By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer confident after seeing PS5 presentation - Gamelab 2020 interview

How do you think MS will perform at the July presentation?

MS will be in a league of its own 5 6.25%

MS will do better than the PS5 presentation 14 17.50%

MS will do as good as the PS5 presentation 13 16.25%

MS will do less well than... 48 60.00%

Total:80
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

It certainly didn’t help when multiplats are 90%+ of a consoles library. Why would you pay more for weaker multiplats? We aren’t the average Joe, we are the forum dwellers that put more thought in our hobby. I don’t care what they think, tell me what you personally think. In this regard I simply can’t overlook the changing priorities between gens.

For slow paced 3rd person games sure I see the value in capping at 30. But at least with next gen 4K should a target. Being ok with less is changing the narrative and/or settling for less in my opinion. Personally I’m excited to see 4K/60  be a standard for next gen for Xbox. Makes me feel like we getting the next step.

But even then you have a game like Gears 5 which was 60fps and looked gorgeous. Played butter smooth and had some very beautiful set pieces and vistas. I will say that other people mentioned an option of choosing 4K/30 FPS or Dynamic/60 FPS is a good idea and that should be a staple. Hellblade was one such game that offered it. 

For other genres it’s night and day. Halo 5 and MCC compared to the 360 Halos at 30fps....damn I feel like I was playing gimped versions compared to 60fps. Same goes for fighters and racers. I think better gameplay takes priority over slightly better visuals. We aren’t casuals, we should have discerning tastes that rise above the masses need for purdy pictures. 

Point being of a dev can make a next gen game look beautiful and target 4K/60 FPS, that would be ideal right? Of course it would be. 

If you want to have 4k60fps as standard and if MS follows that you better be ready to have XSX games looking substantially inferior to the ones on PS5 when a dev like ND decides to push the envelope to the limit and choose 1440p30fps, because XSX doesn't have that much higher power to have better visuals while doing twice framerate and twice pixel count.

True that, and its exactly why the Series X's May event got so much crap. Everything they showed was targeting 4k/60fps and it didn't leave much room for improving overall fidelity compared to current gen. 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

It certainly didn’t help when multiplats are 90%+ of a consoles library. Why would you pay more for weaker multiplats? We aren’t the average Joe, we are the forum dwellers that put more thought in our hobby. I don’t care what they think, tell me what you personally think. In this regard I simply can’t overlook the changing priorities between gens.

For slow paced 3rd person games sure I see the value in capping at 30. But at least with next gen 4K should a target. Being ok with less is changing the narrative and/or settling for less in my opinion. Personally I’m excited to see 4K/60  be a standard for next gen for Xbox. Makes me feel like we getting the next step.

But even then you have a game like Gears 5 which was 60fps and looked gorgeous. Played butter smooth and had some very beautiful set pieces and vistas. I will say that other people mentioned an option of choosing 4K/30 FPS or Dynamic/60 FPS is a good idea and that should be a staple. Hellblade was one such game that offered it. 

For other genres it’s night and day. Halo 5 and MCC compared to the 360 Halos at 30fps....damn I feel like I was playing gimped versions compared to 60fps. Same goes for fighters and racers. I think better gameplay takes priority over slightly better visuals. We aren’t casuals, we should have discerning tastes that rise above the masses need for purdy pictures. 

Point being of a dev can make a next gen game look beautiful and target 4K/60 FPS, that would be ideal right? Of course it would be. 

If you want to have 4k60fps as standard and if MS follows that you better be ready to have XSX games looking substantially inferior to the ones on PS5 when a dev like ND decides to push the envelope to the limit and choose 1440p30fps, because XSX doesn't have that much higher power to have better visuals while doing twice framerate and twice pixel count.

I think you are exaggerating. As long as they look better then the best of the best this gen then it’s a upgrade. Not like we gonna get 360 levels of graphics to hit those benchmarks. Like I said of Gears 5 looks like one of the best games this gen at 60fps then I am hopeful. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Mordred11 said:

People who think Microsoft will "do better" with their July presentation are vastly underestimating what Sony did. There is nothing MS can show that will generate more buzz. Maybe only something impossible like GTA6 being time-exclusive for a year. Not happening.
     The PS5 presentation was some avengers endgame levels of buzz, regardless of the 1% of people who thought "it wasn't anything special and that MS can easily do better".

See that’s my concern that many gamers who use Ps as their primary console won’t be impressed no matter what. The brand power is so strong that ultimately it comes down to “Sony good Ms bad”. 

For one if anything was multiplat I don’t think it’s fair to give Sony credit for that if Series X can play them too.

Otherwise their big guns can be summed up as Horizon, Spiderman MM, Ratchet, GT7, Demon Souls, Returnal. 6 games. Smaller games like Sackboy and Destruction All Stars. 2 there so that’s 8. I’ll give them credit in that waiting this long makes it all announced at once a pretty amazing experience. No wonder it was such a hit.

That said MS has been announcing games all year. Halo Infinite, Hellblade 2, Everwild, Grounded, Project Mara. That’s 5 games to Sony’s 8 and their July conference didn’t even happen yet. Allready we know Forza 8 is the answer to GT7. I’m going to pay very close attention to the reactions on here/Twitter. Not to games like Halo and Forza, figure people are more interested in AAA games Xbox doesn’t normally do. In that regard well see where people stand. 

You missed Astro's Playroom wink wink.

goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

True that, and its exactly why the Series X's May event got so much crap. Everything they showed was targeting 4k/60fps and it didn't leave much room for improving overall fidelity compared to current gen. 

I think it have more to do with the dev competency than the target resolution.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

I think you are exaggerating. As long as they look better then the best of the best this gen then it’s a upgrade. Not like we gonna get 360 levels of graphics to hit those benchmarks. Like I said of Gears 5 looks like one of the best games this gen at 60fps then I am hopeful. 

