By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer confident after seeing PS5 presentation - Gamelab 2020 interview

How do you think MS will perform at the July presentation?

MS will be in a league of its own 5 6.25%

MS will do better than the PS5 presentation 14 17.50%

MS will do as good as the PS5 presentation 13 16.25%

MS will do less well than... 48 60.00%

Total:80
DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9153119

There you are excited about a rumor of GT7 in 2020. You weren’t trying to say it wasn’t coming or it was too soon. The event thread also has a couple people predicting GT7 and Horizon 2 and a lot of Demons Soul as well. 

Don’t try to change history to suit a narrative, please. I’m not going to bother digging through tons of threads because this forum has trash search functionality but I quickly went 2/2 there including a quote from you yourself. 

The bottom line is Horizon 2, Spider-Man, and GT7 were all extremely rumored and expected titles to be shown off and people were still happy to see them. 

I was pretty sure and was right, even said on the reveal that I was right and who was doubting was wrong. Still the game hadn't been leaked or revealed before the event the most we got was a possible tease with 7 cars some days before the event.

Precious that you compare rumour with reveals

The only thing I am comparing is what people expected to be revealed versus what actually was. You said it had been years since Sony revealed any titles and they could show a lot. You had no problem believing that GT7 could not only be shown at the Sony event but launch this year. So it’s weird that now you’re trying to paint this narrative that most people believed Sony would have nothing to show. Everyone knew Horizon and Spider-Man and GT were going to be shown. The only real surprises were the smaller titles like the Rocket League type game and Sackboy and the pack in demo etc.

You asked how a MS event could generate hype by showing gameplay of already known titles but you yourself got super hyped from a Sony event that showcased games you knew were coming. Kirby and sales were right to point that out and none of us are surprised by the double standard. 

To answer your question, it doesn’t really matter if you think or even know a game will be there, seeing it in action is still special and still gets the hype going. Especially something like Halo or Forza Horizon or a new Perfect Dark. Just like you knew Horizon 2 would be at the Sony event but seeing it was still probably special. 

Have we even seen any actual gameplay from a MS first party title on XSX? 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
MS is going to need a lot to top the PS5 reveal.

The metrics, in terms of viewership & social media engagement, shattered records. The critical acclaim of SIE compared to XGS is leagues apart even with all the studio acquisitions. The commercial success of PS4 exclusives is reaching Nintendo level of success. If the TF difference isn't distinguishable without a side by side comparison, than the SSD will continue to get all the next gen hype, since world design and load times are lot more noticeable without a comparison.

MS doesn't need to top Sony event and I doubt whatever they show will actually do it unless they are releasing all their top guns first year of the XSX release.  Instead MS must show quality AAA/AA diverse titles that will keep them competitive.  Sony show was good because they pretty much showed all the games their fanbase was looking for so topping that isn't going to happen.  Instead, MS top games need to be compelling enough to make people want to also punt on a new MS console especially if their cheaper console comes in at a nice 200 bucks.  July and August should be interesting.

PotentHerbs said:
sales2099 said:

Never underestimate how much importance we have put on framerates and resolution in the past decade. It isn’t a light switch we can turn off even if we are told the SSD is the next best thing. If Series X can do both better, then a few more seconds of load times won’t mean much in the grand scheme. Sonys games are more or less doing 30fps (the third person adventure games anyway) while Xbox is promoting a 4K/60 FPS standard for their 1st party. We’ll see how gamers respond in the coming months. 

Not to mention it’ll be years before each console truly gets exclusives that make the most of the tech. And Series X also has an edge on ray tracing. 

Xbox is targeting 4K/60FPS which is different from actually hitting those requirements. Even Polyphony Digital is targeting 120FPS. I still think most developers will optimize for 4K/30FPS. The best case scenario is we get a performance mode like Bluepoint is doing with DeS remake (4K/30FPS or 1440P/60FPS). 

The Xbox One X had the power crown since 2017 yet the mainstream & commercial success of the console didn't change. Of course, gamers are still entrenched with higher TF and frame rate, but considering a game like TLOU: Part II is arguably the best looking console game on the weaker machine, it will ultimately fall on the developers to maximise each system.  

It might take years for the consoles to reach its potential, but as it stands, SIE has already proven they can do more with less compared to XGS. As for RT, doesn't that impact performance? I mean, look at Minecraft, a title that isn't that demanding, with full RT it is at 1080P. 

Exactly, 4k and 60fps are nice buzz words but in the end people don't care about them at all when they're playing a game. TLOU2 Is a way more visually impressive game than Gears, for example. Even though TLOU2 runs in 30fps and Gears 5 at 60fps.

Sony will have games that are targeting 30fps and run in 1440p (or checkerboard rendering) and they will likely look way more impressive than a Series X game running at 4k/60fps. Hell even a RTX2080 is already struggling to hit a steady 60fps at 4k with current gen games, which means there won't be much juice left on Series X for boosting overall visual fidelity.

goopy20 said:
PotentHerbs said:

Xbox is targeting 4K/60FPS which is different from actually hitting those requirements. Even Polyphony Digital is targeting 120FPS. I still think most developers will optimize for 4K/30FPS. The best case scenario is we get a performance mode like Bluepoint is doing with DeS remake (4K/30FPS or 1440P/60FPS). 

The Xbox One X had the power crown since 2017 yet the mainstream & commercial success of the console didn't change. Of course, gamers are still entrenched with higher TF and frame rate, but considering a game like TLOU: Part II is arguably the best looking console game on the weaker machine, it will ultimately fall on the developers to maximise each system.  

