By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - RUMOR - A NEW Hope - Decanonization of the sequels possible

Should Lucasfilm decanonize the sequels

Yes 23 51.11%

No 19 42.22%

On the fence 3 6.67%

Total:45

The 8th movie was good, if the director had the opportunity to follow his ideas on the 9th it would be a much better movie. The problem was that 8th moved from the fans expectations a lot and people weren't ready. Than jj Abrams had to do that ugly movie trying to "fix" what 8th did. And I do believe Rey being the daughter of nobody was much better than she randomly discovering she is the granddaughter of Palpatine and Kylo Ren would make more sense turning into a full fledgeg villain entirely by choice than that garbage "redemption" he had. But you know, if you are star wars main character you need to be blood related to some villain to be powerful and Han Solo and Leia son would never be evil.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Manlytears said:
Forget og Star wars, forget prequels and sequels! we need movies set at the old Sith Empire, the dark days, the time when sith lords were true gods who terrified the galaxy without ever needing "Death Stars and Chimichangas"! The future of star wars is in the past and ancient lore.

Count on Disney to fuck up that as well and make the dark times rosy.

I actually think Disney did a good job with The Mandalorian showing the galaxy soon after the empire defeat. People seem to forget that the Empire was the Republic under martial law (a very clear reference to Nazi German) and taking out the emperor wouldn't immediately undo all the powers structures they made through the decades. 

Decanonize the Prequels. That has been my hope since these new films were made. Nothing is as irreverent as the terrible job they did on the Vader origin story. Arguably the worst origin story ever made, which is quite sad considering the character they had to work with. The sequels should all have been directed by the same director, and the overall arc should have been defined before the first shot was filmed in episode VII, but at least they didn't mess up anything as sacred as how Vader fell from grace.

super_etecoon said:
Decanonize the Prequels. That has been my hope since these new films were made. Nothing is as irreverent as the terrible job they did on the Vader origin story. Arguably the worst origin story ever made, which is quite sad considering the character they had to work with. The sequels should all have been directed by the same director, and the overall arc should have been defined before the first shot was filmed in episode VII, but at least they didn't mess up anything as sacred as how Vader fell from grace.

But they did turn his redemption arc of killing Palpatine into nothing by bringing Palpatine back jsut for the sake of Kylo Ren not being a villain. 

invetedlotus123 said:
super_etecoon said:

But they did turn his redemption arc of killing Palpatine into nothing by bringing Palpatine back jsut for the sake of Kylo Ren not being a villain. 

Palpatine never came back.  His character was simply the embodiment of all Sith and the dark side.  And it's not like we don't have entire religions in real life based around people being the emdodiment of good and returning to life after death.  Personally, I think that Rey being a part of the dark side is such a great antithesis to the story of Vader.  It's quite beautiful to show how someone can fall from the dark side as well.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:

I liked the prequels, they did show us how the empire was formed and made it clear that the Republic wasn't all roses and candies like the original trilogy give us the impression. For the political lore of Star Wars the prequels were fundamental. And really gave depth for that "evil empire", showing it actually came from somewhere and wasn't just there. 

As for the new trilogy, I do think they made this terrible mistake of not defining an arc prior to filming. 

If this is true, will this be the most expensive retcon ever made? Disney spent quite a lot in this movies, after all. Also, if they can discard everything done on a whim like that, it certainly won't bring any confidence back in future projects. Why be invested in something when it can be retconned at the drop of a hat, after all?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

invetedlotus123 said:
super_etecoon said:

I liked the prequels, they did show us how the empire was formed and made it clear that the Republic wasn't all roses and candies like the original trilogy give us the impression. For the political lore of Star Wars the prequels were fundamental. And really gave depth for that "evil empire", showing it actually came from somewhere and wasn't just there. 

As for the new trilogy, I do think they made this terrible mistake of not defining an arc prior to filming. 