I'm sure it will be an upgrade, no doubts about that. What I am saying is when comparing both PS5 and XSX. If MS games are 4k60fps the overall graphical will be inferior on looks compared to a 1440p (upscalled with temporal reconstruction) and 30fps because XSX is only 10-20% stronger, so it can't really have twice the pixels, twice the framerate and still have more effects and other elements.

I used to think the resolution was the most important aspect, but after several CGI threads I saw other important aspects for IQ and seem cases where it is good to sacrifice resolution to get better IQ. No doubt that for multiplats if both system devs choose same pixel count and framerate XSX have the potential to look better. But on exclusives, and that is were Sony have been showing better graphics since PS3, if they go for lower framerate and pixel count they will have better looking games. Will that be noticeable enough for most people? Not sure. Will it be more important than 60fps? For some yes, for others nope. But for my taste it probably aligns better and for yours Xbox will have it better.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I wonder if those banging on about native 4K 60 fps having to be the standard, also only watch movies and tv shows on 4K blu-ray with high end frame interpolation. Streaming 4K is worse than 1440p checkerboarded, so must be unwatchable.

I stuck with blu-ray, simply don't see the benefits of 4K from the couch. Blu-ray does look significantly better than 1080p streaming, often on par with 4K streaming yet as long as you don't pause the movie and walk up to the screen to count the pixels, I don't notice.

60fps vs 30fps, another 'waste' for many titles. Stability and low input lag is more important than actual frame count. But for some genres, shooters, racing, VR, 60 fps is definitely better. Flight simulator and Age of Empires 4 could be 20 fps for all I care.

Anyway I wonder what happens when Lockhart becomes the majority console. The pro versions didn't catch on this gen, so chances are the cheaper console will become the dominant one and will also become the one to develop for, leaving the XSX with options to run the same game in quality mode native 4K, or performance mode 60fps or 120fps. Which is what a lot of people seem to want anyway, but in the end games will be made for a 4tf console and 7.5GB ram.

Don: I agree with everything you said. Just that we’ve been taking about hitting the fabled 4K/60 for several years. I mean industry leaders as well as hopeful gamers. Now we on the cusp of it and it looks like MS is the only one actually trying to hit it and others are seemingly backing away from it.

It strikes me as odd to say the least given how both factions cared so much about pushing both in the past

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Don: I agree with everything you said. Just that we’ve been taking about hitting the fabled 4K/60 for several years. I mean industry leaders as well as hopeful gamers. Now we on the cusp of it and it looks like MS is the only one actually trying to hit it and others are seemingly backing away from it.

It strikes me as odd to say the least given how both factions cared so much about pushing both in the past

You're essentially halving performance when targeting 60fps. The games that are going all out on visuals will go 30FPS. And that will be the majority of major devs. Thinking you'll see the majority next games at 60fps is frankly quite optimistic and I dare say naive. With raytracing you can forget 4K 60. Not even RTX 2080 Ti can handle that on current gen games. Just look at Cyberpunk 2077, that demo was running on a high end PC with RT @1080P.

I would bet big money that the next GTA will be 4k 30. Its by design and up for developers, unless you just want an evolutionary jump from last generation. With more pixels and effects.

Last edited by hinch - on 30 June 2020

Mordred11 said:

People who think Microsoft will "do better" with their July presentation are vastly underestimating what Sony did. There is nothing MS can show that will generate more buzz. Maybe only something impossible like GTA6 being time-exclusive for a year. Not happening.
     The PS5 presentation was some avengers endgame levels of buzz, regardless of the 1% of people who thought "it wasn't anything special and that MS can easily do better".

Thats the thing. I dont care about buzz or what anyone else thinks about either presentation. For me, I wasnt impressed with the ps5 presentation and Microsoft can "do better" pretty easily to appeal TO ME. At the end of the day, that is all that matters to each individual person.

sales2099 said:

Never cared for 60fps. But you are right. We even had one Sony figure head saying "give me 60fps or give me death", I think he is still alive even with Sony not putting many 60fps games at all =p

And sure I think it would be fine to allow gamers three toggles (at least), resolution, framerate, effects. So people can choose what is the best option for them. And with Series S on the way it is quite possible that we get it, just hope that the stronger consoles don't get the same low effort that they got gen 8.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:

Who ever said 4k/60fps is the holy grail of gaming? I remember playing games like Far Cry 3 in 4k back in 2012 on a GTX970. It's not like 4k and 60fps is something completely new. It's just that it's hard to do with more demanding games.

I have to say things are a bit confusing now that Lockhart seems to really be a 4Tflops next gen console. If that is the case, developers could target it as the base console and all of those 12Tflops can be used for little more than just a boost in resolution and framerate. I just pray to the gaming gods that isn't the case and that Lockhart will be more like the ps5 digital only console. 

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Who ever said 4k/60fps is the holy grail of gaming? I remember playing games like Far Cry 3 in 4k back in 2012 on a GTX970. It's not like 4k and 60fps is something completely new. It's just that it's hard to do with more demanding games.

I have to say things are a bit confusing now that Lockhart seems to really be a 4Tflops next gen console. If that is the case, developers could target it as the base console and all of those 12Tflops can be used for little more than just a boost in resolution and framerate. I just pray to the gaming gods that isn't the case and that Lockhart will be more like the ps5 digital only console. 

You really can’t chime in with “I’m a pc gamer” when this was clearly something console gamers and console industry leaders were predicting to come with great excitement. 

I’m not gonna have this endless debate with you on the second paragraph. You firmly stuck in your beliefs so we gotta see the proof when it comes. We all know Lockhart will sacrifice specs for price so you can pray to your gods for something else you can thank me later :)