Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer confident after seeing PS5 presentation - Gamelab 2020 interview

How do you think MS will perform at the July presentation?

MS will be in a league of its own 5 6.58%
 
MS will do better than the PS5 presentation 14 18.42%
 
MS will do as good as the PS5 presentation 13 17.11%
 
MS will do less well than... 44 57.89%
 
Total:76

I just wanna shoot people at even odds and not blame pc gamers for having an advantage

edit: noticed i missed the bolded

Last edited by kirby007 - 4 days ago

 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I watched the Xbox SX first look a few days ago (bought a new Samsung and was looking for impressive 4k videos to watch) and it really wasn't that bad. It just lacked the sizzle that Sony's show had. With some good ideas and some good gameplay, M$ could be set to impress. The ball's in their court.

I know that you made a thread about the next xbox presentation, and my thread's title is in tune with the video but to be honest there is a lot discussed in the video. What do you think of MS's strategy overall, talking about gamepass, All Access, them seeking immersion at high frame rates, their desire to respect the history of the industry, xcloud and its use during COVID, do you also think that MS is in the right direction, and evolved nicely from their first big innovation that was Xbox Live, then Xbox Live Arcade? How do you feel they are influencing the industry that way, and do you also see that their influence is underrated, like I do?



Trumpstyle said:
Microsoft need to hype up their next-gen console, for us playstation gamers, Spiderman: Miles Morales and Horizon zero dawn 2 brings much hype.

What does Xbox have?

The obvious answer is to hold judgment until the July event. 

Luckily MS has announced several games before hand. Halo Infinite, Everwild, Grounded, Hellblade 2, Project Mara. 5 games and each a different genre. Hopefully we see something from each game. 

We know the next Forza Motorsport and Horizon is in development. Obsidian and Playground are making a AAA RPG each. The Initiative is a unproven studio but expected to reveal their first AAA title. 

A-AA studios are expected to make announcements like Undead Labs, Compulsion, and Double Fine. 

And I can’t stress enough Halo Infinite’s launch goes hand in hand with Series X. It’s marketing, when it kicks in, will be a sight to see. It’s a 5 year game as opposed to 3 with the purpose to drive console sales and Game Pass subs. All signs point to it being the biggest game by far in the series and one of the most expensive games ever made. 



 

 

sales2099 said:
Trumpstyle said:
Microsoft need to hype up their next-gen console, for us playstation gamers, Spiderman: Miles Morales and Horizon zero dawn 2 brings much hype.

What does Xbox have?

The obvious answer is to hold judgment until the July event. 

Luckily MS has announced several games before hand. Halo Infinite, Everwild, Grounded, Hellblade 2, Project Mara. 5 games and each a different genre. Hopefully we see something from each game. 

We know the next Forza Motorsport and Horizon is in development. Obsidian and Playground are making a AAA RPG each. The Initiative is a unproven studio but expected to reveal their first AAA title. 

A-AA studios are expected to make announcements like Undead Labs, Compulsion, and Double Fine. 

And I can’t stress enough Halo Infinite’s launch goes hand in hand with Series X. It’s marketing, when it kicks in, will be a sight to see. It’s a 5 year game as opposed to 3 with the purpose to drive console sales and Game Pass subs. All signs point to it being the biggest game by far in the series and one of the most expensive games ever made. 

How would MS presentation in July be more impressive and generate more hype IF they only showed gameplay for the games that were already revealed?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

padib said:
d21lewis said:
I watched the Xbox SX first look a few days ago (bought a new Samsung and was looking for impressive 4k videos to watch) and it really wasn't that bad. It just lacked the sizzle that Sony's show had. With some good ideas and some good gameplay, M$ could be set to impress. The ball's in their court.

I know that you made a thread about the next xbox presentation, and my thread's title is in tune with the video but to be honest there is a lot discussed in the video. What do you think of MS's strategy overall, talking about gamepass, All Access, them seeking immersion at high frame rates, their desire to respect the history of the industry, xcloud and its use during COVID, do you also think that MS is in the right direction, and evolved nicely from their first big innovation that was Xbox Live, then Xbox Live Arcade? How do you feel they are influencing the industry that way, and do you also see that their influence is underrated, like I do?

I'm actually at work right now but I'll watch the video in the op. I'll gladly give my opinion in a few hours. Without that info, I think Microsoft has done a really good job adding great features...that most people don't seem to care about--but I really enjoy. Especially their use of cloud saves.

They're super innovative but they need a game changer to make a dent in Sony's reputation. I don't have anything to back it up but I think they could have an ace up their sleeve. Early in the 360 dates, they had Netflix, 1 vs 100, Achievements, custom soundtracks, and probably a few things I'm forgetting. Unfortunately for them, they either stopped supporting good ideas or Sony was able to add the same thing to their machine.