The very boring political intrigue in the prequels didn't match the tone of the original trilogy, but I could look past that if the main purpose of the prequels had done its job.  Jake Lloyd was an absolutely atrocious Anakin (Haley Joel Osment post-Sixth Sense would have made a much darker and better character...and it would have kept his career afloat), and Hayden Christensen is cringe at its finest. Even Natalie Portman is rendered a terrible stage actress having to vocalize the terrible dialogue that Lucas made her attempt to recite.  Add to this the fact that the prequels look too shiny and clean and really divert from the "lived in" look of teh original trilogy, the reliance on CGI as a character, and the awful acting by just about everyone (Ewan and Liam are ok with what they have to work with) and there is absolutely nothing believable throughout the prequels.  The especially painful "Noooooooo" that Vader unleashes is so laughable that it makes even the most redeeming prequel film a giant mistake as it completely fails to stick the landing and turns the iconic Vader into a comic relief character.

Many of the folks who hate the sequels grew up on the prequels and never had a problem with them.  That disconnect is so great and it shows that the Star Wars universe will forever be divided, both in story and out.  That's actually probably a good thing as both fanbases can be appealed to and appeased in the years to come and even the two halves will have casual viewers between both that will simply increase overall profits and ticket sales.  The OP suggest that the Star Wars universe is dead...wow, that's about the most incredibly backwards thesis I could ever imagine.  Sure, there isn't much hype in the universe right now, but that's also because we don't have anything to be hyped about yet.  Just wait until we get another teaser trailer and watch the internet go crazy, in all manner of ways, of course.

super_etecoon said:
invetedlotus123 said:

The very boring political intrigue in the prequels didn't match the tone of the original trilogy, but I could look past that if the main purpose of the prequels had done its job.  Jake Lloyd was an absolutely atrocious Anakin (Haley Joel Osment post-Sixth Sense would have made a much darker and better character...and it would have kept his career afloat), and Hayden Christensen is cringe at its finest. Even Natalie Portman is rendered a terrible stage actress having to vocalize the terrible dialogue that Lucas made her attempt to recite.  Add to this the fact that the prequels look too shiny and clean and really divert from the "lived in" look of teh original trilogy, the reliance on CGI as a character, and the awful acting by just about everyone (Ewan and Liam are ok with what they have to work with) and there is absolutely nothing believable throughout the prequels.  The especially painful "Noooooooo" that Vader unleashes is so laughable that it makes even the most redeeming prequel film a giant mistake as it completely fails to stick the landing and turns the iconic Vader into a comic relief character.

Many of the folks who hate the sequels grew up on the prequels and never had a problem with them.  That disconnect is so great and it shows that the Star Wars universe will forever be divided, both in story and out.  That's actually probably a good thing as both fanbases can be appealed to and appeased in the years to come and even the two halves will have casual viewers between both that will simply increase overall profits and ticket sales.  The OP suggest that the Star Wars universe is dead...wow, that's about the most incredibly backwards thesis I could ever imagine.  Sure, there isn't much hype in the universe right now, but that's also because we don't have anything to be hyped about yet.  Just wait until we get another teaser trailer and watch the internet go crazy, in all manner of ways, of course.

Well, I watched the prequels first and love the political tone. And I do look the original movies, but to me it's too "rebels take down an evil empire" vibe, whitout much thought about everything that is happening and too maniqueist. Rebel alliance = good guys, always doing the right moral choices and etc and empire = bad guys that just are bad and want power.

The prequels added depth to star wars lore as a political setting and showing the Empire was an evil force that came from a degenerated and corrupted republic. Rogue One showed us the rebels weren't an united organization and they did many questionable things, mostly because they had no other option in front of an evil empire, but they did nonetheless. 

The Mandalorian is showing us the galaxy post empire fall and how the new republic is pretty much a bad joke to the common folk. 

I think star wars grows when it goes off the way of Skywalker stuff. Leia and Solo stuff. I love the world building of the franchise. 

This entire rumor is just preposterous wishful thinking.