Forums - Movies Discussion - RUMOR - A NEW Hope - Decanonization of the sequels possible

Should Lucasfilm decanonize the sequels

Yes 22 50.00%

No 19 43.18%

On the fence 3 6.82%

Total:44
super_etecoon said:
Decanonize the Prequels. That has been my hope since these new films were made. Nothing is as irreverent as the terrible job they did on the Vader origin story. Arguably the worst origin story ever made, which is quite sad considering the character they had to work with. The sequels should all have been directed by the same director, and the overall arc should have been defined before the first shot was filmed in episode VII, but at least they didn't mess up anything as sacred as how Vader fell from grace.

I liked the prequels, they did show us how the empire was formed and made it clear that the Republic wasn't all roses and candies like the original trilogy give us the impression. For the political lore of Star Wars the prequels were fundamental. And really gave depth for that "evil empire", showing it actually came from somewhere and wasn't just there. 

As for the new trilogy, I do think they made this terrible mistake of not defining an arc prior to filming. 

Around the Network

If this is true, will this be the most expensive retcon ever made? Disney spent quite a lot in this movies, after all. Also, if they can discard everything done on a whim like that, it certainly won't bring any confidence back in future projects. Why be invested in something when it can be retconned at the drop of a hat, after all?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

invetedlotus123 said:
super_etecoon said:
Decanonize the Prequels. That has been my hope since these new films were made. Nothing is as irreverent as the terrible job they did on the Vader origin story. Arguably the worst origin story ever made, which is quite sad considering the character they had to work with. The sequels should all have been directed by the same director, and the overall arc should have been defined before the first shot was filmed in episode VII, but at least they didn't mess up anything as sacred as how Vader fell from grace.

I liked the prequels, they did show us how the empire was formed and made it clear that the Republic wasn't all roses and candies like the original trilogy give us the impression. For the political lore of Star Wars the prequels were fundamental. And really gave depth for that "evil empire", showing it actually came from somewhere and wasn't just there. 

As for the new trilogy, I do think they made this terrible mistake of not defining an arc prior to filming. 

The very boring political intrigue in the prequels didn't match the tone of the original trilogy, but I could look past that if the main purpose of the prequels had done its job.  Jake Lloyd was an absolutely atrocious Anakin (Haley Joel Osment post-Sixth Sense would have made a much darker and better character...and it would have kept his career afloat), and Hayden Christensen is cringe at its finest. Even Natalie Portman is rendered a terrible stage actress having to vocalize the terrible dialogue that Lucas made her attempt to recite.  Add to this the fact that the prequels look too shiny and clean and really divert from the "lived in" look of teh original trilogy, the reliance on CGI as a character, and the awful acting by just about everyone (Ewan and Liam are ok with what they have to work with) and there is absolutely nothing believable throughout the prequels.  The especially painful "Noooooooo" that Vader unleashes is so laughable that it makes even the most redeeming prequel film a giant mistake as it completely fails to stick the landing and turns the iconic Vader into a comic relief character.

Many of the folks who hate the sequels grew up on the prequels and never had a problem with them.  That disconnect is so great and it shows that the Star Wars universe will forever be divided, both in story and out.  That's actually probably a good thing as both fanbases can be appealed to and appeased in the years to come and even the two halves will have casual viewers between both that will simply increase overall profits and ticket sales.  The OP suggest that the Star Wars universe is dead...wow, that's about the most incredibly backwards thesis I could ever imagine.  Sure, there isn't much hype in the universe right now, but that's also because we don't have anything to be hyped about yet.  Just wait until we get another teaser trailer and watch the internet go crazy, in all manner of ways, of course.

super_etecoon said:
invetedlotus123 said:

The very boring political intrigue in the prequels didn't match the tone of the original trilogy, but I could look past that if the main purpose of the prequels had done its job.  Jake Lloyd was an absolutely atrocious Anakin (Haley Joel Osment post-Sixth Sense would have made a much darker and better character...and it would have kept his career afloat), and Hayden Christensen is cringe at its finest. Even Natalie Portman is rendered a terrible stage actress having to vocalize the terrible dialogue that Lucas made her attempt to recite.  Add to this the fact that the prequels look too shiny and clean and really divert from the "lived in" look of teh original trilogy, the reliance on CGI as a character, and the awful acting by just about everyone (Ewan and Liam are ok with what they have to work with) and there is absolutely nothing believable throughout the prequels.  The especially painful "Noooooooo" that Vader unleashes is so laughable that it makes even the most redeeming prequel film a giant mistake as it completely fails to stick the landing and turns the iconic Vader into a comic relief character.

Many of the folks who hate the sequels grew up on the prequels and never had a problem with them.  That disconnect is so great and it shows that the Star Wars universe will forever be divided, both in story and out.  That's actually probably a good thing as both fanbases can be appealed to and appeased in the years to come and even the two halves will have casual viewers between both that will simply increase overall profits and ticket sales.  The OP suggest that the Star Wars universe is dead...wow, that's about the most incredibly backwards thesis I could ever imagine.  Sure, there isn't much hype in the universe right now, but that's also because we don't have anything to be hyped about yet.  Just wait until we get another teaser trailer and watch the internet go crazy, in all manner of ways, of course.

Well, I watched the prequels first and love the political tone. And I do look the original movies, but to me it's too "rebels take down an evil empire" vibe, whitout much thought about everything that is happening and too maniqueist. Rebel alliance = good guys, always doing the right moral choices and etc and empire = bad guys that just are bad and want power.

