realistic. And I don't think it'll solve anything substantial anyway. Maybe Mark Hamill is too old to reprise his role again, or maybe he isn't. But Keri Fisher is gone, and I doubt Harrison Ford will consider doing it again.

And for an alternate timeline to occur, you'd usually involve time travel. I don't think I want to see that element added to Star Wars. Might as well prevent Anakin from turning to the dark side, instead of just stopping Palpatine from surviving then.

I would kinda love saving Anakin from turnig to the dark side and letting him raise Luke and Leia in peace. I bet most fans wouldn't like such a thing, though. 

Just make something new without having to cling to old characters or villians.

I don't know why people are so upset with 7-9 but accept 1-3 so readily just because George Lucas did it.

Guess what they sucked hard too, and guess what Lucas sold out by selling the franchise to Disney, therefore it is flawless logic to say ignore it all as Lucas isn't involved as he chose not to be.

Makes you wonder what 4-6 would have turned out like if Lucas had access to much better technology. Would it still resemble 4-6 but better effects, or would it be closer to 1-3.

Around the Network

But what will we do if the scene of Luke drinking green alien titty milk is forever erased?

KLAMarine said:
But what will we do if the scene of Luke drinking green alien titty milk is forever erased?

We'll just have to hope that they make one where he drinks purple milk from something else's tits.

Interesting.. Well they're already not considered canon to me. They feel utterly pointless for the most part - not to mention largely diminish the impact of the original trilogy (despite the efforts of our hereos the empire just comes back in full force - and even stronger actually - in just 40 years anyway!)

Honestly aside from the visuals I truly feel Disney could not have screwed up such a popular franchise up any more if they tried.. How does a major studio botch such a massive property like this? Truly baffling to me..

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 12 July 2020

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Metallox said:
Hiku said:

I would kinda love saving Anakin from turnig to the dark side and letting him raise Luke and Leia in peace. I bet most fans wouldn't like such a thing, though. 

I think that would at least be more interesting than just changing Palpatine's fall, but my trust in how Disney would handle the series even without time travel is not high.

I remember people were similarly upset with the prequels as well when George Lucas first made them. So I'm not sure that input from the man that decided to sell the franchise is necessarily going to improve much. If he cared half as much about the direction of the series as the fans do, I don't imagine he would have sold it.

Hiku said:
Metallox said:

I think that would at least be more interesting than just changing Palpatine's fall, but my trust in how Disney would handle the series even without time travel is not high.

I remember people were similarly upset with the prequels as well when George Lucas first made them. So I'm not sure that input from the man that decided to sell the franchise is necessarily going to improve much. If he cared half as much about the direction of the series as the fans do, I don't imagine he would have sold it.

It's not true. He cared, he said so. He considers them his babies, and mentioned that (and was forced to apologize after) that he felt that he sold them off to the white slavers.

He cares as much about it as the fans if not more, and that's why he's coming back to take care of it, because they did such a horrendous job with it. Even despite mentioning what he did about how you deal with an ex: you don't call, you don't check up on her, you don't pass by her house. But because they so disrespected his legacy in an unexpected way, he's coming back.

It was said, but can't be proven due to Lucas' contract with Disney (non-disparaging clause), that he hated TLJ, and Mark Hammil mentioned that they ruined peoples' childhoods. It was a joke, but I Think he meant it, given how uncomfortable he was with the whole thing. He had to tell himself that it was not Luke Skywalker, but someone else, I think he called him Jake Skywalker.

The prequels were disliked by the fans because they didn't reach the level of quality of the originals. It's a small sin. The sequels were hated because they insulted the originals in many ways, it's on a whole other level it's incomparable.