By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer confident after seeing PS5 presentation - Gamelab 2020 interview

How do you think MS will perform at the July presentation?

MS will be in a league of its own 5 6.25%

MS will do better than the PS5 presentation 14 17.50%

MS will do as good as the PS5 presentation 13 16.25%

MS will do less well than... 48 60.00%

Total:80

Doesn't MS have a new studio that is developing the first AAAA (4) game ever? I'm really curious what that game will look like that justifies it being in its own league. Sounds expensive!

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
People don’t care about resolution or frame rate when playing a game? LOL what am I reading

Also give me 60fps campaign over 30 any day of the week, thanks. Much more impressive, much more responsive.

quite a 360 of opinion from last gen isn't it?

At the start of this gen it was a disgrace if one console had even a tiny resolution difference. If only we’d known back then that no one actually cares about resolution or frame rate when playing a game. 

What a silly thing to say. Plus it’s a contradiction. People who are ok with 30 frames are usually ok with it because they know it means better graphics. Yet these people wouldn’t care about resolution? Just look at the people saying Sony games are ok at 30 frames in this very thread. If LoU2 could look as good at 60, they’d love 60. But it wouldn’t look as good, so they’re ok with 30. But resolution? Ah who cares.

Dulfite said:
Doesn't MS have a new studio that is developing the first AAAA (4) game ever? I'm really curious what that game will look like that justifies it being in its own league. Sounds expensive!

Theoretically Metro's studio is 4A, and if we look at R* games they are above and beyond the expenses of most games.

RDR2 had 3000 people involved in the creation of the game, it is possibly quite close to the sum of devs inside XGS =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Dulfite said:

Dlala Studios. The game is Battletoads 

LudicrousSpeed said:
Dulfite said:

Battletoads is supposed to be AAAA?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Battletoads is supposed to be AAAA?

16k resolution, 240 fps, USES unreal Engine 8, requires 32 teraflops to run and 160 gigs of dedicated DDR7 RAM. It's a 1 terabyte download (with 500 gigs of DLC).

kirby007 said:
goopy20 said:

Exactly, 4k and 60fps are nice buzz words but in the end people don't care about them at all when they're playing a game. TLOU2 Is a way more visually impressive game than Gears, for example. Even though TLOU2 runs in 30fps and Gears 5 at 60fps.

Sony will have games that are targeting 30fps and run in 1440p (or checkerboard rendering) and they will likely look way more impressive than a Series X game running at 4k/60fps. Hell even a RTX2080 is already struggling to hit a steady 60fps at 4k with current gen games, which means there won't be much juice left on Series X for boosting overall visual fidelity.

this is so stupid that it isn't even funny, ofcourse if you need less resources you can put it in other parts, but that doesn't mean a fps plays better with 30fps vs 60fps
hell if i want a good looking story i might aswell go to the cinema and watch 8k content @24fps

It all depends man. Sure, for some games like fast paced FPS or racing games 60fps can be important. But did anyone complain about games like BOTW, GTA5, RDR2, GOW, TLOU2 etc. because they're not 60fps? If we're talking about next gen consoles, I'm pretty sure most people would pick a generational leap in overall visual fidelity and immersion over playing the same games we're playing now in 120fps. 

If 60fps and 4k were that important, why did so few upgrade to a mid-gen console? And why did the UE5 tech demo got everybody excited when it was just running in 30fps?

Last edited by goopy20 - on 30 June 2020

LudicrousSpeed said:
kirby007 said:

quite a 360 of opinion from last gen isn't it?

At the start of this gen it was a disgrace if one console had even a tiny resolution difference. If only we’d known back then that no one actually cares about resolution or frame rate when playing a game. 

What a silly thing to say. Plus it’s a contradiction. People who are ok with 30 frames are usually ok with it because they know it means better graphics. Yet these people wouldn’t care about resolution? Just look at the people saying Sony games are ok at 30 frames in this very thread. If LoU2 could look as good at 60, they’d love 60. But it wouldn’t look as good, so they’re ok with 30. But resolution? Ah who cares.

MAybe it was a disgrace on forums or people who watch DF comparison videos. But did people really care that games like Halo 4/5 were 720p? Truth is, loads of people like the idea of 4k, 60fps but once they play a game, they won't be able to tell the difference. Like Phil says, its more a feeling while visual fidelity is something that's instantly noticeable. 

I have played some games in 120fps on my gsync monitor and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. I did notice how my games looked like hot garbage because I had to turn all settings to low to hit that 120fps, though.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 30 June 2020

LudicrousSpeed said:
People don’t care about resolution or frame rate when playing a game? LOL what am I reading

Also give me 60fps campaign over 30 any day of the week, thanks. Much more impressive, much more responsive.

Okay, then tell me which are the best games you played this gen and how many of them were in 60fps? 

zero129 said:
Dulfite said:

16k resolution, 240 fps, USES unreal Engine 8, requires 32 teraflops to run and 160 gigs of dedicated DDR7 RAM. It's a 1 terabyte download (with 500 gigs of DLC).

^^ The Future xD.

The visual clarity sucks in the future then.

Green enemies + flesh toned/brown (when the toads should be one colour pallet and enemies another).
Flat enemies? skinny arsed enemys hard to notice? enemies climbing ontop of one another.

Visually the combat seems so confused compaired to the simplisty and style the orginal had.

They also overly complicated the combat right?
makeing it more akin to playing a fighting game, but its not supposed to be a battletoads that plays like street fighter, its supposed to have simple combat.