They need an innovation that can't easily be copied.

*And for the record, Sony had some great ideas, too. For example, I loved using the PS3 browser and downloading music and movies.



mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

Around the Network
zero129 said:
KratosLives said:
And still the focus is not on more exclusives, but clouds, subscription models and competing with google . This will be the demise all over again

I guess all them studios MS brought must be working on the cloud then.

I haven't paid too much attention, who did they buy of note?  Ninja Theory is terrible in my opinion, I enjoyed Heavenly Sword and thought it was the best looking game at the time, but thought Hellblade was garbage.  Double Fine is fine, but more of an indie developer.  Obsidian Entertainment I do like, Fallout and Outer World were fun, I will give you them as a plus.  Microsoft's exclusives do not hold a candle with the majority of gamers to Nintendo of Sony.  Yes there are Microsoft loyalist that will argue, and if racing and shooters are your cup of tea the system is a good choice.  When the Playstation 3 was losing to the 360, Sony didn't give up and doubled down on awesome first party games.  Xbox flat out gave up this generation. (which admittedly Nintendo did with the Wii U as well) 



DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

The obvious answer is to hold judgment until the July event. 

Luckily MS has announced several games before hand. Halo Infinite, Everwild, Grounded, Hellblade 2, Project Mara. 5 games and each a different genre. Hopefully we see something from each game. 

We know the next Forza Motorsport and Horizon is in development. Obsidian and Playground are making a AAA RPG each. The Initiative is a unproven studio but expected to reveal their first AAA title. 

A-AA studios are expected to make announcements like Undead Labs, Compulsion, and Double Fine. 

And I can’t stress enough Halo Infinite’s launch goes hand in hand with Series X. It’s marketing, when it kicks in, will be a sight to see. It’s a 5 year game as opposed to 3 with the purpose to drive console sales and Game Pass subs. All signs point to it being the biggest game by far in the series and one of the most expensive games ever made. 

How would MS presentation in July be more impressive and generate more hype IF they only showed gameplay for the games that were already revealed?

IF they only showed gameplay of Halo Infinite, Everwild, Grounded, Hellblade 2, Project Mara? Well we know these 5 exist but haven’t seen how they play except Grounded. Also some games aren’t even on people’s radar...do the majority of gamers outside Xbox fan bases aware a game like Project Mara exist? Doubtful. A small gameplay demo for each will go a long way to elevate these games from unknowns to selling points for the brand.

That said we know they will reveal more games beyond those 5 so I’m not worried. 



 

 

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

The obvious answer is to hold judgment until the July event. 

Luckily MS has announced several games before hand. Halo Infinite, Everwild, Grounded, Hellblade 2, Project Mara. 5 games and each a different genre. Hopefully we see something from each game. 

We know the next Forza Motorsport and Horizon is in development. Obsidian and Playground are making a AAA RPG each. The Initiative is a unproven studio but expected to reveal their first AAA title. 

A-AA studios are expected to make announcements like Undead Labs, Compulsion, and Double Fine. 

And I can’t stress enough Halo Infinite’s launch goes hand in hand with Series X. It’s marketing, when it kicks in, will be a sight to see. It’s a 5 year game as opposed to 3 with the purpose to drive console sales and Game Pass subs. All signs point to it being the biggest game by far in the series and one of the most expensive games ever made. 

How would MS presentation in July be more impressive and generate more hype IF they only showed gameplay for the games that were already revealed?

not like we didn't know what games Sony would present LMAO



 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

VAMatt said:
I'll probably give it a watch.

The reality is that MS is the biggest innovator in the industry right now. It's not clear to me that they're making all of the right moves. But, they are trying. And, really, they're the best positioned to do so. They have massively deep pockets, so that can, if they want, bring literally any idea to life. Also, while they certainly have had success in gaming, they have the least to lose and most to gain among the big three. So, I'd say that they're doing exactly what gaming needs them to do. They're filling their role perfectly.

I personally love it when MS is playing catch and not the lead or behind.  That is when MS is at their most dangerous or you could say better self.  I continue to hope that MS trails behind Nintendo and Sony but still be successful because they will continue to rock the boat and bring their brand of innovations to the market to compete.  From what I can see both Sony and MS have been slapped in the face and came out on the other side better, Nintendo is still Nintendo but they will need to step up sooner as well.



kirby007 said:
DonFerrari said:

How would MS presentation in July be more impressive and generate more hype IF they only showed gameplay for the games that were already revealed?

not like we didn't know what games Sony would present LMAO

I didn’t think of it like that myself. People predicted Horizon and GT7 before the event and that didn’t diminish their hype in the slightest when we finally saw them in action. Great point.