By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games That Should Go In A Different Direction?

Hiku said:

Pokemon seems to be a common one mentioned.

I'd like for them to make it a bit more 'mature'.
As in catering a little bit less to the absolute youngest, and raise that a bit to say 11 years old. The youngest would probably still enjoy it and not notice a difference.

Some of the things I'd like to see change is how every character you meet doesn't have to worship you like a god from the moment you first step out of your town with your lvl 1 Metapod.

"I've now seen the light! Thank you for showing me that I should peruse my dreams."
"Wow, you're strong! I think you have what it takes to beat the Elite four."

Save those types of comments for when you beat your rival, or win a tough/important fight.
Even small kids don't need positive reinforcement on that level relentlessly at virtually every point in the game.

hinch said:

Final Fantasy VII is going in the same path though it is better its still fragmented into smaller games. I miss multiple quality Final Fantasy mainline games in one generation. Something they won't go back to, unfortunately.

It's not a small game.

And there's no way they could have fit everything from the original in this kind of fidelity, even with the insane budget this game already got.
Because the original game was using way too many shortcuts in order to artificially expand the scope of the game, far beyond what was actually possible for a game in 1997. And especially today when everything has to properly function while in high fidelity.
Not knowing that they'd have to remake it 20 years later, they painted themselves into a corner with all the pre rendered backgrounds, CGI Midgar, fixed camera hiding the fact there's nothing but empty space around you everywhere aside from the world map, houses only having 2 walls and no ceiling, world map was lego sized, invisible enemies, etc.

While many games at the time used similar shortcuts, few used as many, and even fewer did so in order to expand the scope as broadly as FF7 did.
And now they have to remake it in high fidelity when none of those shortcuts would be acceptable.
I'd say even just remaking what was in the original (which wouldn't be a functioning game because every house would have only 2 walls and no ceiling, nothing but black space surrounding you with a fixed camera, etc) may not be reasonable to expect. And they had to do way more than that just to make it a functioning game in real time.

There were ever only 2 choices.
Get to the end of the story in one game, while missing a lot of important things people loved. Or make it a multi game series.
The new additions to FF7R is not the reason it's a multi game series. It had to have been regardless. Whether it impacts the numbers of games we'll get is impossible to gauge at this point. But this idea that we could have gotten one game (that fans would be happy with) was never realistic.

That's what I'm trying to say they are too focused on graphics and changing their titles to modern standards. To the point where putting more emphasis on graphics and battle system negatively affects development time. FFVII Remake was announced back in 2015 and has taken then 5 years to complete one part of a game that was done over 23 years ago.

Granted now games do require a lot more resources vs old prerendered FF titles and the expanded scope of the latest FF. I would still settle for less graphics and Chibi art and have a full blown FF title any day. But even if we are looking at older games like FF10 that took only 2 years to make vs 5 years on a remaster. Its kinda lame.

Last edited by hinch - on 26 June 2020

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Final Fantasy should try the radical approach of being a turn based RPG where you control a party of characters.  They should focus on telling an epic story with relatable characters.  They should be willing to sacrifice a bit on graphical fidelity if it means making the other parts of the game better and having a decent release window.

FF change direction at every release.

There has not been a Final Fantasy game with a "pure" turn-based battle system since Final Fantasy X in 2001. In fact, an even better thing could be to bring the good old ATB system back, which has not been featured since Final Fantasy IX in the PlayStation 1! (I think XIII used a similar system though? I am not too sure since I barely played it, but by this I mean carbon copy the 4-9 system with no changes)

In fact, I wonder if a new Final Fantasy IX (where it is a "return to form" in a way) would be a good way for the series, though that definitely overlaps too much with Bravely Default. Maybe bring back the steampunk aesthetic of VI or something instead.

tack50 said:
DonFerrari said:

There has not been a Final Fantasy game with a "pure" turn-based battle system since Final Fantasy X in 2001. In fact, an even better thing could be to bring the good old ATB system back, which has not been featured since Final Fantasy IX in the PlayStation 1! (I think XIII used a similar system though? I am not too sure since I barely played it, but by this I mean carbon copy the 4-9 system with no changes)

In fact, I wonder if a new Final Fantasy IX (where it is a "return to form" in a way) would be a good way for the series, though that definitely overlaps too much with Bravely Default. Maybe bring back the steampunk aesthetic of VI or something instead.

Bold: Yeah i also hope it comes back but i really think it is a bad bet to currently invest an AAA budget into that kind of Battle system,i'm happy enough with smaller scale games.

Nintendo keeps making 2d Zelda,Square Enix can take that same approach and let a smaller team work on old shool Final Fantasy's.

hinch said:

Final Fantasy XV. SE tried pandering to the Western Audience starting with 13 and its sequels and 15 took it to another level.

Announced originally in 2006. It took them well over 10 years to make it and still turned out mediocre, 7 years to move on from the origional FF13. And imo it went even worse with the push to higher fidelity hardware and ARPG. Where they had to split the games over multiple years to finish the story. It wouldn't have taken them this long if they a) stuck to what they were good at - turn based combat b) stopped concentrating too much on graphics and put more into the story. I feel they they haven't learned much since the catastrophic failure that was Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.

Final Fantasy VII is going in the same path though it is better its still fragmented into smaller games. I miss multiple quality Final Fantasy mainline games in one generation. Something they won't go back to, unfortunately.

In fairness, I do not think with current development cycles that having 3 full FF games in a single generation is feasable anymore. Many Final Fantasy games were developed in as little as a year. Other than games which are essencially carbon copies of the last game (like most sports games) or at least reuse tons of assets and still have several development teams (like say Call of Duty), not many games get launched yearly anymore. 

Granted, FF would not need to be a yearly franchise, though to have 3 mainline FF games in this generation, you'd need them to launch in something like 2014-2017-2020. That is doable I suppose but probably not worth it for Square-Enix

Realistically yeah, I can't see them doing a game in 2 years of less now. However they do now have experience in game development using Unreal Engine and can use a lot of assets in the future games so I suspect we'll be seeing more FF16 sooner rather than later. But yeah I still would settle for a new mainline FF game every 5 years, instead of 10 spread out into episodes xP

Around the Network

I do like that they are expanding and adding stuff onto the game that couldn't make it in the origional. I haven't played it yet and it does look good. But honestly FFVII was fine as it was a classic, I didn't really need another take on a game that was done so many years ago but I can understand the want since it has many fans who want more.

But yeah still sticking to my guns JRPGs don't need pretty graphics and its obvious where SE spent their time and budget in the last few FF games they've made. A return to form and roots would be refreshing at this point. Get Sakaguchi back on board, while they're at it.

hinch said:

Realistically yeah, I can't see them doing a game in 2 years of less now. However they do now have experience in game development using Unreal Engine and can use a lot of assets in the future games so I suspect we'll be seeing more FF16 sooner rather than later. But yeah I still would settle for a new mainline FF game every 5 years, instead of 10 spread out into episodes xP

They could if they recycle the engine and/or tweak it, scale it back some. Monolith since 2015 put out 2 Xenoblade sequels. A remake and two 20 hour expansions in the same time it took Square to announce and release part 1 of FF7R.

Last edited by Leynos - on 26 June 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

tack50 said:
DonFerrari said:

you mean there haven't been a mainline right? Because world of final fantasy is turn based. And still FF change every release, you want a specific direction.

Also ATB was done on FF VIIR.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Kirby and Yoshi should get 3D platformers.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Jrpgs going back to turn based and Pokémon actually being a challenge to beat.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.