Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer confident after seeing PS5 presentation - Gamelab 2020 interview

How do you think MS will perform at the July presentation?

MS will be in a league of its own 5 6.58%

MS will do better than the PS5 presentation 14 18.42%

MS will do as good as the PS5 presentation 13 17.11%

MS will do less well than... 44 57.89%

Total:76
shikamaru317 said:
KratosLives said:
And still the focus is not on more exclusives, but clouds, subscription models and competing with google . This will be the demise all over again

How is the focus not on more exclusives? They have more 1st party studios and teams than they have ever had at any point in their 20 year history as a gaming company. 15 studios and somewhere around 22 or more individual teams within those 15 studios. Plus they have numerous 2nd party games in development through Xbox Global Publishing.

They have always had studios working on games, dating back to the glorious original xbox days, but not much variety in quality came out of it. They can buy all they want, but from the statements spencer has made leading up to now,  they seem to have other priorities on top. So i still stand by my comment. I'd love it if they can compete with nintendo and sony on first part games and exclusives, and pump out killer AAA hits. Hopefully this is the majoirity of their big studio games, and not just smaller AA titles. 

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
PotentHerbs said:

Xbox is targeting 4K/60FPS which is different from actually hitting those requirements. Even Polyphony Digital is targeting 120FPS. I still think most developers will optimize for 4K/30FPS. The best case scenario is we get a performance mode like Bluepoint is doing with DeS remake (4K/30FPS or 1440P/60FPS). 

The Xbox One X had the power crown since 2017 yet the mainstream & commercial success of the console didn't change. Of course, gamers are still entrenched with higher TF and frame rate, but considering a game like TLOU: Part II is arguably the best looking console game on the weaker machine, it will ultimately fall on the developers to maximise each system.  

It might take years for the consoles to reach its potential, but as it stands, SIE has already proven they can do more with less compared to XGS. As for RT, doesn't that impact performance? I mean, look at Minecraft, a title that isn't that demanding, with full RT it is at 1080P. 

Exactly, 4k and 60fps are nice buzz words but in the end people don't care about them at all when they're playing a game. TLOU2 Is a way more visually impressive game than Gears, for example. Even though TLOU2 runs in 30fps and Gears 5 at 60fps.

Sony will have games that are targeting 30fps and run in 1440p (or checkerboard rendering) and they will likely look way more impressive than a Series X game running at 4k/60fps. Hell even a RTX2080 is already struggling to hit a steady 60fps at 4k with current gen games, which means there won't be much juice left on Series X for boosting overall visual fidelity.

So essentially think the masses want pretty pictures instead of smoother gameplay. That said games like Gears 5 are no slouch on the graphics front. Each has a trade off but to me 30fps is hardly next gen, I think we’ve been plying games locked to it for far too long. 

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Exactly, 4k and 60fps are nice buzz words but in the end people don't care about them at all when they're playing a game. TLOU2 Is a way more visually impressive game than Gears, for example. Even though TLOU2 runs in 30fps and Gears 5 at 60fps.

Sony will have games that are targeting 30fps and run in 1440p (or checkerboard rendering) and they will likely look way more impressive than a Series X game running at 4k/60fps. Hell even a RTX2080 is already struggling to hit a steady 60fps at 4k with current gen games, which means there won't be much juice left on Series X for boosting overall visual fidelity.

So essentially think the masses want pretty pictures instead of smoother gameplay. That said games like Gears 5 are no slouch on the graphics front. Each has a trade off but to me 30fps is hardly next gen, I think we’ve been plying games locked to it for far too long. 

Devs who know how to do 30fps properly can indeed create smooth gameplay. That has been very evident this gen. 

As long as their are graphics that can be pushed, ideas that can be fully explored, AI that can be more advanced, compromises will be made in the frames department. That's reality.

The question comes down to whether studios are going to be willing to allow different modes, like we've seen on PS4 Pro (no idea on Xbox so can't comment to that) where a user can choose between heightened graphics or higher frames. So far we know Demon's Souls will allow this. This is ideally what will happen, so users can choose what they want.

twintail said:
sales2099 said:

Devs who know how to do 30fps properly can indeed create smooth gameplay. That has been very evident this gen. 

As long as their are graphics that can be pushed, ideas that can be fully explored, AI that can be more advanced, compromises will be made in the frames department. That's reality.

The question comes down to whether studios are going to be willing to allow different modes, like we've seen on PS4 Pro (no idea on Xbox so can't comment to that) where a user can choose between heightened graphics or higher frames. So far we know Demon's Souls will allow this. This is ideally what will happen, so users can choose what they want.

For me the 1st party from Sony mostly played very smoothly. And even the ones that weren't smooth I hadn't real issues. I think the last game I remember seeing problems on smoothness was FFXV.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Doesn't MS have a new studio that is developing the first AAAA (4) game ever? I'm really curious what that game will look like that justifies it being in its own league. Sounds expensive!

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
People don’t care about resolution or frame rate when playing a game? LOL what am I reading

Also give me 60fps campaign over 30 any day of the week, thanks. Much more impressive, much more responsive.

quite a 360 of opinion from last gen isn't it?

At the start of this gen it was a disgrace if one console had even a tiny resolution difference. If only we’d known back then that no one actually cares about resolution or frame rate when playing a game. 

What a silly thing to say. Plus it’s a contradiction. People who are ok with 30 frames are usually ok with it because they know it means better graphics. Yet these people wouldn’t care about resolution? Just look at the people saying Sony games are ok at 30 frames in this very thread. If LoU2 could look as good at 60, they’d love 60. But it wouldn’t look as good, so they’re ok with 30. But resolution? Ah who cares.

Dulfite said:
Doesn't MS have a new studio that is developing the first AAAA (4) game ever? I'm really curious what that game will look like that justifies it being in its own league. Sounds expensive!

Theoretically Metro's studio is 4A, and if we look at R* games they are above and beyond the expenses of most games.

RDR2 had 3000 people involved in the creation of the game, it is possibly quite close to the sum of devs inside XGS =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Dulfite said:

Dlala Studios. The game is Battletoads 

rapsuperstar31 said:
zero129 said:

I guess all them studios MS brought must be working on the cloud then.

I haven't paid too much attention, who did they buy of note?  Ninja Theory is terrible in my opinion, I enjoyed Heavenly Sword and thought it was the best looking game at the time, but thought Hellblade was garbage.  Double Fine is fine, but more of an indie developer.  Obsidian Entertainment I do like, Fallout and Outer World were fun, I will give you them as a plus.  Microsoft's exclusives do not hold a candle with the majority of gamers to Nintendo of Sony.  Yes there are Microsoft loyalist that will argue, and if racing and shooters are your cup of tea the system is a good choice.  When the Playstation 3 was losing to the 360, Sony didn't give up and doubled down on awesome first party games.  Xbox flat out gave up this generation. (which admittedly Nintendo did with the Wii U as well) 

Opinions. Funny thing everyone has one .

LudicrousSpeed said:
Dulfite said:

Dlala Studios. The game is Battletoads 

Battletoads is supposed to be AAAA?