Forums - Movies Discussion - RUMOR - A NEW Hope - Decanonization of the sequels possible

Should Lucasfilm decanonize the sequels

Yes 22 50.00%

No 19 43.18%

On the fence 3 6.82%

Total:44

Not happening. What else is going to be canon? The old EU is reinstated? It would just be one giant mess. It’s better to come up with what counts for yourself. I never felt like the sequel trilogy actually fits after how Return of the Jedi ends, so it’s hard for me to see them as canon. Even regardless of whether they’re good as films or not.

I never felt that way about the prequels. They fit perfectly before A New Hope, and make sense. Obviously that’s probably because they’re part of George Lucas’s grand vision for the whole saga. Of the other new things, I liked Rogue One a lot, I believed that one to belong right before A New Hope immediately. It’s seamless. Okay you can moan about how those two thugs are on Jeddah one day and then in the cantina on Tatooine to harass Luke the next, but I don’t mind a joke like that. It’s the best of the Disney era Star Wars. I can also see The Mandalorian happening, I’d count that. And it’s a good show, I hope the Cassian and Obi Wan shows will be as good. Clone Wars and Rebels too, though they were started by George actually, and made and finished by competent people. The final season of Clone Wars, in particular the final four episodes, was absolutely amazing and wraps up the loose ends behind Revenge of the Sith nicely. Rebels as well, which actually explains quite some stuff ‘behind the movies’. The Solo film was okay as a film, but felt a little unnecessary, I wouldn’t say it doesn’t fit, but I wouldn’t say it adds anything either.

Old EU stuff that takes place long before the movies like the Bane series and The Old Republic is still canon to me, I don’t see how they’d conflict. Especially Knights of the Old Republic, which is actually hinted at both visually and in words in new material quite a lot.

So long story short; it’s such a mess now that it doesn’t really matter anymore what Disney does, I’m making up for my own what I think counts as canon and what isn’t.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 07 July 2020

Around the Network

What a mess.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Saw another video talking about Daisy "exposing" Kennedy's actions in Episode IX changing a lot of it.
The original cut was similar to the Trevorrow's script, that had a ton of connections to the prequels, but Kennedy decide to change in in the last minute because of that.
BTW, already read that leaked script and was pretty good. It felt like Episode III but with the new cast.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

All I know, is I never want to see Kathleen Kennedy or J.J. Abrams name on anything I care about ever again, Marvel is so lucky to have Kevin Feige.

I am always going to be pissed that they screwed up the last chance to have Hamill, Ford, and Fisher all together.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing/Backlog:
Wii U - Currently Gaming Like It's 2014 (Hyrule Warriors) - 11 games in backlog
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2013 (Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon) - 7 games in backlog
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 (Borderlands 2) - 11 games in backlog
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

The 8th movie was good, if the director had the opportunity to follow his ideas on the 9th it would be a much better movie. The problem was that 8th moved from the fans expectations a lot and people weren't ready. Than jj Abrams had to do that ugly movie trying to "fix" what 8th did. And I do believe Rey being the daughter of nobody was much better than she randomly discovering she is the granddaughter of Palpatine and Kylo Ren would make more sense turning into a full fledgeg villain entirely by choice than that garbage "redemption" he had. But you know, if you are star wars main character you need to be blood related to some villain to be powerful and Han Solo and Leia son would never be evil.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Manlytears said:
Forget og Star wars, forget prequels and sequels! we need movies set at the old Sith Empire, the dark days, the time when sith lords were true gods who terrified the galaxy without ever needing "Death Stars and Chimichangas"! The future of star wars is in the past and ancient lore.

Count on Disney to fuck up that as well and make the dark times rosy.

I actually think Disney did a good job with The Mandalorian showing the galaxy soon after the empire defeat. People seem to forget that the Empire was the Republic under martial law (a very clear reference to Nazi German) and taking out the emperor wouldn't immediately undo all the powers structures they made through the decades. 

Decanonize the Prequels. That has been my hope since these new films were made. Nothing is as irreverent as the terrible job they did on the Vader origin story. Arguably the worst origin story ever made, which is quite sad considering the character they had to work with. The sequels should all have been directed by the same director, and the overall arc should have been defined before the first shot was filmed in episode VII, but at least they didn't mess up anything as sacred as how Vader fell from grace.

Who cares, anyway? It's still in the hands of Disney, and their shitty committees, decanonizing stuff isn't suddenly gonna make the next stuff they make any better. Everything they do at this point is just a desperate attempt at regaining the trust of the fanbase, including the last couple movies, that won't change. This franchise is dead, just accept it.

super_etecoon said:
Decanonize the Prequels. That has been my hope since these new films were made. Nothing is as irreverent as the terrible job they did on the Vader origin story. Arguably the worst origin story ever made, which is quite sad considering the character they had to work with. The sequels should all have been directed by the same director, and the overall arc should have been defined before the first shot was filmed in episode VII, but at least they didn't mess up anything as sacred as how Vader fell from grace.

But they did turn his redemption arc of killing Palpatine into nothing by bringing Palpatine back jsut for the sake of Kylo Ren not being a villain. 

invetedlotus123 said:
super_etecoon said:

But they did turn his redemption arc of killing Palpatine into nothing by bringing Palpatine back jsut for the sake of Kylo Ren not being a villain. 

Palpatine never came back.  His character was simply the embodiment of all Sith and the dark side.  And it's not like we don't have entire religions in real life based around people being the emdodiment of good and returning to life after death.  Personally, I think that Rey being a part of the dark side is such a great antithesis to the story of Vader.  It's quite beautiful to show how someone can fall from the dark side as well.