By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - RUMOR - A NEW Hope - Decanonization of the sequels possible

Should Lucasfilm decanonize the sequels

Yes 23 51.11%

No 19 42.22%

On the fence 3 6.67%

Total:45

Rumour has it that Lucas Films wants to reboot the franchise entirely so they can take an MCU approach to the Clone Wars/Dark Times and not have to worry about recasting during the Prequel Era or Rebellion.

Some people say that Disney is on board, because redoing 11 movies is more lucrative than redoing 3.

Be careful what you wish for.

Around the Network

It's already bad enough that the sequel trilogies were so bad that I just kinda don't care anymore about the movies and am just sticking to books at this point. If they retcon and attempt to replace the sequel trilogies I might just have to wash my hands of the entire franchise. This would make those 3 movies a complete waste of my time.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Hiku said:

Doesn't sound realistic. And I don't think it'll solve anything substantial anyway. Maybe Mark Hamill is too old to reprise his role again, or maybe he isn't. But Keri Fisher is gone, and I doubt Harrison Ford will consider doing it again.

And for an alternate timeline to occur, you'd usually involve time travel. I don't think I want to see that element added to Star Wars. Might as well prevent Anakin from turning to the dark side, instead of just stopping Palpatine from surviving then.

I would kinda love saving Anakin from turnig to the dark side and letting him raise Luke and Leia in peace. I bet most fans wouldn't like such a thing, though. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Just make something new without having to cling to old characters or villians.

I don't know why people are so upset with 7-9 but accept 1-3 so readily just because George Lucas did it.

Guess what they sucked hard too, and guess what Lucas sold out by selling the franchise to Disney, therefore it is flawless logic to say ignore it all as Lucas isn't involved as he chose not to be.

Makes you wonder what 4-6 would have turned out like if Lucas had access to much better technology. Would it still resemble 4-6 but better effects, or would it be closer to 1-3.

Around the Network

But what will we do if the scene of Luke drinking green alien titty milk is forever erased?

Interesting.. Well they're already not considered canon to me. They feel utterly pointless for the most part - not to mention largely diminish the impact of the original trilogy (despite the efforts of our hereos the empire just comes back in full force - and even stronger actually - in just 40 years anyway!)

Honestly aside from the visuals I truly feel Disney could not have screwed up such a popular franchise up any more if they tried.. How does a major studio botch such a massive property like this? Truly baffling to me..

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 12 July 2020

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

NightlyPoe said:
super_etecoon said:

Jake Lloyd was an absolutely atrocious Anakin (Haley Joel Osment post-Sixth Sense would have made a much darker and better character...and it would have kept his career afloat)

That would require some time travel considering that The Sixth Sense came out months after The Phantom Menace and was filmed over a year later.

Talk about an anachronistic fail on my part.  You're absolutely right.  I was working at a video store at the time and I do remember having many conversations with customers at the time about that having been a possibility, but of course this was well after the release of both films and I just remember feeling like Lucas had lost an opportunity.  But whether Osment would have been ready the full year and a half before release, or whether he had even been known is quite debatable as you point out.

I still stand by my opinion, however, that Osment would have been a much better casting choice.

Sorry what's decanonize?

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

StokedUp said:
Sorry what's decanonize?

Essentially it would mean that as a Star Wars viewer you would basically forget these films existed.  They would not be part of the official lore.  The bible, for instance, has had many books removed from it over time, and they are no longer part of the official canon of the bible and therefore aren't included in the King James version of the bible.  They still were at one point in time part of the original text, but time (or voting) has removed them from what would be considered "official."  Sorry to use such a significant piece of history or literature as my example, but you can see then the power that decanonization can have on history, even for something as far reaching as a religious testament.