The prequels added depth to star wars lore as a political setting and showing the Empire was an evil force that came from a degenerated and corrupted republic. Rogue One showed us the rebels weren't an united organization and they did many questionable things, mostly because they had no other option in front of an evil empire, but they did nonetheless. 

The Mandalorian is showing us the galaxy post empire fall and how the new republic is pretty much a bad joke to the common folk. 

I think star wars grows when it goes off the way of Skywalker stuff. Leia and Solo stuff. I love the world building of the franchise. 

mZuzek said:
Who cares, anyway? It's still in the hands of Disney, and their shitty committees, decanonizing stuff isn't suddenly gonna make the next stuff they make any better. Everything they do at this point is just a desperate attempt at regaining the trust of the fanbase, including the last couple movies, that won't change. This franchise is dead, just accept it.

I've already accepted it, don't you worry

@super_etecoon. Everyone know that the prequels are flawed, but they're Star Wars, they're canon. They came from the mind of George Lucas, and that in and of itself means a lot.

The sequels are not star wars and never will be. They disregarded any input from George, any prior canon, and just did whatever they wanted, vandalising the series in the most vulgar way. They should be decanonized for the sake of the franchise, but I maintain no expectations of it actually happening.

Last edited by padib - on 10 July 2020

Around the Network

This entire rumor is just preposterous wishful thinking.

Not gonna happen, no matter how much some may wish it. What possible purpose could it serve to the franchise to basically ignore the sequel trilogy going forward, considering how much else they've tied into those movies? Does anyone actually expect them to make a new sequel trilogy or something else radical? And why would Disney invest considerable sums of money just to placate a vocal minority of fans who overreacted to what is and the end of the day a fantasy film? The sequel trilogy made a ton of money (yes, even Ep. 9), and the audience reception was not any worse than that of the prequels, and averaged maybe slightly better (obvious attempts at review bombing TLJ on RT notwithstanding). And The Mandalorian and the final season of The Clone Wars were successes, showing that the sequels didn't "kill" the franchise. The franchise is as popular and commercially viable as it's ever been. Disney has no real reason to do this.

Considering all the hate the prequels received 15-20 years ago (has it really been that long?), much of it the same in content and vehemence, it would not surprise me if there were people on online forums at the time hoping that Lucasfilm and Fox would decanonize the prequels. And if some fans did so, they clearly didn't get their wish. It's Star Wars. Nearly everything that wasn't part of the original versions of the original trilogy has been met with outrage (and there's probably still people that don't even particularly like Return of the Jedi). It's nothing new. Lucasfilm didn't completely overhaul the franchise in response to fan complaints in the past (even midichlorians are still canon), and they aren't going to do so now.

Rumour has it that Lucas Films wants to reboot the franchise entirely so they can take an MCU approach to the Clone Wars/Dark Times and not have to worry about recasting during the Prequel Era or Rebellion.

Some people say that Disney is on board, because redoing 11 movies is more lucrative than redoing 3.

Be careful what you wish for.

It's already bad enough that the sequel trilogies were so bad that I just kinda don't care anymore about the movies and am just sticking to books at this point. If they retcon and attempt to replace the sequel trilogies I might just have to wash my hands of the entire franchise. This would make those 3 movies a complete waste of my time.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Shadow1980 said:
Not gonna happen, no matter how much some may wish it. What possible purpose could it serve to the franchise to basically ignore the sequel trilogy going forward, considering how much else they've tied into those movies? Does anyone actually expect them to make a new sequel trilogy or something else radical? And why would Disney invest considerable sums of money just to placate a vocal minority of fans who overreacted to what is and the end of the day a fantasy film? The sequel trilogy made a ton of money (yes, even Ep. 9), and the audience reception was not any worse than that of the prequels, and averaged maybe slightly better (obvious attempts at review bombing TLJ on RT notwithstanding). And The Mandalorian and the final season of The Clone Wars were successes, showing that the sequels didn't "kill" the franchise. The franchise is as popular and commercially viable as it's ever been. Disney has no real reason to do this.

Considering all the hate the prequels received 15-20 years ago (has it really been that long?), much of it the same in content and vehemence, it would not surprise me if there were people on online forums at the time hoping that Lucasfilm and Fox would decanonize the prequels. And if some fans did so, they clearly didn't get their wish. It's Star Wars. Nearly everything that wasn't part of the original versions of the original trilogy has been met with outrage (and there's probably still people that don't even particularly like Return of the Jedi). It's nothing new. Lucasfilm didn't completely overhaul the franchise in response to fan complaints in the past (even midichlorians are still canon), and they aren't going to do so now.

It's not a real hope, and it doesn't really make a big difference. We're just talking.

The reality is that the sentiment of most fans is that the series was completely derailed by the sequels, in a desecration the prequels can't even scratch with their relative failure.

The franchise is still breathing, but the toys business the franchise was known for is essentially dead, we know this from the one main toy dealer that supplied SW toys. The mistake is a huge hole in Disney's pockets, and a serious insult to an icon of american culture.

The damage is done, and now we just watch star wars slowly revive and do what it was supposed to do in the first place. If the sequels are decanonized, it will allow the series freedom to disregard all the errors the sequels have injected into canon for those who come after to create content for it. It would be a symbolic step forward.