It might take years for the consoles to reach its potential, but as it stands, SIE has already proven they can do more with less compared to XGS. As for RT, doesn't that impact performance? I mean, look at Minecraft, a title that isn't that demanding, with full RT it is at 1080P. 

Exactly, 4k and 60fps are nice buzz words but in the end people don't care about them at all when they're playing a game. TLOU2 Is a way more visually impressive game than Gears, for example. Even though TLOU2 runs in 30fps and Gears 5 at 60fps.

Sony will have games that are targeting 30fps and run in 1440p (or checkerboard rendering) and they will likely look way more impressive than a Series X game running at 4k/60fps. Hell even a RTX2080 is already struggling to hit a steady 60fps at 4k with current gen games, which means there won't be much juice left on Series X for boosting overall visual fidelity.

this is so stupid that it isn't even funny, ofcourse if you need less resources you can put it in other parts, but that doesn't mean a fps plays better with 30fps vs 60fps
hell if i want a good looking story i might aswell go to the cinema and watch 8k content @24fps

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

People don’t care about resolution or frame rate when playing a game? LOL what am I reading

Also give me 60fps campaign over 30 any day of the week, thanks. Much more impressive, much more responsive.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
People don’t care about resolution or frame rate when playing a game? LOL what am I reading

Also give me 60fps campaign over 30 any day of the week, thanks. Much more impressive, much more responsive.

quite a 360 of opinion from last gen isn't it?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes I know, and I am still expecting a SSM game and possibly a ND game in the second year of PS5.

Given their previous game timetables we won’t see them until around 2023. 

Don't think so, from what we know ND have two teams. So a game in 2021-2022 is likely. SSM only released one game on PS4 because one game was canned before that, so 4 years between releases isn't out of question.

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

I was pretty sure and was right, even said on the reveal that I was right and who was doubting was wrong. Still the game hadn't been leaked or revealed before the event the most we got was a possible tease with 7 cars some days before the event.

Precious that you compare rumour with reveals

The only thing I am comparing is what people expected to be revealed versus what actually was. You said it had been years since Sony revealed any titles and they could show a lot. You had no problem believing that GT7 could not only be shown at the Sony event but launch this year. So it’s weird that now you’re trying to paint this narrative that most people believed Sony would have nothing to show. Everyone knew Horizon and Spider-Man and GT were going to be shown. The only real surprises were the smaller titles like the Rocket League type game and Sackboy and the pack in demo etc.

You asked how a MS event could generate hype by showing gameplay of already known titles but you yourself got super hyped from a Sony event that showcased games you knew were coming. Kirby and sales were right to point that out and none of us are surprised by the double standard. 

To answer your question, it doesn’t really matter if you think or even know a game will be there, seeing it in action is still special and still gets the hype going. Especially something like Halo or Forza Horizon or a new Perfect Dark. Just like you knew Horizon 2 would be at the Sony event but seeing it was still probably special. 

Have we even seen any actual gameplay from a MS first party title on XSX? 

How did everyone knew Spider-Man was going to be shown?

And yes I did say they didn't show any new games for several years because they were preparing for PS5, and that was countered.

Not only know, revealed already, and not only name, but trailers already, which is quite different than fan speculation. Even leaks and lists that were circulating before the show didn't had most of the titles show and listed others.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

shikamaru317 said:
KratosLives said:
And still the focus is not on more exclusives, but clouds, subscription models and competing with google . This will be the demise all over again

How is the focus not on more exclusives? They have more 1st party studios and teams than they have ever had at any point in their 20 year history as a gaming company. 15 studios and somewhere around 22 or more individual teams within those 15 studios. Plus they have numerous 2nd party games in development through Xbox Global Publishing.

They have always had studios working on games, dating back to the glorious original xbox days, but not much variety in quality came out of it. They can buy all they want, but from the statements spencer has made leading up to now,  they seem to have other priorities on top. So i still stand by my comment. I'd love it if they can compete with nintendo and sony on first part games and exclusives, and pump out killer AAA hits. Hopefully this is the majoirity of their big studio games, and not just smaller AA titles. 

goopy20 said:
PotentHerbs said:

So essentially think the masses want pretty pictures instead of smoother gameplay. That said games like Gears 5 are no slouch on the graphics front. Each has a trade off but to me 30fps is hardly next gen, I think we’ve been plying games locked to it for far too long. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

twintail said:
sales2099 said:

So essentially think the masses want pretty pictures instead of smoother gameplay. That said games like Gears 5 are no slouch on the graphics front. Each has a trade off but to me 30fps is hardly next gen, I think we’ve been plying games locked to it for far too long. 

Devs who know how to do 30fps properly can indeed create smooth gameplay. That has been very evident this gen. 

As long as their are graphics that can be pushed, ideas that can be fully explored, AI that can be more advanced, compromises will be made in the frames department. That's reality.

The question comes down to whether studios are going to be willing to allow different modes, like we've seen on PS4 Pro (no idea on Xbox so can't comment to that) where a user can choose between heightened graphics or higher frames. So far we know Demon's Souls will allow this. This is ideally what will happen, so users can choose what they want.

For me the 1st party from Sony mostly played very smoothly. And even the ones that weren't smooth I hadn't real issues. I think the last game I remember seeing problems on smoothness was FFXV.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."